ADVERTISEMENT

WB6/TRAC Week 5 review and Week 6 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
The conversations are getting clearer and yet more muddled! Which means it's a fun season. So here we go.

WB6
Moline had the forfeit win over Alleman.
Sterling 40, Geneseo 0 - Sterling seems to be what we thought they were. Geneseo, I dunno. The close loss to Grayslake Central is looking less impressive. I still think the Maple Leafs are a playoff team, but the Warriors deserve to be tied for first right now.
Quincy 42, Galesburg 14 - Quincy seems to need the first half of games to get settled, and give some credit to the Streaks for hanging around, but the Blue Devils have too many athletes and will hand around with lots of teams.
Rock Island 68, UTHS 35 - Not a good day to be a defensive coordinator, and the D-lines left much to be desired. But the Rocks are resilient and give them credit for eventually running away with it.
I was 3-0 last week (not counting the Moline pick over Alleman, although I suspect the Maroons would have won it on the field).
This week:
Moline over United Township: I think Moline's rushing attack will have a day.
Sterling over Quincy: This game is at Quincy and I'm very intrigued to see how the physicality of Sterling will match up against the athletes and throwing attack of Quincy. I doubt Sterling gets a third straight shutout. If Quincy wins, then this conference race gets very crazy. I give Sterling a very, very slight edge.
Rock Island over Galesburg: These teams remind me of each other very much, except that Rock Island seems a little better. This amounts to a must-win for the 3-2 Rocks, who have a schedule of Sterling, Geneseo, and Quincy to end the season.
Geneseo over Alleman: The Pioneers have said they intend to play this game and I hope they do. I don't see how they win.

TRAC
Orion 27, EP 7: In retrospect this feels like a separation game of sorts and I think Orion showed themselves to be better than the Panthers, even if Erie-Prophetstown's schedule gets much easier from here on out. Good showing from Orion.
Rockridge 28, Monmouth-Roseville 12: This feels like a better showing from Mon-Rose even in a loss, but it seems that the Rockets are the class of the west.
Sherrard 26, Morrison 22: Upset special, and the Tigers finally got to ring the bell. Morrison will be very disappointed.
St. Bede took the forfeit win over Riverdale.
Princeton 56, Kewanee 7: Princeton was up 56-0 at halftime. That is terrifying. Can anyone look ahead to a Princeton-IC Catholic 3A semi?
Newman 21, Bureau Valley 0: Newman is showing us who they are. Their offense from years past might not be there, but the defense sure is.
Hall 66, Mendota 45: The scoreboard operator must be traumatized. Where is Hall finding these upsets? It seems that they keep pulling rabbits out of their hats. An interesting team to be cheering for, no doubt.
I was 4-2 last week (missed on Hall and Sherrard).
This week:
Hall over Kewanee: The Red Devils have made believers out of me. Perhaps I'll look foolish for it this week, but they're coming off a big win and the Boilermakers are coming off a humiliation. Both teams need this win if they want any realistic shot at the playoffs.
Princeton over Newman: I think Newman will be able to slow down the Tigers. But not stop them, not by a long shot.
St. Bede over Bureau Valley: The Bruins are rested and ready, and the Storm aren't doing well. St. Bede should clean up well heading into a massive matchup against Princeton next week.
Sherrard over Mendota: This pick takes guts. But Mendota has to make the long trek to Sherrard, they're coming off of two straight bad losses, and Sherrard is feeling all of the momentum.
Erie-Prophetstown over Harvard: This is the nonconference special, and well done to EP to find a game. Harvard is 0-5 and has only been competitive once, and has to travel to Prophetstown.
Orion over Monmouth-Roseville: This game will be competitive and could certainly go either way. But I will take the Chargers, who have momentum and home field.
Rockridge over Morrison: The Mustangs are reeling and the Rockets are rolling. The Rockets have gotten through the tough part of their schedule and will now look to be 7-1 going into their end-of-season joust with Orion.

WB6

Moline over United Township: After Rock Island got to run all over UT, I’m somewhat terrified of what a fresh Moline team will do to them. Moline backups get lots of experience in this one.

Sterling over Quincy: Very much looking forward to seeing this one. The thing really going against Quincy is they play slow, close games til the second half. Sterling has the defense and fire power on offense to blow this one open early if Quincy does not come out ready to roll.

Rock Island over Galesburg: Advantage for the Rocks is their athletes when they get into space. Galesburg has size, but not the speed to match the Rocks. Rock Island pulls away in the 3rd once those big bodies start getting tired.

Geneseo over Alleman: Glad to see Alleman is able to get back on the field. Getting to play a Geneseo team with some weapons and angry after Sterling dismantled them will not be fun for the Pioneers.

TRAC

Hall over Kewanee: Hall looks like it’s hitting its stride (at least on offense). Kewanee is coming off of an absolute beating in its rivalry game against Princeton. I think Hall keeps on rolling and sneaks past Kewanee.

Princeton over Newman: The positive is Newman might hold Princeton to it’s lowest point total of the season…maybe. The bad news is I’m not sure Newman scores at all.

St Bede over Bureau Valley: St Bede can sling the ball and play defense. Plus they are rested from the bye week. Cue the running clock.

Mendota over Sherrard: Honestly, this is a coin flip game. I think Mendota has just enough in it to right the ship. I could also see a confident and pumped Sherrard team get win #2 in a close match.

Erie-Prophetstown over Harvard: EP gets a non-conference game against a floundering Harvard team. A good chance for EP to get some things fixed on offense and get back into the win column.

Monmouth-Roseville over Orion: Another coin flip game this week. Monmouth needs this one badly to give itself some breathing room for a playoff chance. Look for them to play like their season depends on it, because it just might.

Rockridge over Morrison: Rockridge is on a roll and showing to be one of the top teams of the conference. Morrison will be a tough out, but Rockridge should pull away after halftime and win comfortably.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT