ADVERTISEMENT

Week 1: EDGYTIM Underclassmen Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Each wekk I will prepare the Underclassmen Report which is a look at which underclassmen names I saw in person at each game I cover this season. Unfortunately I did not get any roster for Loyola Academy (not my fault I tried) and also unfortunately I was not able to get any video from the Loyola ESTL game due to a camera memory card issue (sorta my fault). Ill make it up to the Loyola fans later this season.

Maine South Hawks

QB Jameson Purcell 6-foot-2, 185 pounds 2027- Was able to get some reps and work after this game was out of hand. I've been impressed with Jameson's overall game and potential for over a year plus. Purcell has an impressive arm and arm talent, already has college ready physical tools and his development wi;; be fun to watch over the next few years. Already holding multiple early D1 offers this sumemr.

RB Niko Kokosioulos 5-foot-8, 178 pounds 2026- Its another Kokosioulos! The first family of Maine South brings another speedy, strong and athletic running back who has a really nice combination of quickness and power. here. I'm guessing Niko will be the 2025 edition of Mike Dellumo for the Hawks and that's a very good thing to be next season.

DL Dean Arvanitis 6-foot-2, 228 pounds 2026- Good size and just looks like a player with some upside. I'll definitely take a look at his video later this season

LB Jake Cantal 5-foot-11, 206 pounds 2026- A name I was already familiar with before this game against LWE. Cantal has some nasty and plays pretty fast and physical. Has safety physical tools and look and I can also see him as a OLB, but also he doesn't seem to have safety size and length for now. A name to watch for sure.

LB Gavin Smith 6-foot-1, 206 pounds 2026- Brings a bit more size and length to the table and was pretty effective here in both run support and pass coverage skills. I'll definitely need to watch video for a better eval but on the hoof he passes the test as say an OLB or even ILB if he can get a bit stronger/add good weight.

DB Dan Egan 5-foot-9 178 pounds 2026- Moves pretty well, tracks the football pretty well and seems to also have good overall ball skills and can turn and flip his hips pretty naturally. Need to see more tape but my first impression of Dan was good.

Lincoln Way East Griffins

QB Jonas Williams 6-foot-3, 205 pounds 2026
Simply one of the best overall quarterbacks I've seen in my 30 plus years of covering and evaluating high school players. Williams has ideal size (6-foot-3, 205 pounds) and physical tools, plays cool and calm and just never seems to get rattled. Williams arm talent is extremely high and when refs come off the field and tell you how fast his passes are coming out of Williams hand...that's saying something. Williams is also a very strong runner in the open field, makes great decisions and his overall ability again is sky high. Committed to Oregon.

RB Brody Gish 5-foot-9, 180 pounds 2026- Came off the bench when starting RB Zion Gist was injured early in this game and made the most out of his opportunity. Gish runs hard, showed good vision and was able to wait for his blocks then attacked the open hole with a nice mix of speed and power. Very interested to see more video this season for Gish and anytime you can make an impression at East as a underclassmen...that says something.

DT Jacob Alexander 6-foot-4, 240 pounds 2026- Alexander has multiple D1 offers these days and it's pretty easy to see why. Alexander has added more good weight and size, already possessed very good speed, bend and quickness and his overall strength, hand fighting and overall motor is just very impressive. Alexander is really interesting because he has the tools to play as a very effective rush end but also looks like he can add considerable more good weight and size and stay inside and be a monster. Alexander's overall stock will continue to climb once his tape gets out in a few weeks.

DL Gage LaPere 6-foot-2, 260 pounds 2026 Solid linemen here with good overall size and ability. I'll definitely need to see more but I can see LaPere benefit playing on this very strong LWE Dline.

LB Colton Zvonar 5-foot-11, 185 pounds 2027- The youngest son of HC Rob Zvonar had a big game starting on varsity for the first time including adding a pick 6 on a nice read that Zvonar made, jumped the route inside then took the football to the house for the TD. Zvonar is again a prototypical LWE linebacker....usually anywhere from 5-foot-9 to 5-foot-11, 180 to 190 pounds and just plays fundamentally sound defense and also just tackles everything.

DB Charlie Palmer 5-foot-11, 175 pounds 2027 Again very few sophomore can crack a starting lineup at East so you better be a very strong player to get that done. Palmer has good size and speed. still has a bit of fundamentals to improve upon but the overall ability and his development over the next few years will be fun to watch.

East St. Louis Flyers

WR LaRon Baker 5-foot-11, 165 pounds 2027
- One of several speedy, twitchy athletic type of receiver for the Flyers on a team loaded with the same type of impressive athlete on the roster. No question I'll be looking to see a bit move on video at mid season and again he has a chance for big things down the line.

WR/DB Ronnie GoMiller 5-foot-9, 165 pounds 2027- Just a bit shorter compared to the rest of the underclassmen WR rotational players, but GoMiller's ability to start and cut on a dime along with his ability to go over the middle and into harms way to get the football was evident.

WR Armaad Sharp 6-foort-3, 200 pounds 2026- Big strong kid and jsut a very good looking athlete on the hoof. Physically just looks to have the ability to play a few different positions if needed. showed impressive speed and power and will seldom be brought down on initial contact.

QB Reece Shanklin 6-foot-, 175 pounds 2027 Part of a strong QB battle this summer but Shanklin is coming off the bench right now for the Flyers. I was able to see Shanklin throw this summer for Next Level and QB Coach Greg Holcomb and his arm strength, ability to make good and accurate throws along with physically being able to add much more good weight and strength over the next few years....Shanklin will no question be the next in line for East Side and a higher level name.

LB Leon Howard Jr. 6-foot-2, 225 pounds 2026 Big strong and very physical linebacker for the Flyers who is a multiple year starter as well. Howard Jr. is physical as hell at the point of attack, has a great nose for the football and just closes tackles with the best of them. Howard Jr. looks a bit strong this season but still runs and pursues to the football at a very high level/. Howard Jr. will draw a ton of looks at his early video this season.

OL Javon Donley 6-foot-5, 320 pounds 2028- Part of an incredible underclassmen group of massive offensive linemen for the Flyers. Donley did not play in this win over Loyola but the Flyers are looking to ease in and develop this incredible young giagantic group of linemen and I';m guessing you will start seeing these kids next season.

OL Antonio Grays 6-foot-7, 315 pounds 2028- Again this is a Class of 2028 kid measuring in at 6-foot-7, 325 pounds who is athletic, can move a bit and has the frame and look of a Power 4 linemen prospect already. Did not see much of any reps in this win.....but again this is another BIG part of the Flyers future.

OL Keyon Davis 6-foot-5, 310 pounds 2027- See above

OL Jerry Culberson 6-foot-7, 315 pounds 2027- See above

DL Jayden Wheeler 6-foot-2, 330 pounds 2028- Wheeler did indeed play in this win over Loyola and played well in my opinion. Wheeler has very good strength and power, was able to get past and around a big Loyola O line and was just very effective all game long. I definitely need to see a bit more from Wheeler on video but I definitely liked what I saw here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.