ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Class 5A?

My mom told me to say nothing if I didn’t have anything good to say......

On a theoretically upbeat note: The 5A bracket would be really interestIng if Phillips and ESL did not petition up (they would both be 5A by enrollment?).

Also they would be on different sides of the bracket with ESL in the South and Phillips in the North. Question would be - would all their playoff games be running clocks until the title game? Could Montini or JCA put up a fight in the early rounds of the playoffs?

If JCA got into playoffs, the powers to be would look at who would have the best chance at knocking them out, then they would put them in that division for playoffs. Just like the did 3 years ago when they put them in the north division instead of the south. There was teams that year that were north of Joliet Catholic that were in the south

I like Montini's chances in 5A. My only concern would be who is the QB for Montini this year and can they stay away from injuries. They have a lot of good players coming back who played in a lot of games last year.

Reactions: Bigmikesmom
If JCA got into playoffs, the powers to be would look at who would have the best chance at knocking them out, then they would put them in that division for playoffs. Just like the did 3 years ago when they put them in the north division instead of the south. There was teams that year that were north of Joliet Catholic that were in the south

Actually, Rich Central was the one who got screwed, not JCA.

All.... It would be pretty cool if JCA is back and ends up in the lower bracket (south) postseason bracket making it to the final against Montini.

A nice tribute after all of the IHSA's manipulation rules against the Catholic schools these past many years before district play occurs. Ratsy

I like Montini's chances in 5A. My only concern would be who is the QB for Montini this year and can they stay away from injuries. They have a lot of good players coming back who played in a lot of games last year.

I agree Montini has some good players but definitely have questions about depth, getting enough wins in the CCL Blue to make the playoffs (I predict they need at least 2 CCL Blue wins) and their are things they really need to improve on from last year on the defensive side on the football.

I'm not worried about QB. We have 4 of them. Can't have offensive lapses like we had against LZ and MC like last year.

I agree Montini has some good players but definitely have questions about depth, getting enough wins in the CCL Blue to make the playoffs (I predict they need at least 2 CCL Blue wins)
This is Montini's schedule:
Aug 24 7:00 H Chicago (Hyde Park) 0-0 850.00
Aug 31 7:30 H Chicago (Christ the King) 0-0
Sep 7 7:30 H Aurora (Marmion Academy) 0-0 1755.60
Sep 14 7:30 H Westchester (St. Joseph) 0-0 335.00
Sep 21 7:30 H Chicago (St. Rita) 0-0 1897.50
Sep 29 1:30 A Wilmette (Loyola Academy) 0-0 3314.85
Oct 5 7:30 A Oak Park (Fenwick) 0-0 1965.15 Triton College
Oct 12 7:30 A New Lenox (Providence Catholic) 0-0 1537.80
Oct 19 7:30 H Chicago (Brother Rice) 0-0 2290.20

How do they need 2 Blue wins? Hyde Park, Christ the King and Joe's are guaranteed wins. They should handle Marmion. Fenwick will be challenging. IMO, worst case scenario for the Broncos is going 1-1 in the Marmion and Fenwick games. If that's the case, they would still only need one win in the Blue.

Reactions: jwarigaku
All.... It would be pretty cool if JCA is back and ends up in the lower bracket (south) postseason bracket making it to the final against Montini.

A nice tribute after all of the IHSA's manipulation rules against the Catholic schools these past many years before district play occurs. Ratsy
The powers to be will never let two catholic schools play each other in a state championship game if they can help it. Jca 3 years ago, if they were in the south, would of played Nazareth in the state championship game instead of the semi finals against each other. That’s why they put jca in the north. Jca would of played Lincoln way west in the semi finals. The powers to be will never make it easy for catholic schools let alone JCA.

Reactions: Gene K.
Now that is truly humorous, Rich Central lost in the first round to a team that got blown out in the semi’s in a blizzard. JCA lost the state title game in the 3rd round!

JCA was correctly placed in the North bracket. Sterling and Rich Central were switched. Look at a map.

This is Montini'worst case scenario for the Broncos is going 1-1 in the Marmion and Fenwick games. If that's the case, they would still only need one win in the Blue.

Believe me, at the end of the year you will be telling me I'm right....

Montini needed at least 2 CCL Blue wins to make the playoffs.

One at most. Marmion barely has 30 kids on their team.

Oh, that year also, st Laurence was in the south when Joliet catholic in the north.

Btw, rich central was in the south. They played st Laurence first round. They didn’t get screwed.

Btw, rich central was in the south. They played st Laurence first round. They didn’t get screwed.

They were in north bracket.

http://www.ihsa.org/SportsActivities/BoysFootball/RecordsHistory.aspx?url=/data/fb/records/index.htm

1-8 North 9-16 south.

Game 1 — Glen Ellyn (Glenbard South) 42, Chicago (Westinghouse College Prep) 0

Game 2 — Tinley Park (H.S.) 41, Chicago (Payton) 20

Game 3 — Chicago (King) 42, Chicago (DuSable) 6

Game 4 — Burbank (St. Laurence) 41, Olympia Fields (Rich Central) 34

Game 5 — Chicago (Solorio Academy) 20, Chicago (Lindblom) 18

Game 6 — LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy) 38, Sycamore (H.S.) 6

Game 7 — Joliet (Catholic Academy) 48, Vernon Hills 29

Game 8 — Woodstock (Marian) 41, Belvidere (H.S.) 7

Game 9 — Washington 36, Bartonville (Limestone) 7

Game 10 — Sterling (H.S.) 44, Metamora 12

Game 11 — Champaign (Central) 80, Jacksonville (H.S.) 40

Game 12 — Decatur (Eisenhower) 39, Highland 29

Game 13 — Troy (Triad) 38, Mattoon 13

Game 14 — New Lenox (Lincoln-Way West) 35, Dunlap 12

Game 15 — Peoria (H.S.) 54, Normal (University) 32

Game 16 — Centralia (H.S.) 35, Marion (H.S.) 34

Jchill,

They were not in the south, they were in the north with St Laurence. JCA lost to Naz in round 3 and St Laurence got shut out by Naz in the semis. Naz then proceeded to clock LWWest in the final who was on the south side.

MC140,

I Chirped about Sterling being put in the south at the time because I though JCA belonged there. Rich Central is in fact about 0.3 miles south of JCA. However, if the seeding was done correctly(1-32) JCA should have been on the opposite side of the bracket from Naz and played for the state title. Rich Central regardless of which side of the bracket they land on, does not make it past round 3 and likely remains eliminated in round 1 or round 2.

Jchill,

They were not in the south, they were in the north with St Laurence. JCA lost to Naz in round 3 and St Laurence got shut out by Naz in the semis. Naz then proceeded to clock LWWest in the final who was on the south side.

MC140,

I Chirped about Sterling being put in the south at the time because I though JCA belonged there. Rich Central is in fact about 0.3 miles south of JCA. However, if the seeding was done correctly(1-32) JCA should have been on the opposite side of the bracket from Naz and played for the state title. Rich Central regardless of which side of the bracket they land on, does not make it past round 3 and likely remains eliminated in round 1 or round 2.

Different argument though. Point is JCA wasn't screwed by the IHSA.

Reactions: penlight

Are you thinking Montini needs 6 wins to make the playoffs?

I stand corrected then on that. But still thought it was strange that JCA had to play at Naz.

The powers to be will never let two catholic schools play each other in a state championship game if they can help it. Jca 3 years ago, if they were in the south, would of played Nazareth in the state championship game instead of the semi finals against each other. That’s why they put jca in the north. Jca would of played Lincoln way west in the semi finals. The powers to be will never make it easy for catholic schools let alone JCA.

If I'm not mistaken, Benet and Mount Carmel were on a collision course last year before both teams were derailed in the 7A semifinals.

Reactions: Cross Bones
I find this class interesting, you would have to be out of your mind that Montini doesn't have a good shot just based off of their pedigree, and then adding their tough conference schedule on top of that. Using the same token I would be very curious to see how the morale of their team will be going into the playoffs after potentially only winning 1 or 2 games out of their last 5 regular season games, I think that is something that can be overlooked sometimes. Then you have JCA who is playing a tough conference which should allow them to have a chance to do well in the playoffs, and they have some major championship pedigree, but who knows if they even are still playing after week 9. No offense to anyone at JCA, I know there's been a lot of positive news out of JCA recently, but I still have a believe it when I see it mentality when it comes to them. To be honest those two traditional state powers are probably the most talked about favorites in 5a, but I am still not super confident in either program, I think both are definitely capable, but if I were to put my money on either Montini, JCA, or the field, I'm definitely going with the field. This class is wide open for the taking, is this the year one of the mid level ESCC schools like Viator or MCC break through or do we see another public school finally break through like Vernon Hills and Peoria did in 16? In that case I would say watch out for a school like Hillcrest coming off a good year and has a good amount of talent coming back, or a team for the Northern IL Big 12. Should be a wide open and fun class to watch without a ton of hands down great teams

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Are you thinking Montini needs 6 wins to make the playoffs?
Just look at their schedule. They are going to be pulling for Hyde Park, CTK and St. joes wins in weeks 8 and 9. Been there before. Not a settling place to be.

Reactions: Irish LB
These are my thoughts on 5a. First, my heart is always with MCC and they will always be my pick to win 5a! My next pick is Montini. Getting the 5 wins will not be easy for them, but if they do, I would not want to be the 9-0 team seeing them in the first round. The one thing about the staff at Montini, they know how to adjust their offensive and defensive scemes, with the talent they have, to get the most out of it. Like I said in an earlier thread the team I think you have to keep a close eye on is Antioch! In fact I would not be surprised that was not a first round game! Antioch and Montini!

Just look at their schedule. They are going to be pulling for Hyde Park, CTK and St. joes wins in weeks 8 and 9. Been there before. Not a settling place to be.
Come to think of it you are on to something here. With only 5 wins, they could very well have a problem with points!

Reactions: HighSchooldad
These are my thoughts on 5a. First, my heart is always with MCC and they will always be my pick to win 5a! My next pick is Montini. Getting the 5 wins will not be easy for them, but if they do, I would not want to be the 9-0 team seeing them in the first round. The one thing about the staff at Montini, they know how to adjust their offensive and defensive scemes, with the talent they have, to get the most out of it. Like I said in an earlier thread the team I think you have to keep a close eye on is Antioch! In fact I would not be surprised that was not a first round game! Antioch and Montini!
Big fan of mcc program and their fans(not the refs) but I’m hearing the depth is just not there this year. Under 30 players on varsity I hear? If they do get in I’m thinking quarterfinals at best.

Big fan of mcc program and their fans(not the refs) but I’m hearing the depth is just not there this year. Under 30 players on varsity I hear? If they do get in I’m thinking quarterfinals at best.
I heard very low numbers at MCC too. I was surprised Edgy ranked them as high as he did in 5A.

Don't count Sterling out this year. We'll have a pretty good team out there on the field again this year!

Reactions: MR. "T"
I heard very low numbers at MCC too. I was surprised Edgy ranked them as high as he did in 5A.
I think I saw on twitter that there are 35 players. And I must have missed that post, where did he rank them?

I always forget about Antioch! You're definitely right I think there's a good chance we see them in the semis or down state, kind of like the Sterling team last year. New offensive weapons plus adding a well known DC in Proffit, could be a recipe for success!

I think that 35 number is Sophmore, Junior, and Senior's combined.
Oh...well this is not good...better hope for there to be some talent in that number and not many injuries. Hey maybe they can be like "300 Team" in 2007 where there were like 22 or 24 kids on the varsity and was one point away from another State title game appearance, sorry if that brings up bad memories for you :(

Oh...well this is not good...better hope for there to be some talent in that number and not many injuries. Hey maybe they can be like "300 Team" in 2007 where there were like 22 or 24 kids on the varsity and was one point away from another State title game appearance, sorry if that brings up bad memories for you :(
Good and bad! That year was crazy! Brucker and the rest of the coaches had to run practices using half lines all season till the playoffs started. Getting blown off our own field 30 to nothing during the season by Montini. Then coming back in the playoffs to beat them 29 to 16 on their field. That game we lost 1 of the 2 backs we had to a broken ankle right before the half. We had 3 lineman playing with casts on their arms. One of them being our center who had to switch to his left hand to snap at mid season. Not one bad snap ALL season! What is the word coaches use today? I believe the word is "GRIT"! If any team had Grit the 300 was surely one of them!

Reactions: lkhammer57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT