ADVERTISEMENT

Week 7 polls who should be in and who’s out?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
I give up you sort it out lol

who gets in this week? Do you launch LWE NC GBW MC abs others?

More importantly who should get in not named York?

I think MC stays in: Rice could be best team in state and Iggy is for real.

My 8A favorite Glenbard West? Maybe York is Iggy-like, so not too much of a drop?

NC--definitely out.

LWE? That's a tough loss to a bad Sandburg team. NC isn't what we thought they were, so for now, out. But, they'll be back.

Reactions: crusaderpride
Based on your previous rankings I'd say Palatine and HF would be out. LWE and NC significant drops. York in, GBW drops. PR out. Wheaton N and Naperville North in. MC slight drop. Kind of a weird situation as they may lose 3 in a row now. With that said, still a top 10 or 15 when all is said and done

MC plays LA in Week 9, so it wouldn't be consecutive losses if they lose. But this has been such a chaotic, unpredictable season that I can see MC beating Loyola and Rice losing to JC and Marist.
My fault. I thought when I looked at their schedule last they had a rough back to back with BR and LA

Reactions: Blue Ruin
IMO. We trained prognosticators are watching the 2021 season w untrained eyes. I think this is a normal season. Seriously. We watched so much Spring football which was only six months ago. Those kids were pissed hungry and loaded w another winter of hormones. This season is more normal in my eyes and for the first time I’m starting to think that the Illinois 2021 spring football season was special. In the Catholic Blue we were watching kids play hard against each other and now dressing for Power 5 teams as Freshman. Again just my take.

Please remove MC completely from the poll. It’ll be that much sweeter when MC defeats undefeated Loyola in week 9 for the CCL Blue title. Still possible.

Reactions: Blue Ruin
I give up you sort it out lol

who gets in this week? Do you launch LWE NC GBW MC abs others?

More importantly who should get in not named York?
Perhaps teams with three losses, such as Naperville Central and Palatine, should be dropped. They could be replaced by smaller schools that have unbeaten teams, such as Richmond-Burton and Morris.

I'm assuming York would be replacing Prairie Ridge.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K. and EdgyTim
Perhaps teams with three losses, such as Naperville Central and Palatine, should be dropped. They could be replaced by smaller schools that have unbeaten teams, such as Richmond-Burton and Morris.

I'm assuming York would be replacing Prairie Ridge.
Edgy sees the teams play and I am sure he knows where schools should be ranked. I have no problem with LWE/NC/MC being dropped from the top 30. That being said if you think a small undefeated team/School should be ranked higher because they are 5-0 you need to only look at what happened to Rochester. Any of the 3 schools listed above would no doubt have a similar result. This is not a slam on the small program it’s a realistic reality.

Edgy sees the teams play and I am sure he knows where schools should be ranked. I have no problem with LWE/NC/MC being dropped from the top 30. That being said if you think a small undefeated team/School should be ranked higher because they are 5-0 you need to only look at what happened to Rochester. Any of the 3 schools listed above would no doubt have a similar result. This is not a slam on the small program it’s a realistic reality.
I guess you have to decide what top 30 means. Is it the best 30 teams period and pitting those teams head to head to rank? Individual class rankings are understandable to evaluate those classes for the playoffs but is mixing all together for top 30 telling us anything? Can Richmond or even CG beat all of those other teams ranked below them? It’s for fun but the 1-8A rankings is where it counts, if want you something.

I guess you have to decide what top 30 means. Is it the best 30 teams period and pitting those teams head to head to rank? Individual class rankings are understandable to evaluate those classes for the playoffs but is mixing all together for top 30 telling us anything? Can Richmond or even CG beat all of those other teams ranked below them? It’s for fun but the 1-8A rankings is where it counts, if want you something.
Agree 100%. It's one of the things that keeps this board going, but these continual hypothetical arguments about whether or not a smaller enrollment school could compete with larger schools gets exhausting. I've been on this board for many years, I've learned to steer clear of these types of arguments.

4A JCA is playing 7/8A BR this week. Can the Hilltoppers hang with the Crusaders? No idea, but it will be decided on the field, so any preliminary discussion about the game at least will have an objective measure on the field of play.

Agree 100%. It's one of the things that keeps this board going, but these continual hypothetical arguments about whether or not a smaller enrollment school could compete with larger schools gets exhausting. I've been on this board for many years, I've learned to steer clear of these types of arguments.

4A JCA is playing 7/8A BR this week. Can the Hilltoppers hang with the Crusaders? No idea, but it will be decided on the field, so any preliminary discussion about the game at least will have an objective measure on the field of play.
Inform Anderson, Moore, Voss, and the rest of the enormous offensive line that they are "4a" players. If you classify JCA and ESTL as anything other than two of the top teams in the state, you haven't seen them play.

BR defense is awful, as noted in a prior discussion. Lack of communication and cohesion, which JCA will easily overcome.
JCA 52
BR 38

Inform Anderson, Moore, Voss, and the rest of the enormous offensive line that they are "4a" players. If you classify JCA and ESTL as anything other than two of the top teams in the state, you haven't seen them play.
I don't think one needs to make a distinction between "4A" and "7A" players when evaluating a game like JCA/BR. The question is, IMO, does JCA have the depth of talent to compete with a team like Rice? We shall see.

I don't think one needs to make a distinction between "4A" and "7A" players when evaluating a game like JCA/BR. The question is, IMO, does JCA have the depth of talent to compete with a team like Rice? We shall see.
It appears they have both have around 60 players on the varsity roster so depth is equal. JCA definitely has more overall talent.

That's a weird way of looking at it. There is no difference between JCA and BR, they're both 8A type teams but placed in lower classes. The difference between LWE and a Rochester is the difference between 4A and 8A.

It appears they have both have around 60 players on the varsity roster so depth is equal. JCA definitely has more overall talent.
I'd say the talent is rather evenly distributed. If we're only looking at top-tier talent, I'd rank:

Anderson: JCA
Lausch: BR
Moore: JCA
Voss: JCA
Boyer: BR
Fleming: JCA
Vaughn: BR
Ianotti (spelling): JCA

When BR was at full strength, I was encouraged to assume that everything would be fine defensively. Now it's obvious that it's a wreck.
Massive openings, players running uncovered, ten players on the field, and a slew of penalties. BR was clearly counting on talent to return and fix the faults that had surfaced against Loyola, but the same concerns surfaced against MC.

JCA was favored by calpreps before last week, but after seeing the BR defense make no adjustments, I'll take them -7 on the road.

Reactions: crusaderpride
How about Lausch's motivation? I'll bet he's heard about JCA and the '87 state championship team over the years from his dad. I'm guessing he's going to be extra motivated to play against his dad's alma mater. And Voss' dad was the QB on that team. Adds an additional element to the game.

How about Lausch's motivation? I'll bet he's heard about JCA and the '87 state championship team over the years from his dad. I'm guessing he's going to be extra motivated to play against his dad's alma mater. And Voss' dad was the QB on that team. Adds an additional element to the game.
For the dads, it's cool, but growing up on the south side, you always wanted to defeat the kids you'd played against your entire life. MC, Marist, Rita. I can't imagine a kid being very concerned about where his father went to high school. Maybe if he's pals with voss or has a rivalry with him? But who am I to say?

I'd say the talent is rather evenly distributed. If we're only looking at top-tier talent, I'd rank:

Anderson: JCA
Lausch: BR
Moore: JCA
Voss: JCA
Boyer: BR
Fleming: JCA
Vaughn: BR
Ianotti (spelling): JCA

When BR was at full strength, I was encouraged to assume that everything would be fine defensively. Now it's obvious that it's a wreck.
Massive openings, players running uncovered, ten players on the field, and a slew of penalties. BR was clearly counting on talent to return and fix the faults that had surfaced against Loyola, but the same concerns surfaced against MC.

JCA was favored by calpreps before last week, but after seeing the BR defense make no adjustments, I'll take them -7 on the road.
Yes. Our hopes rest on a no offers, zero stars, future walk on. ;)

I think Cahokia has a chance to make some noise in 4A however, second best is quite a stretch. Especially from a team that has only won 2 games.
There are reasons they have only won 2 games. None of which matters in a 4A playoff.

There are reasons they have only won 2 games. None of which matters in a 4A playoff.
Not sure I follow on the reason for 2 games.

4A has JC, RB, Rochester, SHG, IC and more. All those teams has won state championships over the last few years are so.

So Cahokia is better than Rochester and Sacred Heart.... explain
Rochester is 5A for now. They beat SHG. Cahokia schedule is much stronger than SHG. Cahokia has the athletes to compete with SHG. I would favor Cahokia in that matchup.

Rochester is 5A for now. They beat SHG. Cahokia schedule is much stronger than SHG. Cahokia has the athletes to compete with SHG. I would favor Cahokia in that matchup.
Schedules are equal however that is really irrelevant come playoff time. Knowing how to win will be the key. Its a reason why you see certain teams in the mix all the time.

Cahokia was final 8 a couple of years ago and always has a team full of athletes. They are typically 5A so dropping down to 4A would be huge for them. Don’t recall them ever playing Rochester before but they have the players to cover the field I assure you.
Schedules are equal however that is really irrelevant come playoff time. Knowing how to win will be the key. Its a reason why you see certain teams in the mix all the time.

Cahokia was final 8 a couple of years ago and always has a team full of athletes. They are typically 5A so dropping down to 4A would be huge for them. Don’t recall them ever playing Rochester before but they have the players to cover the field I assure you.
I am very familiar with Cahokia and who they have. You can't play Rochester man so that becomes irrelevant. See Phillips a few years back. This goes back to my point of knowing how to win in the playoffs. Athleticism means pretty much nothing. I will also add that this years 4A is looking to be pretty stacked with the top smaller 5A and the top larger 3A's. As a 618 person I am routing for Cahokia. I have also been around a long time and it's a reason why some schools win and others don't. If it were that simple, it would have been done already. There is a first time for everything so I can't wait to see the results.

Queen4,
Please share what impact you envision “Moore” and “Fleming” having for the Hilltoppers. As no one named “Fleming” is on Hilltopper roster at any level and I do not recall seeing anyone named “Moore” take the field for them this year, I consider your insight to be invaluable.
Do I sense an effort by a Crusader insider attempting to plant bulletin board material?

Queen4,
Please share what impact you envision “Moore” and “Fleming” having for the Hilltoppers. As no one named “Fleming” is on Hilltopper roster at any level and I do not recall seeing anyone named “Moore” take the field for them this year, I consider your insight to be invaluable.
Do I sense an effort by a Crusader insider attempting to plant bulletin board material?
I am guessing he is referring to DB Hood (Moore) and WR Fieldman(Fleming).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT