ADVERTISEMENT

What Program Should Be Better Than It Is?

DJrodey24

Nov 3, 2003
I'd like to know what school has frustrated or confused you about why it isn't better than it is as a football program. Could be a public school with a high tax district or a private school with a big alumni reach.

Curious to what you all think and why you think they should be better.

Hinsdale Central for obvious financial capability and endless resources. Same with LT. Maybe it’s the district?

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Streator. I can understand why they had problems prior to moving to the I8, now ICE, when they were one of the smaller schools in their conference. Brian Hassett took Prairie Central to a title game and a bunch of playoff appearances as one of the smaller schools in the Corn Belt, so Streator was a step up. But only one playoff appearance at Streator? They have 250 more kids than the next biggest school in the ICE...

Reactions: Coalertown44
Hinsdale Central for obvious financial capability and endless resources. Same with LT. Maybe it’s the district?
I 100% agree with this. Since 2015, over 60 kids have gone on to play football at the next level. Notable players include Doug Kramer, starting Center and Captain at Illinois; All 3 Allen brothers who went on to play at MSU, with Brian now the starting Center on the Rams (tore an MCL a couple weeks ago, now on IR); Matt Bjorson currently at Indiana playing TE; and of course Thomas Ives now on the Bears practice squad, and Ian Bunting on the Colts practice squad.

So much talent has come though HCHS, yet the state playoff record is under .500, and have only made it to the Championship game 1 time in school history.

Reactions: Gene K.
New trier, Stevenson, Barrington, York.
Not York. They have to lose plenty of kids to the local private schools and then they only have 1 guaranteed win a year on the schedule(Proviso West) They are going to lose 9 out of 10 years to Glenbard West and Hinsdale Central. Then they are likely to lose more often than they win against LT, OPRF and DGN. Also they have an annual crossover with Willowbrook that has been very strong the last 5 years. Usually they open with a decent team.

Reactions: catsattackfor3
Every private school program should be better. They get to recruit. ;)

St pats
Carmel
Elgin
Waukegan 4,000 plus kids
Morton
Glenbrook south
Lane

Some of these (Elgin, Waukegan, Morton) have zero feeder program, financial backing, or community interest in the sport. Does not matter how large the enrollment is the structure is just not set up for football success . Cannot speak for Carmel and St. Pat's would seem to me Private Schools have more of chance to attract kids to make their programs better.

Montini needs to get better in recruiting kids away from other public and private schools. If they had done better they could be considered an elite team. They need to get some MC and Naz football players to have a chance going forward. All of the above said tongue in cheek so lets laugh together and not take everything so seriously.

I really want to know what everyone is missing when it comes to schools like Waukegan. Schools like this regardless of the enrollment are not going to be good in football
If youre saying what i think your saying, that doesnt excuse Waukegan - Hubbard is 10/90 compared to Waukegan's 25/75 (Curie has similar demos) and has somehow remained, albeit by CPS standards, competitive. I get the feeling a lot of D. 60's talent bleeds west to Warren, north to Z-B and south to NoGo with a few to Carmel and St. Joe of Kenosha for better competitive chances.

If youre saying what i think your saying, that doesnt excuse Waukegan - Hubbard is 10/90 compared to Waukegan's 25/75 (Curie has similar demos) and has somehow remained, albeit by CPS standards, competitive. I get the feeling a lot of D. 60's talent bleeds west to Warren, north to Z-B and south to NoGo with a few to Carmel and St. Joe of Kenosha for better competitive chances.

Hubbard and Curie do not play against a majority of schools that have feeder programs and a football community, Waukegans of the world have very little youth football and have a transient community of move ins move outs and a high rate of first gen students who have not been exposed to football. Then they play large schools who are the complete opposite

Waukegan has a feeder program also Elgin has a fantastic youth program
not like those other schools they face. Waukegan has only won 5 game sin last 5 years and has qualified for the playoffs only once in last 25. under multiple coaches. The argument they have 4,000 kids is a moot point, same for Morton etc. Kids in those schools do not play football

The first step to help Waukegan is to get them out of the nsc lake county and put them with teams like north Chicago and round lake,that will change the culture of loosing!winning helps a lot.
Oddly enough, that's what happening at Elgin and East Aurora in the Upstate Eight.

Neuqua got hurt when they redrew the 204 boundaries with WV when MV opened. Kids who are less than a mile from NV now go to WV. WV got hurt when MV took a decent portion of their talent. Get rid of MV, put the boundaries back to where they used to be, and you’d have two really strong programs.

Also, they need to keep JCA, Benet, Naz, and Montini from raiding the junior ranks out here. I’ll allow St. Francis to continue to do so as my son is a proud Spartan alum and I am a proud SF dad.:cool:

Neuqua got hurt when they redrew the 204 boundaries with WV when MV opened. Kids who are less than a mile from NV now go to WV. WV got hurt when MV took a decent portion of their talent. Get rid of MV, put the boundaries back to where they used to be, and you’d have two really strong programs.

Also, they need to keep JCA, Benet, Naz, and Montini from raiding the junior ranks out here. I’ll allow St. Francis to continue to do so as my son is a proud Spartan alum and I am a proud SF dad.:cool:
Ha, I was told the kids are showing up at their door.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT