ADVERTISEMENT

What do numbers look like

Biggest question I have as far as storylines this season......can the numbers rebound a little bit post COVID delated season....because the overall numbers basically were bad in the spring all over.

Officials are being told to not expect many freshman B games but lots of A games with 5th or even 6th quarters.

If 1 quarter is 1/4 of a whole, how can we have 5 or 6 quarters? I know, I’m being a smart a**. Just having fun with the numbers theme.:p

Do the officials get paid more for the 5th and 6th quarters?
For me it has been awhile since I have done a 5th quarter freshman game, but I think the answer is yes. But sometimes the 5th quarter this is sprung in us last minute.

For me it has been awhile since I have done a 5th quarter freshman game, but I think the answer is yes. But sometimes the 5th quarter this is sprung in us last minute.
Yes we get a little extra. I have never done a "6th quarter" so I don't know what to expect. 5th quarters vary from 10 plays on offense/10 plays on defense to running clock of 10/12/15 minutes to a regular clock 10 minutes play-by-all-the-rules. And they are without a doubt the biggest source of problems on a Saturday morning when the two freshman coaches can't agree on what format to use...

Reactions: Blue Ruin
Hearing MC has 65 Varisty players, but only 17 seniors. 5 Sophs and 42 juniors....This senior class has always been small, it was Coach Franks last recruiting class, which he wasn't very aggressive with and was replaced soon after the exam...Anyway this senior class didn't really have a lot of players transfer, they just had a ton drop off to concentrate on other sports or just stop playing all together....the remaining seniors have a lot of talent, but you'll be seeing a lot of Jr and some Soph on the field....2022 looks bright....2021 wait and see....

Well the good sign down the road is that I saw Hinsdale South is looking for more coaches due to higher turnout at the freshman level. Hoping this trend can spread to the rest of the Chicagoland

Reactions: RD_Watcher
Then subtract how many weren't in the highest class since those don't count and get 3.
They don't all have to be in the highest class. Historically, we play a schedule of teams in the highest and next-highest classes. What's your beef? We don't play those Saturday morning "championships".

That's true. They won only twice in the highest class. But look at their illustrious record in the highest and the second-highest class.

'88
'89
'90
'91
'96
'98
'99

Three in the eighties, five in the nineties, and five in the two-thousands.
2002 was 6A in an 8 class system.

still counts just fine in my book.

West Carroll, a NUIC school of 305 that qualified for the playoffs in 2019, did not have any juniors and seniors that wanted to play, thus forcing cancellation of varsity season.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
That's true. They won only twice in the highest class. But look at their illustrious record in the highest and the second-highest class.

'88
'89
'90
'91
'96
'98
'99
2002*
No need to defend the record. There‘s no shame in not winning the top classification. 1A through 7A all have much to be proud of.

no shame in not winning the top classification. 1
No, of course not. This dispute about the validity of trophies in the lower classes makes no sense to me. But the posts I responded to were about some of the arcane aspects of IHSA champioships. Some of the posters here know more about the history of my school than I do.

Last edited:
I would assume he took your original response as being a smart ass.
Fair enough. I never heard of West Carrol. I looked them up. I think they have 28 players on Varsity so that explains why they didn’t win a game in the spring. No Jr or seniors on the team explains their record.

Our numbers are down for us too at Clark. We are down to 33 Jrs and SRs and only 25 F/S. I'm hoping we get more when school starts

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT