ADVERTISEMENT

Top Teams for '17?

DeanOfSelection

Gold Member
Sep 25, 2002
I know StL and Rice are supposed to be up there near 1. Not sure what the PLN's etc of the world have coming back.

JCA will be young but should be good. Lost Fellows to Vandy and Simonich to transfer, but return pretty much everyone else. The 2018 class is very good and the 2019 class is even better. Probably 5 div 1 kids in 2019 class. In addition to the soph class, they have a Jr pitcher commited to ND and frosh infielder committed to Louisville

JCA will be young but should be good. Lost Fellows to Vandy and Simonich to transfer, but return pretty much everyone else. The 2018 class is very good and the 2019 class is even better. Probably 5 div 1 kids in 2019 class. In addition to the soph class, they have a Jr pitcher commited to ND and frosh infielder committed to Louisville
The infielder committed to Louisville is a current frosh?

Correct. He has yet to play an inning of high school baseball. How the times have changed!
That is amazing. I didn't think baseball offered so early. I've heard about basketball doing it. I guess it makes sense with the many exposure events and proliferation of travel baseball. Plus, kids start playing organized baseball at 5 yrs. old.

Rice will/should be #1. Line up is loaded. Pitching won't be as strong as last year when they had 4 studs, but they will still be strong on the bump. Rice also got freshman Marquis Jackson, one of the top players from the JRW Little League team...Laurence will be really good with Burnette, Farrell and McCormick. My beloved Caravan will have a strong team with Thomas, Seymour, and Pettigrew, along with Hupe and Munoz on the hill, plus they got another Houston as a freshman, another JRW player from the LL World Series team. Rita took some loses but don't count them out....sadly only one of these teams will make it out of sectionals though.

Plainfield South as the 11th best team in the country because they won summer state? They're not better than those teams McCaravan threw out there. Heck, they may not be the best team in their own district.

South is the team to beat in the Southwest Prairie. Return pretty much everyone from their supersectional team from last year.

Reactions: USD24
JCA always is loaded with talent.
They just haven't lived up to expectations the past few seasons.

Montini has 7 starters coming back and several good pitchers. Lost in Sectional final to Fenwick but will definitely be better this year.

What's going on with Plainfield South?
I just think it is a real tough conference. I know its a cliché, but it seems like any night anyone can win in that conference. All four Plainfield schools are good, Oswego East has one loss and Minooka is a decent team. Throw in a Joliet Central team that is playing really well (beat Plainfield C, Minooka and Oswego East), and there are no days off.

Last edited:
They had a pretty tough non-conference schedule and as mentioned previously, the conference is brutal. (most teams in the conference probably have several D1 pitchers). That being said, they have not been playing real well as of late.

JCA is 3-6-1?? Is that correct?
The hitting woes continue I guess.

Hilltoppers sure turned it around. Finished regular season with a 7-0 victory over Lincoln Way Central. After starting the year 4-7-1, JC finishes year on 18-4 streak to end year with a 22-11-1 record. Won the ESCC with 16-2 record. As a program went 51-3 in conference and were conference champions at all three levels. Both the frosh and sophs were 28-2 with numerous players playing up. Will most likely face Lemont in Regional finals.

Reactions: Gene K.
Just read PBR's recap of the Lemont/JCA game. I was impressed with Lemont's Ryan Sublette on the mound, but I didn't realize he was as good as the article stated. Sat at 92-94 mph with his fastball all day. A few dipped to 90 in the sixth. A few hit 95 in the early innings. His last fastball was 94 on the black to end the game. And he is far from a one-pitch pitcher. No wonder he was so dominant. Was also impressed with Lemont's infield defense. They will be a tough out in 3A. Not sure who else they have on the mound, though.

JCA was very young this year. They should be very good the next 2-3 years.

South is the team to beat in the Southwest Prairie. Return pretty much everyone from their supersectional team from last year.

Sheesh, really surprised with Plainfield Souths year. Read they didn't win their conference and then bounced before the sectional.

Plainfield South had 3 D-1 pitchers. (Kentucky, Missouri and Western Illinois)
It seems like that team never meshed throughout the season.
Very inconsistent.

Yes, they have to be very disappointed in their performance this year. Not only three D1 pitchers, but every position player back but catcher. North keeps rolling along though, 8 straight regional championships.

Yes, they have to be very disappointed in their performance this year. Not only three D1 pitchers, but every position player back but catcher. North keeps rolling along though, 8 straight regional championships.

8 straight? Now that's impressive

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT