ADVERTISEMENT

Week 0 Scrimmage

I don't think that's it. Injuries could happen on a Tuesday practice. I don't think the week 0 scrimmage increases the risk of injury over any other time.
I am indifferent on this. I nor any of you know for sure their will be more injuries. You would need to know how many injuries happened before this new scrimmage. Then you would need to do a study after the new scrimmages. My mind is saying yes the number will rise but I have no basis other than it’s against other schools so the kids may go harder than a normal scrimmage.

I have no basis other than it’s against other schools so the kids may go harder than a normal scrimmage.
See that's where my curiosity comes in. I wonder just how intense these scrimmages will be.

It’s teenagers so I would expect them to want to impress.
In theory, but I think coaches will try to curb that as much as they can, depending on how they choose to play the scrimmage.

Players get hurt in their own scrimmages now. Players get hurt when you start full contact. Players will get hurt week one.

I don't think that's it. Injuries could happen on a Tuesday practice. I don't think the week 0 scrimmage increases the risk of injury over any other time.

It's something brand new. If a player is injured Week 0 in something brand new that not all schools are doing, the coach has to deal with the fallout and second-guessing. Easier to just avoid the situation and see how Week 0 goes in the first year for other schools.

I don't think it will be much different from going against a different team over the summer in terms of injury. It will be competitive but controlled. If you have a competitive game lined up for week one, a scrimmage will help going into that game. If your week one game isn't competitive, there is no need for a scrimmage. Scrimmages will help clean things up for the real game.

See that's where my curiosity comes in. I wonder just how intense these scrimmages will be.
I think it will be intense. However, I expect returning starting to play very sparingly at most programs.

It could be that consistently high-achieving programs might take a measured approach to this new opportunity. Maybe just a small increment of tweaking or addition for this first season to what they normally try to accomplish during that weekend. Then re-evaluate for next year.

The rational for the week 0 scrimmage came from smaller schools with low numbers and players going both ways as a way to actually have competitive 11 on 11 before week 1.

I would think we would see most 4a and down schools doing scrimmages.

If I were a coach…my main concern would be running a new scheme and that getting to our week 1 opponent.

Theoretically, this means that less crews will be used for these scrimmages. With any luck there are big numbers of newer officials that could be sent to work with more experienced crews to get some reps/on the field training.

I do wonder how many teams will decide to either, a. do what they've been doing or b. just use this as a reason to not do anything at all and give themselves another day of practice.

All.... Well it's on their Hudl schedule. An 80 mile road trip. Game time set for 5:45. Ratsy
Just to clarify as I was confused. The Maine South/Kankakee event on Aug. 23 is a scrimmage, not a real "game." The term "game time" was used which made me look up to see if an actual game between the two powerhouses, albeit of much different school sizes, was an actual game.
Maine South's four non-con games are Lincoln-Way East, Warren, Hersey & Barrington. So I would guess that if the season inexplicably turns way south for the Hawks, that they are an early leader in the clubhouse among schools with a 4-5 final record who have the most "playoff points" in the state.

The rational for the week 0 scrimmage came from smaller schools with low numbers and players going both ways as a way to actually have competitive 11 on 11 before week 1.
I would think we would see most 4a and down schools doing scrimmages.
If I were a coach…my main concern would be running a new scheme and that getting to our week 1 opponent.
I have a feeling that former Week 0 "color vs. color" internal scrimmages in some cases have been attended by informal representatives from Week 1 opponents?

All.... My take on this is a bit different. (go figure lol) SHG opens up week one against CBC out of Missouri at their stadium. The Cadets made the state final three straight years in what I believe is Missouri's largest enrollment class. Winning it all in 2021 and 2022 and runner up in 2023. Identical 13 and 1 records in 21 and 22 with their only loss both years to East St. Louis.

The Cycs will be a major underdog in that game. More so even when they opened up against Normal Community last season. SHG will scrimmage against East Louis when the Flyers come to town August 23rd. There are some general rules from the Ihsa but not specific language on how "hard" the teams can go at it in this scrimmage. With what SHG will see the following week I would bal#s to the wall as they say trying to get as ready as possible.

I would think many Coaches might focus on just that. Depending upon who your week one opponent is might dictate the effort LEVEL the team will put in on the scrimmage. If a school has a laugher week one make sure all players get in and run it like a different type of practice. If you've got "the teeth of the hydra upon you" ☺️ come August 30th treat it like a real game if able. Just my thought.... Ratsy

All.... My take on this is a bit different. (go figure lol) SHG opens up week one against CBC out of Missouri at their stadium. The Cadets made the state final three straight years in what I believe is Missouri's largest enrollment class. Winning it all in 2021 and 2022 and runner up in 2023. Identical 13 and 1 records in 21 and 22 with their only loss both years to East St. Louis.

The Cycs will be a major underdog in that game. More so even when they opened up against Normal Community last season. SHG will scrimmage against East Louis when the Flyers come to town August 23rd. There are some general rules from the Ihsa but not specific language on how "hard" the teams can go at it in this scrimmage. With what SHG will see the following week I would bal#s to the wall as they say trying to get as ready as possible.

I would think many Coaches might focus on just that. Depending upon who your week one opponent is might dictate the effort LEVEL the team will put in on the scrimmage. If a school has a laugher week one make sure all players get in and run it like a different type of practice. If you've got "the teeth of the hydra upon you" ☺️ come August 30th treat it like a real game if able. Just my thought.... Ratsy
I don't think the effort put forth will depend on the week 1 opponent. I don't anticipate any team going all out and I think most coaches will use these scrimmages mainly as a way to determine starters for positions where it may be close between two or more players or to determine if an frosh/soph is worth bringing up.

Other than personnel I think the scrimmages will be used to work out any kinks on given formations or packages.

So are scrimmages allowed at any point in the summer or can they only be held the week/end before week 1?

It's the only one where you can go "full contact". Summer scrimmages are shells only and you can not take kids to the ground.

If JC is going to schedule a scrimmage, they should probably schedule a blue blood like that to get ready for their doozy of a schedule. As long as they come out of it healthy, they will need the scrimmage against a legit opponent to help them get battle tested for the rough road.

Iowa City
@ Oswego
Fenwick
Marist
@ Naz
@ ND
@MC
DLS
@PC

That's 2-4 games they will likely be favored in. Iowa City and DLS for sure. Fenwick and ND could be good games, but entering the preseason JC may be favored. Then the other 5 games they will be anywhere from a substantial underdog (MC, Naz) to a pick em at best (PC, Marist, Oswego).

The Oswego game should tell a lot. A fairly convincing victory there and you feel good about hitting 5 plus wins and making a run. Lose to Oswego and it will be scratching and clawing to get to 5 wins, forcing them to need a win against either Marist or PC, both of which should be dog fights.

Really don't like a marquee rivalry game in week 9, especially when they will likely be in the same class if they both qualify and could very well end up playing again in weeks 10, 11, or 12.
They're scrimmaging Plainfield North.

Does anyone know if a formal listing of Week 0 scrimmage match-ups, with times and sites, might be assembled anywhere? Also, are lower-levels allowed to be included with this new idea?

Reactions: RoaminCatholic
Some I have found on 8to18

Argo vs RB
TFN vs Thornwood
TFS vs Shepard
Stagg vs Richards
Lemont vs Eisenhower
Hillcrest vs Crete
Reavis vs Peotone
Kankakee vs Maine South
Glenbard South vs Wheaton North
Lyons vs Stevenson
W. Aurora vs Oswego East
Lake Park vs Glenbard East
Manteno vs Momence

Anybody know about scrimmage plans for the 3 L-Way schools including who, when and where?

Anybody know about scrimmage plans for the 3 L-Way schools including who, when and where?
East is not scrimmaging anyone. They had their live contact scrimmage with refs earlier this morning which is their “week 0 scrimmage”

Hopefully they get a week 2 game. Anyone hear why Florida team backed out?
As of right now from what I’ve been hearing they are trying to find a team in the Midwest to play. I think the ESL classic is out and now they’re just trying to find a game to travel to or come to them. There was rumors the team backed out because of “financial issues” but sent the email the day right after Jonas Williams committed to Oregon…..

As of right now from what I’ve been hearing they are trying to find a team in the Midwest to play. I think the ESL classic is out and now they’re just trying to find a game to travel to or come to them. There was rumors the team backed out because of “financial issues” but sent the email the day right after Jonas Williams committed to Oregon…..
Hopefully they find a game. Tough because it has to be a quality team. The team has to believe they have a chance to win.

Hopefully they find a game. Tough because it has to be a quality team. The team has to believe they have a chance to win.
Exactly. There’s probably a lot of lower class teams that they could fill a game with but none of them in their right mind would play East. Hopefully something opens up for them

Reactions: corey90
Hopefully they get a week 2 game. Anyone hear why Florida team backed out?
It would not be ideal from either side, but Winnebago might need a week 2 game now that Rockford Christian is opting out of the season.

It would not be ideal from either side, but Winnebago might need a week 2 game now that Rockford Christian is opting out of the season.
Only thing with that is would Winnebago be willing to play East? Not ideal at all like you said. Right now East is fighting an uphill battle of not only trying to find a game this late but a team that actually wants to play them. Because the chances of a quality team having an open game right now are very slim

Zero Scrimage Schedule 8/23/24

Bishop McNamara @ Reed-Custer 7PM
Byron @ Stillman Valley 7PM
Chicago Sullivan @ Walter Christian 4PM
Colfax-Ridgeview @ Prairie Central 6PM
Davenport (IA) West @ Rock Island 5:30 PM
Eisenhower @ Lemont 7PM
East St Louis @ Sacred Heart Griffin 6PM
Evanston @ Nazareth 6:30 PM
Glenbard East @ Lake Park 7PM
Hillcrest @ Crete Monee 6PM
Manteno @ Momence 7PM