ADVERTISEMENT

What did we learn week 7!?!?

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
I guess we all never forgot how cold it can get. But I’m still defrosting from Friday.

1 - That great things are happening at East Aurora and Proviso East.
2 - That GBN and SCE might be the two best teams in the Dukane
3 - That showdown week awaits in the WSC.
4 - That rice went from good rice to sticky rice to not so good rice.
5 - That Naz got Marist - what happened to Marist?
6 - That for one night Ian Ridge was the man at Elk Grove.
7 - That what we thought about the MSL west after last week is all bologna.
8 - That, and this is my take, if you finish the regular season with a losing record their should be no soup for you.
9 - That Catch-22 has graced us again - oh happy, happy, joy, joy.
10 - That Carmel Catholic is just not the same football program it was 4 maybe even 5 years ago.

hard to believe just two weeks remain but the best is yet to come.

That we didn't learn too much this week, but that next week we will learn some of the season's most instructive lessons.

I guess we all never forgot how cold it can get. But I’m still defrosting from Friday.

1 - That great things are happening at East Aurora and Proviso East.

hard to believe just two weeks remain but the best is yet to come.

Elgin High School too!

Also, that South Elgin may actually be that good. Glenbards East and South were supposed to be competition but were not..guess we'll see what happens with Bartlett this week.

Last edited:
Elgin High School too!

Also, that South Elgin may actually be that good. Glenbards East and South were supposed to be competition but were not..guess we'll see what happen with Bartlett this week.

I'm convinced South Elgin will never get any credit. Maybe that's right or maybe that's wrong but there will be no love on Edgytim.

The Elgin & East Aurora stories are amazing. Same with Burlington Central.

it's hard to look at the projected brackets realistically, because with a possible city strike it could really change and shift some brackets.( I know it's a lot of work but I'd love it if they came up with a projected bracket subtracting all city playoff teams and see what that looks like)

They will get credit once they beat a quality team. So we will have to wait until the playoffs
What is your definition of a quality team? I'm very confident SE can beat half the teams in edgy Tim's power 30 rankings.

A team that will actually be competitive come playoff time. I'm not saying SE is bad, I'm saying we have zero clue how good they are since the conference is so terrible.

MSL East & West are bad this year. WSS, sans GBW, is bad. NSC, sans Warren, is bad. It's everywhere.

MSL East & West are bad this year. WSS, sans GBW, is bad. NSC, sans Warren, is bad. It's everywhere.

Wait a second, isn’t Hinsdale Central also in WSS? Also, Stevenson and Lake Zurich may be down this year but those are traditionally solid teams with playoff pedigrees. The Upstate Eight besides SE doesn’t have that same recent history.

I know it must be confusing to you that the conferences you mentioned have parity since you have witnessed none all season. However, I believe Hersey, Rolling Meadows, Prospect, Barrington, Fremd, Conant, LZ, and Stevenson all give SE a tough game if not outright beat them. Slow your roll.

Wait a second, isn’t Hinsdale Central also in WSS? Also, Stevenson and Lake Zurich may be down this year but those are traditionally solid teams with playoff pedigrees. The Upstate Eight besides SE doesn’t have that same recent history.

True. But what does another year's history have to do with 2019? Stevie and LZ are down big-time. Not bad programs but seriously down. Doesn't mean they won't be back. Anything can happen...look at STCE! They beat STCN by 10 points. That almost never happens.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
I know it must be confusing to you that the conferences you mentioned have parity since you have witnessed none all season. However, I believe Hersey, Rolling Meadows, Prospect, Barrington, Fremd, Conant, LZ, and Stevenson all give SE a tough game if not outright beat them. Slow your roll.

Not at all true. Clearly you haven't actually watched a game. GBE smoked Prospect last year. Got smoked this year. The MSL East is reaping the rewards of playing the CSL North. Slow down.

Reactions: Googertys Dog
I doubt SE would want to see LA in any round. But then again, they only have players from their area. Tough to beat the Northern Chicago Area All-Star Team. Not many teams do.
They got a kid that transferred in as a SR who’s at his 3rd high school. He was one of the biggest free agents this offseason, spare me.

They got a kid that transferred in as a SR who’s at his 3rd high school. He was one of the biggest free agents this offseason, spare me.

Is that true? What would that matter though? A transient kid makes his way to a 3rd school is somehow equivalent to an All-Star Team? What are you saying? Loyola is clearly a stronger program than almost all of 8A. Who's arguing that? But they do get kids from a significantly larger area than any public school.

Not at all true. Clearly you haven't actually watched a game. GBE smoked Prospect last year. Got smoked this year. The MSL East is reaping the rewards of playing the CSL North. Slow down.
I haven't? You mention last year, when we are talking about this year. This is not the same GBE as last year, just like I doubt this is the same SE as last year (seem to be better). So I guess I'm missing your point. If you don't think the 3 MSL East teams I've mentioned would be considered quality teams this year there's not much I can do for you I suppose.

You have not watched a game. Also, most years, the MSL is solid. This year, it is down. That's my point. As are several notable conferences.

True. But what does another year's history have to do with 2019? Stevie and LZ are down big-time. Not bad programs but seriously down. Doesn't mean they won't be back. Anything can happen...look at STCE! They beat STCN by 10 points. That almost never happens.

Interesting argument you’re trying to make but let’s face it recent history does usually speak to the overall strength of a particular conference. Batavia, STCE, STCN and Geneva bolted from the Upstate Eight in large part because the conference lacked parity. Beating up on Streamwood, Larkin, Elgin, West Chicago, East Aurora, etc. actually can hurt a good team like SE because the lack of competition means not having to step your game up and overcome adversity. Having your starters pulled half way through the third quarter in most of your regular season games doesn’t build the momentum you want for a deep playoff run.

Interesting argument you’re trying to make but let’s face it recent history does usually speak to the overall strength of a particular conference. Batavia, STCE, STCN and Geneva bolted from the Upstate Eight in large part because the conference lacked parity. Beating up on Streamwood, Larkin, Elgin, West Chicago, East Aurora, etc. actually can hurt a good team like SE because the lack of competition means not having to step your game up and overcome adversity. Having your starters pulled half way through the third quarter in most of your regular season games doesn’t build the momentum you want for a deep playoff run.

Absolutely. I agree. Not sure Bartlett and SE had much choice though. U46 will force them to stay together and the 4 tri-city schools left on their own.

That whoever took St Joseph and the points this week won big time!

Is St Joe's really injured or were they all just betting the house on themselves and taking the points??

====

Line - St Joes +56

Final Montini 2 St Joseph 0 Forfeit

Last edited:
You have not watched a game. Also, most years, the MSL is solid. This year, it is down. That's my point. As are several notable conferences.

Bulldog, you may be dead on about South Elgin. But when you play in a closed conference, it is really difficult to tell.

If this is the same group of players I remember from a few years back when I was coaching youth football, they were pretty good. But again, it is hard to tell when South Elgin's first four games are against what I would call, non-traditional football powers.

Also, to waltz in here and make some bold statements that the MSL East and West are bad, I would say you are outkicking your coverage here. And that the WSC and NSC, minus a couple of teams, are also bad, I believe you now have shanked a kick out of bounds.

South Elgin is a good story and they will be fun to watch how they do. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.

South Elgin QB has the same genes as one of the all time passing leaders in IHSA history. Think he's a soph?

But the funny thing is they are more of a running team when I saw them play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT