ADVERTISEMENT

WB6/TRAC Week 1 preview

jotapepe

Jul 20, 2021
And we are on for the kickoff of 2022! Here are my thoughts on what's likely to come this week in western Illinois. (Same credits as usual.) I will also post my picks for the outcome of the games, though these aren't my "hopes" for the outcomes.

Western Big Six:
UTHS at LaSalle-Peru: This one was a common enough nonconference matchup back in the 2000's and 2010's, so it's nice to seem them back. This represents a step up in the Panthers' nonconference matchups after their games with East Peoria and various CPS teams.
Galesburg at Dunlap: A rematch from what was a classic game last year; Dunlap took a 7-0 lead early and held it until the Streaks scored a touchdown with a half a minute to go. Galesburg got stuffed on their two-point attempt and hopes to turn it around this year.
Comer at Geneseo: This one also happened last year, with Geneseo winning extremely easily. I don't know that much has changed this year.
St. Laurence at Moline: Moline beat St. Laurence in Burbank last year, but graduation and (in the Vikings' case) staff changes will put a new complexion on things.
Quincy at Quincy Notre Dame: QND looked great beating the Blue Devils in Week 1 last year, but they faded down the stretch and Quincy's young kids improved over the course of the year. This one could be remarkably fun.
Alleman at Chicago Academy: Alleman wasn't competitive in any game last year. This one may change that, at least for Week 1.
Rock Island at Pekin: This is a rematch of a game where the Dragons ran all over the Rocks last year. Both teams have lost a ton to graduation.
Lakes at Sterling: Sterling went up to Lake Villa last year and won pretty convincingly, and will hope to do so again.
Picks: UT over LP, Dunlap over Galesburg, Geneseo over Comer, Moline over St. Laurence, Quincy over QND, Alleman over Chicago Academy, Pekin over Rock Island, Sterling over Lakes.

TRAC:
Kewanee at Monmouth-Roseville: A trendy pick for an early-season "conference championship" game between a pleasant-surprise Boilermaker team from last year and a Titans group looking to take the next jump.
Bureau Valley at Villa Grove: This game was a quick add-on after Riverdale cancelled, adding the additional bit of interest in that Villa Grove is no longer in their historic coop.
Mendota at Erie-Prophetstown: Two playoff teams from last year are hoping to extend their success.
St. Bede at Sherrard: Sherrard had a really rough go last year, while St. Bede made it to the second round. I am hearing the Tigers will improve themselves; time to prove it.
Princeton at Rockridge: Another possible conference championship game. That simple.
Hall at Orion: Intriguing game between two groups that are looking to improve their outlooks from last year; both have interesting crops of newcomers.
Newman at Morrison: The only game this week that counts as a rivalry in any reasonable fashion, and is it ever one. Short trip for the Comets.
Picks: Monmouth-Roseville over Kewanee, Bureau Valley over Villa Grove, Mendota over E-P, St. Bede over Sherrard, Princeton over Rockridge, Orion over Hall, Newman over Morrison.

Looking forward to the season, y'all.

I don’t know much about the TRAC, so I won’t guess on those other than I’ll now be rooting for Newman and Coach LeMay after the move from Sterling.

UT vs LP - UT coach seems to bring some energy to the program and is high on his team. That alone won’t get them in the playoffs, but I think they start out with a win this week.

Galesburg vs Dunlap - Streaks lose a few athletes, but I’ll pick them to come out on top week 1.

Geneseo vs Comer - Geneseo.

Moline vs St. L - Will be a good test to see if Moline reloaded, or with Ponder and Bailey gone they’ll be more rebuild. Know nothing of what St. L has other than they’ll need this one if they have any playoff hopes. Moline at home is the pick.

Quincy vs QND - I’ll go Quincy with their returning QB to get the win.

RIA vs Chicago Academy - no clue, I’ll pick Alleman to break their losing streak.

RI vs Pekin - As long as RI plays a little more defense than they usual do, I’ll say they come out on top.

Sterling vs Lakes - Sterling. If they can polish up the o-line and build some d-line depth, it’ll be a good year.

Starting out picking all conference teams with very little confidence in most of them. Once some film is out, it’ll be a little easier to see what everyone’s working with.

Reactions: Golden Warrior
^I sure hope this comes out this way. The game I feel strongest about is Geneseo, but all 8 teams have realistic chances.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT