ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 9?!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
The regular season is complete, the brackets are set on to the post season. Before we do, here’s are thoughts from week 9.........

1 - That this figures to be one of the wildest post seasons in memory.
2 - That a team that has to win to get in is a tough foe for any team out there.
3 - That Rice was all the CCL could handle
4 - That some of the first round matchups - Washington-PC, are worthy of semifinal or state title matchups in most years.
5 - That the state really does like Bolingbrook even if Bones doesn’t agree.
6 - That Warrens defense was historically the best the NSC has had - fewest points allows in conf history.
7 - That 1-32 should be able to work for 6 and 5A.
8 - That the MSL West was truly a Mesa this year but the beast of the East will be a beast in 7A
9 - That Edgy’s color selection for the playoff show worked - but the black shirt/red tie from Joe won out.
10 - That it’s an amazing accomplishment to survive 9 weeks and make the playoffs congrats to the 256 that made it.

The regular season is complete, the brackets are set on to the post season. Before we do, here’s are thoughts from week 9.........

2 - That a team that has to win to get in is a tough foe for any team out there.
4 - That some of the first round matchups - Washington-PC, are worthy of semifinal or state title matchups in most years.
6 - That Warrens defense was historically the best the NSC has had - fewest points allows in conf history.
8 - That the MSL West was truly a Mesa this year but the beast of the East will be a beast in 7A
9 - That Edgy’s color selection for the playoff show worked - but the black shirt/red tie from Joe won out.
10 - That it’s an amazing accomplishment to survive 9 weeks and make the playoffs congrats to the 256 that made it.
Great job Newt! Good luck to your boy and to Warren! I look forward to this thread every Sunday!

Reactions: Gene K.

Dude, Souce needs to work on that double Windsor. I’m taking him to Syd Jerome.

16. You guys asked for it.... 6A & 5A, seeded 1 to 32

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Wauconda at #1 Richards
#17 Quincy at #16 Dunlap
#25 Peoria Notre Dame at #8 Shepard
#24 Hinsdale South at #9 Phillips

#29 Crystal Lake South at #4 Antioch
#20 Von Steuben at #13 Niles Notre Dame
#28 Lake Forest at #5 Chatham Glenwood
#21 Springfield at #12 Prairie Ridge

Lower Bracket
#31 Reavis at #2 Washington
#18 Kaneland at #15 Lakes
#26 Lemont at #7 Kenwood
#23 St. Ignatius at #10 Bloomington

#30 Rock Island at #3 Cary-Grove
#19 Crete-Monee at #14 Yorkville
#27 Providence at #6 Normal West
#22 Belvidere North at #11 Sacred Heart-Griffin

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Evergreen Park at #1 Payton
#17 Decatur MacArthur at #16 Back of the Yards
#25 Joliet Catholic at #8 Cahokia
#24 Amundson at #9 Sycamore

#29 Woodstock North at #4 Sterling
#20 Rich East at #13 Carbondale
#28 Jersey at #5 Metamora
#21 Champaign Central at #12 Elmwood Park

Lower Bracket
#31 Phoenix at #2 Hillcrest
#18 Morton at #15 Mattoon
#26 Rochelle at #7 Montini
#23 Mount Zion at #10 St. Francis

#30 Glenbard South at #3 Highland
#19 Mascoutah at #14 Marion
#27 Rich Central at #6 Boylan
#22 Brooks at #11 Hyde Park

17. Joliet Central beat my Joliet West Tigers for the first time since 1989. The Steelmen finish 3-6 which is their best record since the two schools went back to their own sports programs. Former JCA/Illini guy Brett Boyter is doing some magic at the old limestone building.

18. Geneseo finished with its first losing seasons in 55 years.

That CG can still produce without Daigle and Priester . However their pass coverage was hurting a bit.

16. You guys asked for it.... 6A & 5A, seeded 1 to 32

~~~ 6A ~~~

Upper Bracket
#32 Wauconda at #1 Richards
#17 Quincy at #16 Dunlap
#25 Peoria Notre Dame at #8 Shepard
#24 Hinsdale South at #9 Phillips

#29 Crystal Lake South at #4 Antioch
#20 Von Steuben at #13 Niles Notre Dame
#28 Lake Forest at #5 Chatham Glenwood
#21 Springfield at #12 Prairie Ridge

Lower Bracket
#31 Reavis at #2 Washington
#18 Kaneland at #15 Lakes
#26 Lemont at #7 Kenwood
#23 St. Ignatius at #10 Bloomington

#30 Rock Island at #3 Cary-Grove
#19 Crete-Monee at #14 Yorkville
#27 Providence at #6 Normal West
#22 Belvidere North at #11 Sacred Heart-Griffin

~~~ 5A ~~~

Upper Bracket

#32 Evergreen Park at #1 Payton
#17 Decatur MacArthur at #16 Back of the Yards
#25 Joliet Catholic at #8 Cahokia
#24 Amundson at #9 Sycamore

#29 Woodstock North at #4 Sterling
#20 Rich East at #13 Carbondale
#28 Jersey at #5 Metamora
#21 Champaign Central at #12 Elmwood Park

Lower Bracket
#31 Phoenix at #2 Hillcrest
#18 Morton at #15 Mattoon
#26 Rochelle at #7 Montini
#23 Mount Zion at #10 St. Francis

#30 Glenbard South at #3 Highland
#19 Mascoutah at #14 Marion
#27 Rich Central at #6 Boylan
#22 Brooks at #11 Hyde Park

I think alot of people in 6A north wish this was the case. In reality.....CG, PR and Phillips...Only one makes the semi-final. Darn shame (unless you're cheering for anyone else in 6A that is :D

Reactions: Relist8 and CG Fan
Provi defense still solid, too bad they wind up on the field for 75% of the game because of continuous offense 3 and outs. Damn kids where exhausted by end of BR, MCHS and LA games. Provi offense had a Jekyll and Hyde season. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Live by the run, die by the run. First team to stack box with 7 and shut down PC run ends our season. Let’s see what Washington has, then SHG, then C-M and so on.

Best of luck to all 256 teams! I’ll be going for all ESCC and CCL teams (now that we are all one big happy family) unless they play PC of course. Sorry MC63 but I will be cheering on Jordan and the Caravan in 7A. I know this bothers you. Sorry brother.

Provi defense still solid, too bad they wind up on the field for 75% of the game because of continuous offense 3 and outs. Damn kids where exhausted by end of BR, MCHS and LA games. Provi offense had a Jekyll and Hyde season. Live by the sword, die by the sword. Live by the run, die by the run. First team to stack box with 7 and shut down PC run ends our season. Let’s see what Washington has, then SHG, then C-M and so on.

Best of luck to all 256 teams! I’ll be going for all ESCC and CCL teams (now that we are all one big happy family) unless they play PC of course. Sorry MC63 but I will be cheering on Jordan and the Caravan in 7A. I know this bothers you. Sorry brother.

all of provi's losses were by 20+ points? def solid maybe against teams that did not have an offense. teams have determined how to make provi one dimensional, that needs to get fixed this week, otherwise wash is going to run all over provi. shg or quincy for that matter will wear that defense out if you cannot keep them off the field.
I love your enthusiasm, take it one a time.

all of provi's losses were by 20+ points? def solid maybe against teams that did not have an offense.

I think his point is the one-dimensional nature of the O brings the D to its knees late in games. Montini hung with BR for the 1st half but 3 and outs by your O kill even a great D.

I think his point is the one-dimensional nature of the O brings the D to its knees late in games. Montini hung with BR for the 1st half but 3 and outs by your O kill even a great D.

I understand the concept. I get it. but, you need to be balanced throughout the game your o needs to compliment your d get them some rest, same way your d needs to compliment your o and get some field possessions. cannot continue to have to run the entire length of the field. o needs to be able to control the clock, and the d needs to get the o in field position.
if you cannot accomplish one of the these two phases you are depending solely on a one dimensional team. either side of the ball. is all i am saying.
I just do not understand how some will say it is the offenses or defenses fault, it takes both.

I just do not understand how some will say it is the offenses or defenses fault, it takes both.

Football 101. If one side of the ball cannot produce at all, the other side gets massacred.

Look at it this way: Matt Ryan is having a killer year for the Falcons. The Falcons cannot do anything defensively so Ryan has to chuck the ball the entire game to keep pace. This kills the running game and creates more short possessions with limited time coming off the clock which keeps the bad D on the field more.

So it 100% can be one side of the ball that wipes out a team.

all of provi's losses were by 20+ points? def solid maybe against teams that did not have an offense. teams have determined how to make provi one dimensional, that needs to get fixed this week, otherwise wash is going to run all over provi. shg or quincy for that matter will wear that defense out if you cannot keep them off the field.
I love your enthusiasm, take it one a time.
20-0 to BR, 27-3 to MCHS and 28-7 to LA. All 3 games PC turnovers (blocked punt and fumbles) deep in our own territory led to opponents TDs.

20-0 to BR, 27-3 to MCHS and 28-7 to LA. All 3 games PC turnovers (blocked punt and fumbles) deep in our own territory led to opponents TDs.

but, by your analogy, no take aways for the d which gave the o opportunity to score. I get it. both have to play well. a yes the o has to first downs to rest the d. but, the d needs to also shorten the field for o. especially if it is struggling.

Football 101. If one side of the ball cannot produce at all, the other side gets massacred.

Look at it this way: Matt Ryan is having a killer year for the Falcons. The Falcons cannot do anything defensively so Ryan has to chuck the ball the entire game to keep pace. This kills the running game and creates more short possessions with limited time coming off the clock which keeps the bad D on the field more.

So it 100% can be one side of the ball that wipes out a team.

what??? if they are scoring, it does not matter how long it takes for them to score. they can take time off the clock, yes sometimes you have to depend o your defense to old make a critical stop.
but, by your analogy, if ryan is that good to score 2mins with one long pass, why cant they take off 8-10mins and score? sounds like falcons best defense can/should be their offense. if you do not let the opposing offenses on the field they would not need to play catch up as you suggest.

and my point is, then if you are a team relying solely on oneside the ball, then you should be game planning better then. and work towards your strengths. not simply blaming.

...and my point is, then if you are a team relying solely on oneside the ball, then you should be game planning better then. and work towards your strengths. not simply blaming.

Sometimes the truth is painful too, but it doesn't make it untrue.

Re PC, I don't understand why best o lineman is playing centre with a 280lber on the bench. A switch here would change the dynamic and give other options at fullback. I don't understand why kids aren't playing both ways to beef up and help D, especially on the d line ends and olb. signed, clueless.

Re PC, I don't understand why best o lineman is playing centre with a 280lber on the bench. A switch here would change the dynamic and give other options at fullback. I don't understand why kids aren't playing both ways to beef up and help D, especially on the d line ends and olb. signed, clueless.
Great question

Sounds a lot like JCA. Lmao.

Not exactly. Not going to quibble or split hairs. You also picked one off inside your own 10 against SR in a game PC won 12-7. Goes both ways. I love PC football. It's their dads and fans that get under my skin.

When >50% of your offense runs between the tackles, having a premier OL at Center is imperative. The PC coaching is the best thing you have going for you right now. I wouldn't second guess them. According to PC Dad the defense is fine and doesn't need any beefing up. I don't agree but that's just my opinion. Great topics for debate at the tailgate.

When >50% of your offense runs between the tackles, having a premier OL at Center is imperative. The PC coaching is the best thing you have going for you right now. I wouldn't second guess them. According to PC Dad the defense is fine and doesn't need any beefing up. I don't agree but that's just my opinion. Great topics for debate at the tailgate.
PC coaching doing a good job. Things got challenging when Conway went down with injury. Weber could have filled the void but he gone. Phillips got put in challenging role as a senior who was had no varsity experience with Provi. Manikowski is a DB and has done a good job so far. Who am I to question the coaching staff. My concern is the predictability of PCs offense. It didn’t take long for teams to figure out the Martus/Vaughn magic. Stack the box - done. Where is the jet sweep? Where is the bubble screen? Where are the quick down and outs? 75 total yards against LA was hard to watch. Snaps over QBs head in game 9 (game 1, ok; game 9, no) was hard to watch. Why run up the middle against a Holechek groomed LB core? I can’t imagine Washington will bode a defense like BR, Montini or LA which should help PC move the ball. If they stop our run then what?

PC coaching doing a good job. Things got challenging when Conway went down with injury. Weber could have filled the void but he gone. Phillips got put in challenging role as a senior who was had no varsity experience with Provi. Manikowski is a DB and has done a good job so far. Who am I to question the coaching staff. My concern is the predictability of PCs offense. It didn’t take long for teams to figure out the Martus/Vaughn magic. Stack the box - done. Where is the jet sweep? Where is the bubble screen? Where are the quick down and outs? 75 total yards against LA was hard to watch. Snaps over QBs head in game 9 (game 1, ok; game 9, no) was hard to watch. Why run up the middle against a Holechek groomed LB core? I can’t imagine Washington will bode a defense like BR, Montini or LA which should help PC move the ball. If they stop our run then what?
Dad,
The wind was brutal. LA had some trouble too. PC is a good team they will make a run in the PO’s.

This!

I feel that pain! But my pain is more related to being zero dimensional. :(

When you can only put up 14 points on Metea’s D and your counterparts are putting 40 to 50 up on the same D in a game with a running clock. That tells you that a lot needs to be revamped on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT