ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 polls who should be in and who’s out?

MC63 - serious question… do you feel that the newspapers or sports shows or this forum celebrating success by other schools somehow diminishes the extraordinary success that our Alma Mater has had throughout the years? By mentioning JCA as the all time leader in State Titles, does that somehow make MC’s 13 titles less meaningful? By mentioning ESL as the all time wins leader, does that have any impact on MC’s 730+ wins?

I just don’t understand what difference it makes or why this subject bothers you so much.

A great coach of mine once said that great people want to succeed, mediocre people want others to fail. I often think about that when this topic comes up.

MC63 - serious question… do you feel that the newspapers or sports shows or this forum celebrating success by other schools somehow diminishes the extraordinary success that our Alma Mater has had throughout the years? By mentioning JCA as the all time leader in State Titles, does that somehow make MC’s 13 titles less meaningful? By mentioning ESL as the all time wins leader, does that have any impact on MC’s 730+ wins?

I just don’t understand what difference it makes or why this subject bothers you so much.

A great coach of mine once said that great people want to succeed, mediocre people want others to fail. I often think about that when this topic comes up.
I feel no ill will towards any of these schools, nor do I wish them to fail. What I feel is a strong sense of disrespect for anyone who would boast over "achieving" a state championship under such circumstances. Doing so year after year makes the situation even more distasteful.

Regarding ESL, they actually do hold the record for the most single game victories in the state. Their constant boasting about it would be easier to take if they had played a more difficult schedule over the years. I'm sure they would have done well, but how well?

caravan8, you asked a good question. Thank you for your insight, and your support of Mt Carmel. Maybe we'll meed some day.

Thank you for your response and reasoning. Hopefully MC gets back on track tonight honoring the ‘88-‘91 run with the throwback uniforms. Go Caravan

Reactions: Bowie50
I feel no ill will towards any of these schools, nor do I wish them to fail. What I feel is a strong sense of disrespect for anyone who would boast over "achieving" a state championship under such circumstances. Doing so year after year makes the situation even more distasteful.

Regarding ESL, they actually do hold the record for the most single game victories in the state. Their constant boasting about it would be easier to take if they had played a more difficult schedule over the years. I'm sure they would have done well, but how well?

caravan8, you asked a good question. Thank you for your insight, and your support of Mt Carmel. Maybe we'll meed some day.
You make the comment about ESL schedule as if MC didn't play the CPL and schools like Leo. High school schedules are what they are so your argument/ comment isn't valid.

Yellow pants?
Yes sir. Brown jersey, white numbers, yellow trim. Yellow pants with the brown stripe on the sides. It’s on their Twitter and Instagram but I have no idea how to link it here. I’m hoping to see at least 1 neck roll out there too.

• Love
Reactions: Bowie50
Yes sir. Brown jersey, white numbers, yellow trim. Yellow pants with the brown stripe on the sides. It’s on their Twitter and Instagram but I have no idea how to link it here. I’m hoping to see at least 1 neck roll out there too.
Love those uniforms. Thinking about McNabb across the line in those unis still gives me nightmares. Good luck to the Caravan tonight!

Last edited:
Reactions: caravan8
You make the comment about ESL schedule as if MC didn't play the CPL and schools like Leo. High school schedules are what they are so your argument/ comment isn't valid.
Historically, Leo was a major power in Chicago prep football. They were our biggest rival and we took our share of lumps.

Until recently, I don't know the exact year, the only time we played a CPL team was for City Championship. Hardly a pushover. (In our 1960 City game against Taft, we faced a team with two future NFL stars; a team that beat Dick Butkus's CVS team the previous week,.

Many older lums, and I certainly qualify here, hated the "gold" pants and trim. Historically, our colors were brown and white - period.

Historically, Leo was a major power in Chicago prep football. They were our biggest rival and we took our share of lumps.

Until recently, I don't know the exact year, the only time we played a CPL team was for City Championship. Hardly a pushover. (In our 1960 City game against Taft, we faced a team with two future NFL stars; a team that beat Dick Butkus's CVS team the previous week,.

Doesn't matter. We are talking well over 700 games and just like you have an opinion towards certain teams and competition, I have one as well.

I am not weighing in on either side of this discussion I like JCA, EStL, and MC. But another data point is that EStL doesnt get to win more games after being eliminated from the playoffs nor get more opportunities for wins despite not making the playoffs.

Reactions: USD24
Historically, Leo was a major power
All my buddies went to Leo. Like McCaravan said, quoting Frost, I took the path less traveled by. (And then, a few days later, he was quoting Shakespeare. Maybe this hardened homicide cop is an old softie, )

Last edited:
Many older lums, and I certainly qualify here, hated the "gold" pants and trim. Historically, our colors were brown and white - period.
I would say historically, MC had their most successful run in the “gold” pants and trim. At least as far as State titles and State playoffs.

Reactions: RockSoup
Future reference... Click "Share" and then "Copy link to Tweet". Then just paste it here and post the reply

Reactions: caravan8
I would say historically, MC had their most successful run in the “gold” pants and trim. At least as far as State titles and State playoffs.
I don't care if we won the Super Bowl in 'em... ugly as hell is ugly as hell.

Last edited:
I was academically, economically and talently challenged. I was a cheerleader, though, one year.
Add geographically. I took a 90-minute three bus trip for me to get to school from 94th and Kedzie. I can't imagine what time I would have gotten home if I played football.

I don't care if we won the Super Bowl in 'em... ugly as hell is ugly as hell.
As a JCA Alum I didn't like the Royal Blue mixed in on the uniforms, so I can understand his thoughts (MC63). BUT as an MC fan (not Alum) I really liked the gold pants and thought they were cool.

Do you honestly have a perception that the ESL fans have “constant boasting” over being the winningest program in IL history? I have heard it mentioned a few times over the last few years, and it is almost always initially prompted by a non ESL poster. Same with JC winning 14 titles. I don’t think it’s mentioned much unless in a discussion of how many titles has each school won.

perhaps this is more an issue of perception and sensitivity on your part?

I just seriously don’t think anyone here has the perception that these statements of fact are constantly or randomly mentioned in an attempt to stick it to MC.

Last edited:
Do you honestly have a perception that the ESL fans have “constant boasting” over being the winningest program in IL history? I have heard it mentioned a few times over the last few years, and it is almost always initially prompted by a non ESL poster. Same with JC winning 14 titles. I don’t think it’s mentioned much unless in a discussion of how many titles has each school one.

perhaps this is more an issue of perception and sensitivity on your part?

I just seriously don’t think anyone here has the perception that these statements of fact are constantly or randomly mentioned in an attempt to stick it to MC.

Happy that someone else said it. I looked back and I can't seem to find any ESL poster bringing up the conversation about the history of wins in the state of Illinois. I have seen at times that a couple of fans can be a little excited about the current season but, that is it. Most post and comments are defense to some slick comment that is made about ESL. MC63 struggles with being second best so he tries his best to discredit the people in front of him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT