ADVERTISEMENT

The "Golden Years" of high school football...

Cat Box

Sep 23, 2012
When were the "Golden Years" of high school football?
Are we experiencing it now?
Is it in the future?
Or was it in our past and gone forever?

From what I gather on this board, it is in our past. Football participation numbers are down. Enrollment at most private schools are flat or declining. Lots of complaints still about 8 classes instead of 6 classes.

What were the "Golden Years" for the football program you follow? And what were the "Golden Years" of high school football in Illinois? Is has there ever been such a thing?

Golden Years @ Aurora Christian...

From my perspective, I'd have to say 2007-2013 was the peak.
Before the housing market collapsed in late 2008, the school was at its highest enrollment, about 400 students. The school started football in 1998. Don Beebe retired from the NFL, returned home to Sugar Grove and took the Head Coach job in 2004. By 2007, AC was a legitimate 3A contender posting a 12-1 record with a semi-final loss to eventual champs Plano. Plans were made to put in a turf field for the 2008 season (few had turf in 2008 - this was a big deal) In 2008 AC got bumped up to 4A, defeated Driscoll Catholic in the quarter finals (ending their 7 season string of state championships) and took runner-up in the state championship game and a 13-1 record. After a dip in 2009-2010, the program won back-to-back 3A state championships in 2011-2012. A three-peat was in the works for 2013 with a loaded team that fell one game short on a last minute loss in the semi-finals to eventual champs Stillman Valley.

And then it was over...

The SCC broke up after the 2013 season. The move to the CCL was not a good one for AC - the timing was really bad for that conference transition. There was a time when AC was a destination for football talent. There were kids from Joliet Catholic transferring to AC. It was a wild time. The games were packed, parking was a challenge, It was an electric time.

Ironically, despite the significant financial challenges and drop in enrollment related to the housing market crash, football kept that school afloat and relevant.

AC still offers (arguably) the best football experience for private school kids west of Route 59. There are good days ahead with lots of young talent. I expect to see regular playoff qualifying teams - some with deep runs, but unlikely we will ever see the stuff of that 2007-2013 era.

Last edited:
I can't wait to hear MC63's response to this one.

2_2_13255_2_1_690x520.jpg

Last edited:
My thoughts: it would definitely be before they started training for each sport at a professional level (almost a year-round training). Don't even get me started on too many camps and travelling teams.

Whatever happened to:
Fall - football
Winter - wrestling / basketball
Spring - baseball
Summer - summer baseball

Reactions: ignazio
Manteno played football for a handful of years prior to WWII, and then started the program with the first varsity season in 2002. Hmm, the playoff string from 2010-17 would be our "Golden Years"? 2011 the Panthers were the #1 seed in 4A South, losing to Rochester round 2....2014 started 8-0, I-8 Large Champs, lost to 3A Champ Wilmington week 9, quarters loss to Coal City...2015 again started 8-0, lost to Wilmo week 9, finished 9-2...

Wilmo is in the midst of a 23 year stretch of "Golden Years"...

Reactions: Cat Box
Not sure on which decade was better.What I do know attendance is way down all over because of televised games on computers.

Disagree. Student involvement is way down at games because you no longer need sporting events to congregate with large groups. Everyone is connected through snap chat and instagram.

I still remember in high school going to Taco Bell at 10pm when you had nothing to do since there was always people there and you could find something to do. Now kids are connected on 10 different social media platforms.

Football's golden years were before attention went to the individual above the team and the reader can stamp their own personal year or decade on that. For example:
  • Too many pictures of individual prospects mugging for the camera drawing attention to themselves via egotistical poses.
  • Endless tweet and retweets about blessings due to "offers."
  • Self-glorifying HUDL or YouTube highlight packages circulated through cyberspace.
  • "Signing" spectacles, presumably involving pulling students & staff out of class?
A ,monster has been created and perpetuated, arguably directed by the."media?" Thanks for the venting outlet!

Just another bazaar change in our culture that for sure will backfire.

To me, the 1980s were the heyday. Township Stadium was filled regardless if East, West or Althoff was playing. The Budweiser truck was parked right at the concessions and BBQ smoke filled the air.

A Priest at Althoff rode a horse on the - dressed as a Crusader. West and East student bodies threw carrots at Althoff players (they called us Bunnies - so eventually, the cheerleaders flipped the switch and dressed as bunnies.)

The BND covered every team, every game. There was a lead-up story on Friday or Saturday, the game recap the next and Monday was a recap/roundup piece about the past and upcoming games/opponents.

In the middle of the 1980s, on RARE occasion, the STL TV stations would come by - the first time I remember that was in 1985 when undefeated Althoff played undefeated Granite City, who the week before, beat ESL, ending their SEASONS-LONG winning streak.

By 1989 and 1990, Trey Wingo was a regular on our sideline, covering games for the local NBC station.

Football's golden years were before attention went to the individual above the team and the reader can stamp their own personal year or decade on that. For example:
  • Too many pictures of individual prospects mugging for the camera drawing attention to themselves via egotistical poses.
  • Endless tweet and retweets about blessings due to "offers."
  • Self-glorifying HUDL or YouTube highlight packages circulated through cyberspace.
  • "Signing" spectacles, presumably involving pulling students & staff out of class?
A ,monster has been created and perpetuated, arguably directed by the."media?" Thanks for the venting outlet!
You mean like: “I am honored and blessed to announce that I will be continuing my academic and baseball career at Podunk Community College”...... lol.

Your right Rock. A lot of us will look back on the current years as the golden years. I know that I will definitely not be going to many games if this district fiasco gets started. I sure the IHSA doesn't care about one fan not coming to a game, but maybe enough people will get fed up with the IHSA meddling enough to set up a rival to IHSA.

Reactions: RockSoup
I sure the IHSA doesn't care about one fan not coming to a game, but maybe enough people will get fed up with the IHSA meddling enough to set up a rival to IHSA.

“"Shrink, You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both ******s and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singin’ a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day, I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement.”

~ Arlo Guthrie

Reactions: Gene K.
Probably when the Prep Bowl meant something other than the losers bracket and there were 100,000 people attending and watching.

Remember Preps Plus in the Tribune. Flip over to the back of the sports page and there was 3 pages of pictures and articles of the day’s sporting events. Full page articles and game photos, not these two sentences they write now. Taylor Bell and Bob Sakamoto were masters of their craft. They pissed some people off with their opinions but they truly loved all high school sports. Try to find a good write up, besides Pat Disabato, on high school Baseball in the trib or times.....you won’t.

Remember Preps Plus in the Tribune. Flip over to the back of the sports page and there was 3 pages of pictures and articles of the day’s sporting events. Full page articles and game photos, not these two sentences they write now. Taylor Bell and Bob Sakamoto were masters of their craft. They pissed some people off with their opinions but they truly loved all high school sports. Try to find a good write up, besides Pat Disabato, on high school Baseball in the trib or times.....you won’t.
We might have the worst Hs sports coverage in a major metropolitan area for baseball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT