ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 7!?!?

I just watched the warren vs lake Zurich game.Looks like warren might have best defense in state,especially in red zone,running game was solid,but passing game was a big question mark for me.To win state I think passing game will have to get better.

Bulldog, you may be dead on about South Elgin. But when you play in a closed conference, it is really difficult to tell.

If this is the same group of players I remember from a few years back when I was coaching youth football, they were pretty good. But again, it is hard to tell when South Elgin's first four games are against what I would call, non-traditional football powers.

Also, to waltz in here and make some bold statements that the MSL East and West are bad, I would say you are outkicking your coverage here. And that the WSC and NSC, minus a couple of teams, are also bad, I believe you now have shanked a kick out of bounds.

South Elgin is a good story and they will be fun to watch how they do. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

Thanks for the comment. Well stated and good points. I'm not saying that the traditional 'powers' of the MSL are bad...I'm just saying they are down this year. They are. This years' Fremd, Barrington, Palatine, Conant, HE...are simply not as good as they usually are. Although there could be arguments made about their overall playoff success...since most on here use that as a barometer. As for the MSL East...not very good. Beat up on CSL North schools and each other. Hersey looks strong, but the old school powers of Prospect and Meadows are not what they once were. Participation numbers are down and so are the talent levels.

As for SE, I don't have a dog in the race but have seen them play and they are better than some on here think. I actually root for a West Suburban Silver school since I work there.

My overall point is that some traditionally strong conferences are down for this year. We rat on the UEC, and most of it is warranted, but the same issues apply elsewhere. Except the Catholic Leagues.

What is your definition of a quality team? I'm very confident SE can beat half the teams in edgy Tim's power 30 rankings.
Please name 15 teams in Edgy’s top 30 that SE would beat. I’ve got maybe 4.

Thanks for the comment. Well stated and good points. I'm not saying that the traditional 'powers' of the MSL are bad...I'm just saying they are down this year. They are. This years' Fremd, Barrington, Palatine, Conant, HE...are simply not as good as they usually are. Although there could be arguments made about their overall playoff success...since most on here use that as a barometer. As for the MSL East...not very good. Beat up on CSL North schools and each other. Hersey looks strong, but the old school powers of Prospect and Meadows are not what they once were. Participation numbers are down and so are the talent levels.

As for SE, I don't have a dog in the race but have seen them play and they are better than some on here think. I actually root for a West Suburban Silver school since I work there.

My overall point is that some traditionally strong conferences are down for this year. We rat on the UEC, and most of it is warranted, but the same issues apply elsewhere. Except the Catholic Leagues.

since you’ve hijacked my thread I must ask - have you seen Hersey, Meadows or Prospect play?

i easy to make assumptions by reading the paper, but just about everyone who has seen Hersey and Meadows in particular state emphatically they are legit. I suggest a ticket in two weeks when they play.

trying to talk down about one conference while building your case for your own conference doesn’t play well particularly when you haven’t seen everyone play.

Meadows, Prospect, and hersey are a combined 19-2.

if you want to talk schedules South Elgin has played only two teams with winning records. Hersey has played 3 Meadows two and Prospect 3.

now what will all this mean in two weeks? Nothing. Not a thing. It’s all about draw.

so before you go trashing other conferences to make yourself feel better I’d pump the brakes. the MSL is down but I would say the overall quality of play in the state is down too.

Further the MSL has a fairly strong history in the playoffs - particularly the East. Hoffman was just in the semis and palatine made several deep runs the last few years.

and if you’re looking for the history of the East, BG, Hersey and Prospect all have state titles.

I’ve got nothing against SE. I hope they do well. However, to garner “credibility” (not my word) on this board, a team needs to have sustained success in the PO’s.

It will be.tough for SE but if they get a good draw in round 1 and win that one they could get on a roll. I always like the Cinderella team.

Is that true? What would that matter though? A transient kid makes his way to a 3rd school is somehow equivalent to an All-Star Team? What are you saying? Loyola is clearly a stronger program than almost all of 8A. Who's arguing that? But they do get kids from a significantly larger area than any public school.

Actually, 4th team ..Marcus Gillespie.

Went Hoff Estates -> Glenbard North -> Palatine -> South Elgin

I’ve got nothing against SE. I hope they do well. However, to garner “credibility” (not my word) on this board, a team needs to have sustained success in the PO’s.

They're 14 years old. As a school. But overall I agree with you.

Sorry Newt. Answers are in your thread. I tried posting the answers but it came out sloppy.

Also, if we only go by history, Warren would be a non-player since they've never made it past the qtrs.

That would be foolish. Programs grow, and some fade. Things change. Prospect was a nobody before 2001.

Reactions: RockSoup
since you’ve hijacked my thread I must ask - have you seen Hersey, Meadows or Prospect play?

i easy to make assumptions by reading the paper, but just about everyone who has seen Hersey and Meadows in particular state emphatically they are legit. I suggest a ticket in two weeks when they play.

trying to talk down about one conference while building your case for your own conference doesn’t play well particularly when you haven’t seen everyone play.

if you want to talk schedules South Elgin has played only two teams with winning records. Hersey has played 3 Meadows two and Prospect 3.

now what will all this mean in two weeks? Nothing. Not a thing. It’s all about draw.

so before you go trashing other conferences to make yourself feel better I’d pump the brakes. the MSL is down but I would say the overall quality of play in the state is down too.

Further the MSL has a fairly strong history in the playoffs - particularly the East. Hoffman was just in the semis and palatine made several deep runs the last few years.

and if you’re looking for the history of the East, BG, Hersey and Prospect all have state titles.

Answer: Yes. All 3 this year. Hersey's QB is real deal. Defense well coached. Prospect is not tough like they used to be. Getting there. Meadows is in a 'down' year for them. Tells you how good they've been.

Answer: Seen them both.

Answer: See above. But I will remind you that my intent was not to talk UP the UEC. Just point out that previous years' success is not necessarily tied to future success, or failure. See Hersey in 1986 and 1987.

Answer: vs. a Weak MSL East and CSL North. You made my point. Bartlett, SE, GBE are a combined 19-2 as well.

Answer: Sounds similar. 3 is only 1 more than 2.

Answer: Correct.

Answer: This was my point. Didn't trash them. Pointed this out and you just agreed. Thank you. Read slower so your comprehension improves.

Answer: Very true. Barrington played for state in '99. Schaumburg as well if I remember correctly. Prospect won 3 (2000's), BG won 1, Hersey won 1...all in the 80's after combining with a closed Arlington and Forest View. Elk Grove was a power in the 70's. WHAT does that have to do with 2019?

Reactions: Q5clan
They can't do much in 8a. I don't see it happening.
Glenbard East and West Aurora dominated the Upstate Eight Conference last year and neither one of them came close to making the quarterfinals. However, eleven years ago (2008) Bartlett made a run to the 8A semifinals, so with a favorable bracket setup South Elgin might be able to do a little damage. I'm going to guess they make the quarterfinals and go no further.

I guess we all never forgot how cold it can get. But I’m still defrosting from Friday.

1 - That great things are happening at East Aurora and Proviso East.
2 - That GBN and SCE might be the two best teams in the Dukane
3 - That showdown week awaits in the WSC.
4 - That rice went from good rice to sticky rice to not so good rice.
5 - That Naz got Marist - what happened to Marist?
6 - That for one night Ian Ridge was the man at Elk Grove.
7 - That what we thought about the MSL west after last week is all bologna.
8 - That, and this is my take, if you finish the regular season with a losing record their should be no soup for you.
9 - That Catch-22 has graced us again - oh happy, happy, joy, joy.
10 - That Carmel Catholic is just not the same football program it was 4 maybe even 5 years ago.

hard to believe just two weeks remain but the best is yet to come.
That Lena-Winslow will win the 1A state championship.

Glenbard East and West Aurora dominated the Upstate Eight Conference last year and neither one of them came close to making the quarterfinals. However, eleven years ago (2008) Bartlett made a run to the 8A semifinals, so with a favorable bracket setup South Elgin might be able to do a little damage. I'm going to guess they make the quarterfinals and go no further.

Couple things, SE and West Aurora had been sitting on top of the conference in recent years. West Aurora went to the SW Prairie and struggled. Also, the latest guess by Soucie has SE meeting LA in the 2nd Rd.

Reactions: Bowie50
Couple things, SE and West Aurora had been sitting on top of the conference in recent years. West Aurora went to the SW Prairie and struggled. Also, the latest guess by Soucie has SE meeting LA in the 2nd Rd.

:(

Well, if they do in fact meet Loyola in the second round, then the round of 16 is as far as South Elgin gets. It is highly unlikely they would beat Loyola.

I just watched the warren vs lake Zurich game.Looks like warren might have best defense in state,especially in red zone,running game was solid,but passing game was a big question mark for me.To win state I think passing game will have to get better.
What top 8A school (LA, LWE ) has a top flight pass game. You pass enough to stay balance. They have AJ Hennings type kid (Christian Phillips - CP) with top notch speed and an explosive slot guy ... plus a rushing offense with size & speed. Warren grinds you offensively and defensively ! They are like the 85 Bears and Ray Lewis Ravens. It is not pretty but effective.

Reactions: RockSoup
It will be.tough for SE but if they get a good draw in round 1 and win that one they could get on a roll. I always like the Cinderella team.
What top 8A school (LA, LWE ) has a top flight pass game. You pass enough to stay balance. They have AJ Hennings type kid (Christian Phillips - CP) with top notch speed and an explosive slot guy ... plus a rushing offense with size & speed. Warren grinds you offensively and defensively ! They are like the 85 Bears and Ray Lewis Ravens. It is not pretty but effective.
Gotta give you props for pumping up your team. Just like the 2005 White Sox, don’t stop believing.

I can’t believe you say they are like the 85 Bears or the Ravens. It’s HS and really that’s a bad comparison for any HS team. Hey I am just crabby I guess.:D

West Aurora Lost 18 starters from last year... So it would be expected that they took a step back. Nothing to do with the conference they are in.

West Aurora Lost 18 starters from last year... So it would be expected that they took a step back. Nothing to do with the conference they are in.

Apparently only 'their' teams are allowed a year to step back. Losing 18 starters and a transfer to Brother Rice is no big deal...

Neuqua does. They have a D1 QB and a D1 WR plus two other WRs who will play on Saturdays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT