The CCL/ESCC Prognostication Thread - Week XI

ignazio

Oct 25, 2007

I wonder if Lynch remembers this game.

Prep Bowl:
Marian, Heights @ St Pats
(Triton) 11/7 7PM
neutral field
[2019] St. Patrick (Chicago, IL) 21, [2019] Marian Catholic (Chicago Heights, IL) 20

5A
Mt. Zion @ JC
11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Joliet Catholic Academy (Joliet, IL) 31, [2019] Mt. Zion (IL) 22
MCHS @ Sycamore 11/9 2PM
neutral field
[2019] Sycamore (IL) 27, [2019] Montini Catholic (Lombard, IL) 21
Boylan @ MA 11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Boylan (Rockford, IL) 26, [2019] Marmion Academy (Aurora, IL) 17
Hillcrest @ F 11/9 2PM
neutral field
[2019] Hillcrest (Country Club Hills, IL) 31, [2019] Fenwick (Oak Park, IL) 14
SR @ Sterling 11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] St. Rita (Chicago, IL) 31, [2019] Sterling (IL) 28

6A
Crete-Monee @ PC
11/9 2PM
neutral field
[2019] Providence Catholic (New Lenox, IL) 30, [2019] Crete-Monee (Crete, IL) 28

7A
Thornton @ Naz
11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Nazareth Academy (LaGrange Park, IL) 42, [2019] Thornton (Harvey, IL) 14
GN @ MC 11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Mount Carmel (Chicago, IL) 21, [2019] Glenbard North (Carol Stream, IL) 19

8A
ND @ LWE
11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Lincoln-Way East (Frankfort, IL) 22, [2019] Notre Dame (Niles, IL) 10
Huntley @ M 11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Huntley (IL) 24, [2019] Marist (Chicago, IL) 23
GW @ LA 11/9 1PM
neutral field
[2019] Glenbard West (Glen Ellyn, IL) 28, [2019] Loyola Academy (Wilmette, IL) 22
South Elgin @ BR 11/9 5PM
neutral field
[2019] Brother Rice (Chicago, IL) 27, [2019] South Elgin (IL) 21

Reactions: crusaderpride
I’ll take side action if you guess the first poster that predicts the pats/Marian game Friday.

Pat's -1
JCA -9
Montini +6 (Wassup agrees with this spread)
Rock Boylan -9
Hillcrest -17
Rita -3
Provi -2
Naz -28
MC -2
LWE -12
Marist +1
Loyola +6
Rice -6

Prep Bowl:

Marian Catholic @ Saint Patrick:
Through my historical observations (my amazing brain) teams that get bounced in the IHSA playoffs struggle the following week in the REAL playoffs. I was a big Heights supporter this year and they did a fantastic job. Hopefully they can build on it as well, but I'm taking the Shamrocks. St. Pat's 32 Marian of the Heights 16

5A

Mt. Zion @ Joliet Catholic:
Sounds like Mt. Zion is a very good team, but they haven't faced a team like the Hilltoppers. JCA 42 Mt. Zion 28

Montini @ Sycamore: This is going to be an excellent game between a battle tested squad in Montini and a Sycamore team that has been throttling their opponents. I am going to take the Broncos in a nail biter based of their experience week in and out this past season. Montini 31 Sycamore 27

Boylan @ Marmion Academy: We never know if the Rockford schools are actually good or a product of their weaker conferences, but I'm taking Boylan to handle the Cadets. Boylan 35 Marmion 20

Hillcrest @ Fenwick: Fenwick survived a tough game against Payton last week, but the Friars are a mess with all that is going on. The Country Clubbers of the Hills take care of business. Hillcrest 38 Fenwick 10

Saint Rita @ Sterling: Sterling seems to be a very good team, but they have a freight train coming through this weekend. I think it will be a good game for a half or so, but the Stangs will run right at Sterling and wear them out. SR 28 Sterling 17

6A

Crete-Monee @ Providence:
Coin flip game in my best guess and I will take the Celtics. Providence 27 C-M 22

7A

Thornton @ Nazareth:
Naz will not struggle. Naz 49 Thorton 6

Glenbard North @ Mount Carmel: Glenbard North is back to being what we know them as, but I just don't think they have the horses to hang with the Caravan. MC 28 GN 13

8A

Notre Dame @ Lincoln Way East:
LWE will not enjoy playing the Dons, but I don't think they will need 48 minutes to put them away. LWE 31 ND 13

Huntley @ Marist: Man, this is a very interesting match-up. Marist is Johnny come lately, but Huntley has beaten Cary Grove and Prairie Ridge and throttled everyone else since week 3. I'm going to go against my Faith and take the Red Raiders in an absolute slug fest. Huntley 17 Marist 16

Glenbard West @ Loyola Academy: Will the real Loyola please stand up...please stand up...please stand up? If I was a GW fan, I'd be awfully shaky about going into Wilmette for a Saturday afternoon November game. Strange things take place there and that's why I'm taking the Ramblers in an absolute war of attrition. LA 13 GW 10

South Elgin @ Brother Rice: South Elgin has received lots of love for their lopsided victories and it's good to see that district starting to develop football across the board, but they are walking into the lions cage at 99th and Pulaski. BR 35 SE 14

Last edited:
Prep Bowl
Pats -1 vs Marian

5A
JCA -9 vs Mt. Zion
Montini +6 vs Sycamore
Marmion +9 vs Boylan
Hillcrest -17 vs Fenwick
Rita -3 vs Sterling

6A
Crete-Monee +2 vs Providence

7A
Naz -28 vs Thornton
Mount Carmel -2 vs GBN

8A
LWE -12 vs ND
Marist +1 vs Huntley
GBW -6 vs Loyola
Brother Rice -6 vs South Elgin

Reactions: ignazio
Prep Bowl:

Marian Catholic @ Saint Patrick:
Through my historical observations (my amazing brain) teams that get bounced in the IHSA playoffs struggle the following week in the REAL playoffs. I was a big Heights supporter this year and they did a fantastic job. Hopefully they can build on it as well, but I'm taking the Shamrocks. St. Pat's 32 Marian of the Heights 16

Saint Ignatius @ De La Salle:
Cmon Ignazio...how could you leave this game out?! ;) Kudos for Iggy's and their support of the prep bowl and I think this could be a very well contested game, but I am soaring with the Meteors. DLS 40 Iggy's 31

5A

Mt. Zion @ Joliet Catholic:
Sounds like Mt. Zion is a very good team, but they haven't faced a team like the Hilltoppers. JCA 42 Mt. Zion 28

Montini @ Sycamore: This is going to be an excellent game between a battle tested squad in Montini and a Sycamore team that has been throttling their opponents. I am going to take the Broncos in a nail biter based of their experience week in and out this past season. Montini 31 Sycamore 27

Boylan @ Marmion Academy: We never know if the Rockford schools are actually good or a product of their weaker conferences, but I'm taking Boylan to handle the Cadets. Boylan 35 Marmion 20

Hillcrest @ Fenwick: Fenwick survived a tough game against Payton last week, but the Friars are a mess with all that is going on. The Country Clubbers of the Hills take care of business. Hillcrest 38 Fenwick 10

Saint Rita @ Sterling: Sterling seems to be a very good team, but they have a freight train coming through this weekend. I think it will be a good game for a half or so, but the Stangs will run right at Sterling and wear them out. SR 28 Sterling 17

6A

Crete-Monee @ Providence:
Coin flip game in my best guess and I will take the Celtics. Providence 27 C-M 22

7A

Thornton @ Nazareth:
Naz will not struggle. Naz 49 Thorton 6

Glenbard North @ Mount Carmel: Glenbard North is back to being what we know them as, but I just don't think they have the horses to hang with the Caravan. MC 28 GN 13

8A

Notre Dame @ Lincoln Way East:
LWE will not enjoy playing the Dons, but I don't think they will need 48 minutes to put them away. LWE 31 ND 13

Huntley @ Marist: Man, this is a very interesting match-up. Marist is Johnny come lately, but Huntley has beaten Cary Grove and Prairie Ridge and throttled everyone else since week 3. I'm going to go against my Faith and take the Red Raiders in an absolute slug fest. Huntley 17 Marist 16

Glenbard West @ Loyola Academy: Will the real Loyola please stand up...please stand up...please stand up? If I was a GW fan, I'd be awfully shaky about going into Wilmette for a Saturday afternoon November game. Strange things take place there and that's why I'm taking the Ramblers in an absolute war of attrition. LA 13 GW 10

South Elgin @ Brother Rice: South Elgin has received lots of love for their lopsided victories and it's good to see that district starting to develop football across the board, but they are walking into the lions cage at 99th and Pulaski. BR 35 SE 14
Iggy and D will be the matchup but it will be played next weekend along with StL vs Pats/Marian winner

LWE over ND by 11.

Glenbard North over MC by 1.

Glenbard West over Loyola by 2.

Sycamore over Montini by 3.

St Rita over Sterling by 21.

Naz over Thornton.

Huntley over Marist by 2.

Brother Rice over South Elgin by 24.

I just don’t see how GBN beats MtC as some have suggested. I could certainly be wrong and lord knows I have been numerous times but MtC by 17.

I just don’t see how GBN beats MtC as some have suggested. I could certainly be wrong and lord knows I have been numerous times but MtC by 17.
My concern with MC is they seem to have trouble putting teams away. They've allowed inferior opponents to hang around much more than I would have expected. Eventually, that can come back to bite a team. GBN is good, and they are rolling. I see it being close. IMO, MC may be a year away.

My concern with MC is they seem to have trouble putting teams away. They've allowed inferior opponents to hang around much more than I would have expected. Eventually, that can come back to bite a team. GBN is good, and they are rolling. I see it being close. IMO, MC may be a year away.
I just don’t see how a one dimensional team can beat this MtC team. For the record I don’t think GBN passing game is good enough to be considered non one dimensional against an elite defense.

Reactions: sivada2001
Prep Bowl:
St. Pats -1

5A:
JCA -9
Montini +6
Boylan -9
Hillcrest -17
SR -3
6A:
Crete +2
7A:
Naz -28
MC -2
8A:
LWE -12
Marist +1
LA +6
BR -6

I know nothing about Huntley – zero. The only thing that comes to mind when I hear Huntley is from a WGN radio commercial a few years back that used a WGN spokesperson/radio personality with a very, very deep and husky voice (forget his name) – but the commercial was for Jameson’s Char House and he goes on to say that he and his wife often visit their Huntley location – so I just imagine the Huntley football team to be comprised of a bunch of big ole’ strong McHenry steak-eating county boys who play some hard-nosed football – just what comes to mind. But still, Marist will win big – by 3 scores!

And LWE will win by 20

Reactions: eagles2k3
A steakhouse in Huntley? Huh.
Let’s just say that they have a unique demographic up there.
Also they hit like a ton of bricks.

JCA -10
Montini -7
Marmion +10
Fenwick +21
Rita -14
Providence -3
Naz -28
Mount Carmel -10
ND +14
Marist +3
Loyola +1
Brother Rice -3

Reactions: ESCC fan
I know nothing about Huntley – zero. The only thing that comes to mind when I hear Huntley is from a WGN radio commercial a few years back that used a WGN spokesperson/radio personality with a very, very deep and husky voice (forget his name) – but the commercial was for Jameson’s Char House and he goes on to say that he and his wife often visit their Huntley location – so I just imagine the Huntley football team to be comprised of a bunch of big ole’ strong McHenry steak-eating county boys who play some hard-nosed football – just what comes to mind. But still, Marist will win big – by 3 scores!

And LWE will win by 20
Orion Samuelson?

St. Pats over Marian Catholic 26-20
JCA over Mt Zion 25-14

Montini over Sycamore 29-27.. Sycamore is very tough, and only played in one close game this year, which they lost 13-0 to Dekalb. Every other game was a blowout win. Montini’s closest games were losing to Mt. Carmel by a TD and beating St Rita and St. Viator by 2 scores. Whoever turns the ball over less will win imo.

Boylan over Marmian Academy 35-20
Hillcrest over Fenwick 33-15
Sterling over St. Rita 44-42 OT. I think this could be back and forth and wouldnt be surprised if either team makes a comeback if down a couple scores in 1st half. I’ll take sterling’s run game to ground and pound in cold weather to edge St. Rita.

Crete Monee over Providence Catholic 15-14
Naz over Thornton 45-6
Mt.Carmel over Glenbard North 31-27. Think it’ll be a revenge game for Mt. Carmel.

NND over LWE 21-18 UPSET. I’m not doubting or hating LWE just going on a limb based on NND’s BATTLE-TESTED schedule.

Marist over Huntley 23-16
South Elgin over Brother Rice 27-22

Glenbard West over Loyola Academy 37-33. One of the top games in the state, i just don’t know if GBW run game can be stopped without selling out pass defense. Loyola will play anyone anytime and I dig that but I don’t see another fairytale ending as last yr.

Looking at the predictions for the JCA/Mt. Zion game, it appears WAY too much credit is being given to the Braves. Y'all do realize that they had to go to overtime to beat a 5-4 McArthur team by 1 point (31-30), right? The game was at Mt. Zion, and McArthur did not convert a PAT the entire game!!

The Braves will enter a whole new world when they travel to Memorial Stadium. Staying within 14 points of the Hillmen will be a victory of sorts for them. I don't see it being that close, however.

Reactions: Gene K. and USD24
Looking at the predictions for the JCA/Mt. Zion game, it appears WAY too much credit is being given to the Braves. Y'all do realize that they had to go to overtime to beat a 5-4 McArthur team by 1 point (31-30), right? The game was at Mt. Zion, and McArthur did not convert a PAT the entire game!!
I think I saw that Mt. Zion & MacArthur are 2 schools in very close proximity and could be bitter rivals. If that is the case you can usually throw out records when they play each other.

Prep Bowl

StP -1 Marian South has a few good skill players and a little size. Just not enough yet.

5A

JCA -9 JCA hitting on all cylinders earlier than expected

Montini +6 Montini Express continues their march to Dekalb

Marmion +9 Cadets at home is never an easy proposition

Hillcrest -17 Hawks take care of business

St. Rita -3 This one has the chance to be EPIC!

6A

C-M +2 does PC injuries become too much to overcome this week?

7A

Naz -28 cruises to the Elite 8

MC -2 Caravan toughs out another victory in a sneaky GOTW

8A

LWE -12 doesn’t struggle to win but will not enjoy this second round spirited effort from the Dons

Marist +1 Do the RedHawks have enough O to win a possible shootout?

LA +6 Any opportunity to get a TD at home for LA has to be taken just for the novelty of it.

BR -6 only one of these teams is in a closed conference but still can’t a handle on either team’s chances

And remember, always enjoy every minute of HS football playoffs, like Jason Isbell sang in Speed Trap town, they’re a “boy’s last dream, and a man’s first loss”.

I think I saw that Mt. Zion & MacArthur are 2 schools in very close proximity and could be bitter rivals. If that is the case you can usually throw out records when they play each other.

They do not play each other during the regular season (different conferences) or even the post season, since Mt. Zion ends up in 4A year after year, while McArthur is 5A when they do happen to make the playoffs. I think the close proximity of the communities and the fact that it is the "big" City of Decatur against "tiny" Mt. Zion are what constitute the "rivalry", at least in terms of last Saturday's first round game. Supposedly, many had been waiting for the two to meet for a long time.

I hate to do this yet again, but something is wrong, why in the world is a school like Joliet Catholic which recruits football players from all over Joliet (a city of 147,000) & numerous other surrounding towns playing a school from Mt. Zion (population 5,833)? It’s not right, fix it. I guess in the meantime congrats to JCA on another bogus road to state. Be sure to kick a puppy dog & take a lollipop from a baby on your trip to DeKalb.

I hate to do this yet again, but something is wrong, why in the world is a school like Joliet Catholic which recruits football players from all over Joliet (a city of 147,000) & numerous other surrounding towns playing a school from Mt. Zion (population 5,833)? It’s not right, fix it. I guess in the meantime congrats to JCA on another bogus road to state. Be sure to kick a puppy dog & take a lollipop from a baby on your trip to DeKalb.
We hate that you did it again. JCA is no different than any of the other CCL/ESCC schools.

For real? Recruit all over Joliet? Come on Go Rice, you recruit all the way to Aurora

Why is a school like BR which recruits players from all over Chicago (population 2.8 million) & numerous other suburbs playing in the same class as a school from Frankfort (population 19,178)? It’s just not right. How is a school like LWE supposed to contend with them?

Being from the north suburbs, I'm debating between going to LA/GBW, Sycamore/Montini, or even Sterling/SR. I went to LA/LWE last year, possibly the best game I've ever been to, that would be the easiest, but then I've been there already and love going to new venues. Sycamore would be cool, it would remind me of my drives to DeKalb when I attended NIU a million years ago. Sterling would be awesome, I could stick around for the 6PM game as well! My wife is out of town so it is TOTALLY UP TO ME!!

Stop trolling, you clown.

How is this JCA’s fault? To a degree I understand your argument, however, they are playing where they are classified.

Reactions: Stable42
Why is a school like BR which recruits players from all over Chicago (population 2.8 million) & numerous other suburbs playing in the same class as a school from Frankfort (population 19,178)? It’s just not right. How is a school like LWE supposed to contend with them?

If you add that tuition is 12K per year the demographic is severely diminished.

Reactions: Gene K.
If you add that tuition is 12K per year the demographic is severely diminished.
I totally agree and the same can be applied to JCA in this scenario. My point was that it’s absurd to call out JCA for being in the class their in and trying to make it out like they’re some bully kicking babies and stealing suckers. Enrollment (and success for non boundary schools) is the way that the IHSA classifies teams right now, it’s not JCA’s fault they are in 5A. They play who they play and they should try and win every game just like everyone else.

Silly me, I thought multiplying and success factor had put an end to all this kind of talk.

Reactions: caravan8
Y="go_rice, post: 221662, member: 2072"]And your point is? Rice plays in the highest class. With 700 students. No complaints, it’s where they belong.[/QUOTE]
You took a shot at JCA for recruiting in Joliet area-like it was a bad thing

I don’t know if Rice fans should be calling anyone else’s road to State as bogus, BR has a pretty easy road to the semi’s, could have been so much worse after a 5-4 season. Look at Loyola’s and they went 6-3.

I don’t know if Rice fans should be calling anyone else’s road to State as bogus, BR has a pretty easy road to the semi’s, could have been so much worse after a 5-4 season. Look at Loyola’s and they went 6-3.
Agreed. A cakewalk.

Gorice is a fire starter. He’s like that kid who makes fart noises in class. Funny at first then you Just ignore him.

for the sake of us crusader fans please do not judge his comments as speaking for our 6-4 football team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT