ADVERTISEMENT

Tribune Poll Out of Whack

Looks like they just kept 5 thru 17 in the same spots as last week. Well, that was easy.

I am not much of a poll fan. There seems to be no scientific way to make it totally objective. I am not convinced Wisconsin should be sitting at number 5 in the NCAA polls with a perfect 11-0 record while two 10-1 teams are above them. But, what do I know?

I get tired of listening to this team beat that team which beat this other team over here.

I read a joke the other day that said, this year, the Kansas City Chiefs beat the New England Patriots and the Philadelphia Eagles, but lost to the New York Giants. The San Francisco 49ers beat the Giants. Therefore, the San Francisco 49ers are the best team in football.

Last edited:
The only poll that matters is did you win a championship

If you did not your ranking doesn’t matter

Respect? So you say hey, we didn’t win but dog gone it someone objectively didn’t rank us high enough? When did where a team is ranked become the gage for how they are respected?

Respect? So you say hey, we didn’t win but dog gone it someone objectively didn’t rank us high enough? When did where a team is ranked become the gage for how they are respected?

Its' just one element, and I think you know that.

Who's to say the rankings were objective?

Do you have a bet with your brother in law from Providence, who will give you grief at Thanksgiving dinner? If anything, MC gets a bit of undeserved respect at times. Provi lost to Loyola Rita and MC by 1 (plus a semi final loss). MC lost to de la Salle. Gotta come to play every week. Especially if you're worried about polls.

Just being the devil's advocate MC was 9-4 and SR 9-3. SR's losses were to State Finalists LA LZ and semi-finalist PC. SR beat MC but lost to PC. MC lost to unranked 6-5 DLS. Should SR be ranked in ahead of MC???

Well yes.

But LZ beat SR badly and MC held their own. MC had a easier schedule (Taft. Lane, DePaul) than SR (Rich Central Marmion, St. Pat's).

I agree with the above poster if not the champ the ratings are meaning less.

Last edited:
Any of you guys who denies that rankings are important to them and their program is spreading fake news.

Never bought into rankings and never will. Unless all teams play each other rankings are opinions. All that matters is the outcome on the field.

Reactions: AMBofQUAN
They scored more points
jenna-marbles-damn-girl.gif

well played.

When all is said and done, Beth Long still may make them #1 this year.

Just being the devil's advocate MC was 9-4 and SR 9-3. SR's losses were to State Finalists LA LZ and semi-finalist PC. SR beat MC but lost to PC. MC lost to unranked 6-5 DLS. Should SR be ranked in ahead of MC???

Well yes.

But LZ beat SR badly and MC held their own. MC had a easier schedule (Taft. Lane, DePaul) than SR (Rich Central Marmion, St. Pat's).

I agree with the above poster if not the champ the ratings are meaning less.

Weather conditions played a part in the LZ/MC game, if it was a nicer who knows what the score would have been, LZ held MC in check for 3 qtrs.
LZ is the real deal and was the better team that day, no excuses, please dont take anything away from them.
And also MC did have the easier schedule this year, so that could have played a part in the rankings.

It's a matter of respect.
I believe you are over thinking this MC63. Every conversation I am involved in that talks about the best teams in the state finds MC in that conversation somewhere every year. It is also talked about here too and MC enters those conversations as well. When people talk about the best programs ever, MC pretty much heads that conversation. So, let's be clear. MC gets plenty of respect. Pullenty.

Maybe you can help me with this. I don't remember anyone here from MC having high expectations for MC this year when we were all talking pre-season. I don't remember anyone talking about MC playing in the semi-final this year or predicting it. Am I correct about that? But they did play in the semis. That alone gains them the respect they deserve.

To say they should be above this team or that team is a matter of opinion, just as the rankings are a matter of opinion. I said before, there is no scientific way to objectively do rankings. There is some subjectivity in those rankings because it's a person or persons opinion. Do you agree?

Reactions: NNFAN
Weather conditions played a part in the LZ/MC game, if it was a nicer who knows what the score would have been, LZ held MC in check for 3 qtrs.
LZ is the real deal and was the better team that day, no excuses, please dont take anything away from them.
And also MC did have the easier schedule this year, so that could have played a part in the rankings.

First, no one doubts that LZ is a fine team.

Second, and I thought you could guess this, it rained on both sides of the field.

Any of you guys who denies that rankings are important to them and their program is spreading fake news.

When we went 10-2 in 1997 the season was not acknowledged and was considered a failure.

Because that's LWEdads attitude, provided it's a public school and NOTHING for the Catholics.

Interesting... i have advocated for a level playing field. Only a paritisian person would see a level playing field anti Catholic.

I'm sure since you don't know me as others on this board do, that I have 12 years of Catholic education.

No I'm not anti Catholic. I'm anti Hypocrisy.

Reactions: Wolffan64 and NNFAN

Second, and I thought you could guess this, it rained on both sides of the field.

Rain wasn’t as much of a factor as the wind was. One team throws the ball a lot, the other not so much. I would say that would have been more of a factor than the snow.

Did I say it favored one team over another smart ass? MC couldn't run(140yds) Stutzman had 153 on his own, or throw the ball(26yds), get over it, you lost to a better team, grow up.

Reactions: NNFAN
LWEdad,

You do nothing on here but whine about the Catholics and how this is a private school board blah blah blah. Get over it and yourself, just because you are the product of a Catholic education doesn't mean you endorse it or even want to tolerate it. My Children and I have been educated in both private Catholic school settings and public school settings. There are benefits and advantages at both, which means by nature they are on a level playing field. Stop being a hypocrite and trying to define situations as they develop and the outcomes vary from your desires.

Interesting... i have advocated for a level playing field. Only a paritisian person would see a level playing field anti Catholic.

I'm sure since you don't know me as others on this board do, that I have 12 years of Catholic education.

No I'm not anti Catholic. I'm anti Hypocrisy.

Reactions: Gene K.
Did I say it favored one team over another smart ass? MC couldn't run(140yds) Stutzman had 153 on his own, or throw the ball(26yds), get over it, you lost to a better team, grow up.

I don't deny that LZ was the better team .. I never did. My point was our ranking vis-a-vis Providence. Was it raining so hard that you couldn't read?

I don't deny that LZ was the better team .. I never did. My point was our ranking vis-a-vis Providence. Was it raining so hard that you couldn't read?

No, your tears are falling so hard they got in the way.

i.e. rankings: Providence played stronger teams then MC did, 3 of your first 4 games were against minor league teams and then MC choked vs DLS, get over it!

No, your tears are falling so hard they got in the way.

i.e. rankings: Providence played stronger teams then MC did, 3 of your first 4 games were against minor league teams and then MC choked vs DLS, get over it!

You guys got crushed by Nazareth in the semis. We took LZ all the way to the final minute. Oh, and by the way, we beat you on the field. Period. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT