ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 7!?!?

West Aurora Lost 18 starters from last year... So it would be expected that they took a step back. Nothing to do with the conference they are in.
You don't say?
How many returning starters did Plainfield N and Plainfield S lose? Yet WA was able to beat Romeoville and Joliet Central despite losing 18 starters. How many starters did the Steelmen and Spartans lose?

I'm convinced South Elgin will never get any credit. Maybe that's right or maybe that's wrong but there will be no love on Edgytim.

The Elgin & East Aurora stories are amazing. Same with Burlington Central.
Burlington Central is new to the FVC. I don’t know much about them. What do you find amazing about their story? I’d like to learn more about them.

They're 14 years old. As a school. But overall I agree with you.

St Charles North and LWE are 18 years old. LWW and LWN are10 years old.

LWE won a championship in five years.

i’m sure there are more that can be added

So it can be done in 14 years

Reactions: Bowie50
St Charles North and LWE are 18 years old. LWW and LWN are10 years old.

LWE won a championship in five years.

i’m sure there are more that can be added

So it can be done in 14 years

Very valid points and duly noted. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't LWE spawn off of a State Champion LW in the late 90's? Where the majority of those kids went to the 'new' school? I might be wrong.

Also, SCN is a great story, but SE and Bartlett and facing a different demographic and make-up in U46 than the St. Charles schools. Might be a factor.

Either way, this is not to say that LWE is not a complete powerhouse, more so just pointing out that all schools and areas are not created equal.

U46 cut middle school football a decade ago. LW has a thriving youth program in almost every sport. Not an apples-to-apples comparison.

Just my opinion.

Obviously I’m biased, but I think Oswego wins that game in ‘18.

Could be true. But West Aurora has had a plethora of Division I talent (and some that had to go to Junior College but could've been) and they took Maine South to the wire the year, or two before.

Burlington Central is new to the FVC. I don’t know much about them. What do you find amazing about their story? I’d like to learn more about them.

Just a small, farm school competing against schools much bigger in size and beating Jacobs, a team that has gone to the quarterfinals in the past. Nice little story forming there. I don't think they'll truly win a title, but their head coach has done a nice job thus far.

Reactions: Relist8 and Gene K.
Just a small, farm school competing against schools much bigger in size and beating Jacobs, a team that has gone to the quarterfinals in the past. Nice little story forming there. I don't think they'll truly win a title, but their head coach has done a nice job thus far.
. Good point. BC is the smallest school in the FVC. They are doing better than l expected. Good for them.

Not understanding why they signed up for that. Enrollment of 1,000 facing schools twice and three times their size. Good for them beating Jacobs though.

Reactions: Relist8
Not understanding why they signed up for that. Enrollment of 1,000 facing schools twice and three times their size. Good for them beating Jacobs though.

Most thought they'd join UEC, but their District forced all 3 schools to stay together.

Very valid points and duly noted. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't LWE spawn off of a State Champion LW in the late 90's? Where the majority of those kids went to the 'new' school? I might be wrong.
LW was split into two campuses with the current Central buildings housing juniors and seniors and the East building housing freshmen and sophomores. When they split into two separate schools in 2001-2 the seniors stayed at Central and East had no seniors the first year. I don’t think that there was any majority of football players going to East in comparison to those staying at Central.

LW was split into two campuses with the current Central buildings housing juniors and seniors and the East building housing freshmen and sophomores. When they split into two separate schools in 2001-2 the seniors stayed at Central and East had no seniors the first year. I don’t think that there was any majority of football players going to East in comparison to those staying at Central.

Right. But then eventually the more affluent, youth-football playing kids made their way over...correct?

Right. But then eventually the more affluent, youth-football playing kids made their way over...correct?
I honestly don’t think I would say that.
But what you did have was three really big, really strong youth football programs with almost all of the kids feeding into East.
There was the Burros, who had been around for many years. The Frankfort Square Wildcats, founded in 1998. The Frankfort Falcons, founded in 2004. Those organizations each had between 4 and 12 tackle teams at the time.

Reactions: Gene K.
But what you did have was three really big, really strong youth football programs with almost all of the kids feeding into East.
There was the Burros, who had been around for many years. The Frankfort Square Wildcats, founded in 1998. The Frankfort Falcons, founded in 2004. Those organizations each had between 4 and 12 tackle teams at the time.
And what you have at LWE for at least the last half decade (as well as MS in Park Ridge for a couple of decades) is a public school’s football program pinnacle: Families seeking out homes in that district from the local realtor.

Congrats to both programs on becoming that influential to some families. No sarcasm. It’s difficult and amazing.

Could be true. But West Aurora has had a plethora of Division I talent (and some that had to go to Junior College but could've been) and they took Maine South to the wire the year, or two before.
A plethora? I've got Warren and the DE (who I believe benefitted greatly from Warren's presence) from the 2018 team. That Calpreps (I know it's not 100% accurate, but it is fun to mess with) site has WA going 5-4 in the South Suburban Prairie in 2018.

Very valid points and duly noted. However, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't LWE spawn off of a State Champion LW in the late 90's? Where the majority of those kids went to the 'new' school? I might be wrong

the LW championship was 1997. The first football team was all juniors in 2001 so they were sixth grade then if my math is correct. The school split was pretty equal not one group really better than the other.

And if affluence mattered in football, New Trier would be champions every year and ESL would not be heard of.

Reactions: NapervilleBuck
And if affluence mattered in football, New Trier would be champions every year and ESL would not be heard of.

Your reasoning proves that affluence is not determinative. It certainly doesn't prove that affluence does not matter. Many, many factors play a role in football success. Affluence, and the willing to spend that affluence on resources for the football program, certainly could play a role.

Your reasoning proves that affluence is not determinative. It certainly doesn't prove that affluence does not matter. Many, many factors play a role in football success. Affluence, and the willing to spend that affluence on resources for the football program, certainly could play a role.

you are correct that many factors play a role. Genetics play the biggest role. Kids who have athletes for parents/ grandparents are more likely to be athletic. Affluence cannot create talent. It can bring out the best in what an athlete has but if you don’t have the talent, no amount of money can make you elite.

you are correct that many factors play a role. Genetics play the biggest role. Kids who have athletes for parents/ grandparents are more likely to be athletic. Affluence cannot create talent. It can bring out the best in what an athlete has but if you don’t have the talent, no amount of money can make you elite.
When you say talent you mean genetics? I see MANY 6'5 TEs in Illinois HS football that are getting D1 offers and they have no talent.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
When you say talent you mean genetics? I see MANY 6'5 TEs in Illinois HS football that are getting D1 offers and they have no talent.
when you say no talent, can they not block, catch, run routes. I've seen 3 that appear to be committed to Iowa (I believe Iowa knows a TE when they see one).

I learned this week that Marist’s lease in Nazareth’s head seems to have run out, but it didn’t happen until the second quarter.

Brother Rice is primed for a first round exit. That's assuming they beat CoM and make the playoffs. They won't be beating MC. Edit: Some may have learned prior to week 7.

Burros went to Central and Wildcats and Falcons went to East. The Falcons came along 3-4 years later after the split.

Burros went to Central and Wildcats and Falcons went to East. The Falcons came along 3-4 years later after the split.
Actually most of the Burros didn’t go to Central. The Burros were based out of Mokena which was District 159 which fed into LWE From the time LWE opened in 2001 until the closing of LWN in 2016.
Mokena 159 feeds into LWC since 2016.

Reactions: forlouann
Actually most of the Burros didn’t go to Central. The Burros were based out of Mokena which was District 159 which fed into LWE From the time LWE opened in 2001 until the closing of LWN in 2016.
Mokena 159 feeds into LWC since 2016.

My bad. You are correct. I was completely thinking recently and should of known better. My sons played for Burros then moved to the Wildcats. They knew kids from both programs and when they went to East they were all reunited. I feel silly for forgetting the guys from Mokena. Lol

Reactions: Bwm57
My bad. You are correct. I was completely thinking recently and should of known better. My sons played for Burros then moved to the Wildcats. They knew kids from both programs and when they went to East they were all reunited. I feel silly for forgetting the guys from Mokena. Lol
Hey, you have a pretty good memory for most everything. Hard to remember how every one moved around back then.
I remember those Wildcat teams your kids were on.

Let’s not forget the Mokena Park District battle with the Mokena Burros and Junior Griffins. Practice and games were conducted at the what is now the Meijer Parking lot...which was about the same for the players back then as far as abrasions were concerned. When the love fest was reinstated and the Jr. Griffins disbanded, a new Meijer scoreboard was installed at Main Park in Mokena. That was a mess at the time.

Let’s not forget the Mokena Park District battle with the Mokena Burros and Junior Griffins. Practice and games were conducted at the what is now the Meijer Parking lot...which was about the same for the players back then as far as abrasions were concerned. When the love fest was reinstated and the Jr. Griffins disbanded, a new Meijer scoreboard was installed at Main Park in Mokena. That was a mess at the time.

I did not learn any of this in Week 7.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT