ADVERTISEMENT

The IHSA Bowl system?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
So stay with me here. Since we’re obviously not going to have any postseason Why not come up with a bowl system. Let’s come up with football games throughout the state, say as a week seven reward. So here’s what we need to come up with.

First of all I figured the NCAA had 35 bowl games last year just to get an idea of how many we can work with..

Let’s also figure how many games per class. Various bowl sponsors of businesses located throughout the state Etc.

Example?

Class 6A

The Frankie’s Deli Bowl
The Fat johnnies Bowl

also do we have a 4 team championship system like the NCAA? Do we keep the bowl games featuring the top teams regardless or location or do we stick to regional opponents?

again think big, have fun and get creative.

The Slop Bowl. CG v PR. Their fields will be destroyed by week 4. Or the “Dominating the Dojo Bowl” starring 12A Huntley v any 6A FVC team. Yeah that’s right, now that football is back so is Huntley bashing. 😀

Last edited:
Reactions: Wishbone35
What HS football player would not want to star in the EdgyBowl.....

How about Bowl games at the Illinois colleges:
Huskie Bowl, Titan Bowl, Spartan Bowl, Wildcat Bowl, Cardinal bowl, Illini Bowl, Leatherneck Bowl, Panther Bowl, Saluki Bowl. It would be great pub for Illinois colleges.

Can we actually make these games happen?? Don’t see why not.

what’s the difference between the prep bowl and one of these games?

I thought I read somewhere that there only needs to be 60 days between seasons, that correct? If it is, then why can't football go until Memorial Day weekend?

I was trying to type up a nicer sounding response, but this works....
Didn't realize I said your world needs to. Your choice. I bet for all high school seniors right now, and a lot of other people they would love to have their world revolve around it.

Didn't realize you had the authority to speak to everyone's world?

Take your morning medication!

OK, I'm not missing out the fun threads:

It sounds like they are going to let teams venture out of their regions/conferences if needed, which is good for the Oswego schools, because they are basically in the corner of four counties and the largest schools in Kendall.

If they do Bowl games I'd like to see the Oswego Schools play some sort of combination of Waubonsee Valley, Neuqua Valley (which was their non-con games this year after years no non-con games) I'd also love to see Oswego play Batavia, Kaneland, Naper Central or Morris in a "bowl" game

Umm..... Isn't this a football forum?

Yes. And I understand certain fanatics feel the world of high school athletics is football, only football, and everyone else be damned. But that’s not the reality. The IHSA came out with an equitable schedule after the governor’s office put them in a nearly impossible situation. Every sport gets roughly 7-8 weeks. Seems fair. So why should football be special and get a full season and everyone else get a truncated schedule?

Didn't realize I said your world needs to. Your choice. I bet for all high school seniors right now, and a lot of other people they would love to have their world revolve around it.

Didn't realize you had the authority to speak to everyone's world?

Take your morning medication!
Based on your response, I think you need the medication.

It's easy to say "why can't they play until Memorial Day", but it's not an easy problem. Once football is done, you have track and field, lacrosse, and girls soccer that might need the fields, plus all the other sports looking for weight room/indoor space. You have multi-sport athletes that want to play football, but also want to do wrestling, track, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball, etc. Extending the football season eliminates that opportunity.

I like the bowl concept. But, lets say they play only in Region games so the ICE schools get a shot at McNamara. For most of the ICE, that would be the bowl game. But what if they did conference shootouts week 7 - like trade Mac & Lisle for the regular season, then seed the conferences against each other ICE v. Metro Blue on a neutral site(s)? Or ICE v. Big Northern...etc.

The Ikea Bowl: Bolingbrook Vs. Romeoville
Aside from my goofy bowl ideas, I always wanted to see a CG v Barrington game to see if CG can play with the big boys.
Would be fun to watch. Msl teams never see the offensive machine that is CG option football. It’s a punch in the mouth. One of my favorite programs that I don’t have a connection to.

Based on your response, I think you need the medication.

It's easy to say "why can't they play until Memorial Day", but it's not an easy problem. Once football is done, you have track and field, lacrosse, and girls soccer that might need the fields, plus all the other sports looking for weight room/indoor space. You have multi-sport athletes that want to play football, but also want to do wrestling, track, lacrosse, baseball, volleyball, etc. Extending the football season eliminates that opportunity.

So which IHSA sports would be impacted, that are not already impacted, if football went from April 24th to May 28th

We should create the Jim Thorpe bowl where only multi sport athletes are allowed to play. I know it’s silly but it’s been that kinda year. I can attest kids are beyond excited to be back training and hopefully playing

So which IHSA sports would be impacted, that are not already impacted, if football went from April 24th to May 28th

How about answering my question? Why is football special and should be the only sport to get a full season. Because Brin22 really, really likes it a lot?

So your argument for going to Memorial Day is that the other sports are already impacted, so let's just take away another month of their season??? If you go to Memorial Day with football, you are pretty much eliminating the ability of someone to play football and then also do wrestling, baseball, lacrosse, volleyball, tennis, or track. Those season would have 2 weeks left by the time football was done.

And it still ignores the fact that there are other teams that need field/weight room/training space

Reactions: Gene K.
So your argument for going to Memorial Day is that the other sports are already impacted, so let's just take away another month of their season??? If you go to Memorial Day with football, you are pretty much eliminating the ability of someone to play football and then also do wrestling, baseball, lacrosse, volleyball, tennis, or track. Those season would have 2 weeks left by the time football was done.

And it still ignores the fact that there are other teams that need field/weight room/training space

Taking logistics out of it I think in most cases kids would rather have a full season in football and skip the other sports since football only sport you can’t do outside of high school.

Another consideration is that colleges are eliminating the so-called niche sports, such as lacrosse, volleyball, swimming, and track. As these sports are eliminated, scholarships will evaporate, as will student interest and the willingness of parents to invest in them. Football, at most schools, pays its own way, with help from alumni donations. Even many high schools survive thanks to generous donors.

I like the idea of conferences having an agreement to put their top teams against each other. With so many teams playing closed schedules it would be nice to get some new opponents, or maybe an old foe who has since been dropped off the schedule.

I also think it would be cool to have teams play rematches of their state title games if they have made one in years past.

Some teams I would like to see Wilmington play in a "bowl" would be-
Mac- Always wanted to play them in recent history
Maroa- Seem to do well year in and year out. Let's see how a CI 2A school would fare against a 3A north school
Morris- Reents bowl. Always wanted to play them too
Williamsville- repeat of our most recent title game
Stillman- First title game WHS was in
Spring Valley- Had a fun 3 or 4 game set with them in early 2000s
Carthage Illini West- Awesome game. Awesome town

Love the idea. Would require all schools to schedule only 5 games and leave April 23 and 24 open. Perhaps conferences have to make that arrangement.
PC-JC
MC-LWE
LA-NT
Pats-ND (if they don’t already play)
Morris-Minooka
Brook-Naz
Montini-Batavia
MS-Warren
HF- Marist
SHG-WWS

First off, you're not taking anything away, you're providing an option!

Put some things into perspective:

In Illinois, 192,000 boys play sports, 39,000 play football participation rate of 20%

Next highest is basketball with 23,600 rate of 12% but these two seasons are going to be independent of each other. Most other sports have about 10,000-20,000 participants with a rate of 5-10% so at most half of the participation rate of football.

The team I played on, we had 68 players on the varsity roster and only 12 play a sport in addition to football, 4 of them were basketball and of the remaining 8 only 2 of them was their predominate sport not football. A significant number of players only participate in another sport to supplement football...like track.

If we use this team as a sample, this would mean of the 192,000 boys, only 5,600 throughout the state would have a decision to make. So taking away the option for 33,000 football players to play a full schedule because 5,600 will have a DECISION to make doesn't seem fair.

The kids that want to do both they are going to have to figure out way to participate in both from April 5th to the 24th, why can't just extend this circumstance for another month. AGAIN THESE ARE CHOICES!

Only sports that use a football field is soccer and lacrosse. In case of facilities that do not have multiple fields, they are gonna have to find a way to share from April 5th to the 24th, extend that compromise another 4 weeks.

Love the idea. Would require all schools to schedule only 5 games and leave April 23 and 24 open. Perhaps conferences have to make that arrangement.
PC-JC
MC-LWE
LA-NT
Pats-ND (if they don’t already play)
Morris-Minooka
Brook-Naz
Montini-Batavia
MS-Warren
HF- Marist
SHG-WWS
Can Loyola please schedule a more competitive opponent than NT?

Also I realize how the game would go 9.5 times out of ten, but I would love to see Wilmo and Minooka play....have a lot of friends and family there. Would be fun either way

Can Loyola please schedule a more competitive opponent than NT?
Ok. They can have Warren.

actually after reading soucies pseudo playoff idea I think that is the winner for the Catholic league/escc. Three weeks of conference play and then playoffs.Three better divisions feed into one championship tourney. Three lower divisions play into a class 1a tourney. 8 leftover teams from each subsection play into a consolation tourney. 24 teams. Three week round robins. 3 weeks of three individual 8 team tournaments.

this could be huge for private schools as they can differentiate their product from publics by offering their kids a meaningful end of season tournament. And it wouldn’t be an ihsa state title but bragging rights among those bigger schools would be through the roof .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT