ADVERTISEMENT

Stevenson Head football coach resigns

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
new head coach Mike Morrissey resigned today from Stevenson. Family and personal issues but no great detail beyond that.

Great question not sure anyone saw this coming

I would imagine they go back to some of the other applicants but I’m sure a few of them will no longer be interested or do they just start the process over again?

I would imagine they go back to some of the other applicants but I’m sure a few of them will no longer be interested or do they just start the process over again?

With the amount of money Stevenson pays for teaching, I am sure whoever was second in line will get over any hurt feelings quick.

Helicopter parents ?

Stuck with poor assistant coaches who teach at the school looking for free hats and shirts instead of helping out daily with the off season lifting ?

Better to find out early than invest a lot of time !

So this would drop his average stint per school to what, 1 school per year? Why was he hired in the first place...his resume was a revolving door. What, no one who knows the area was qualified enough for the job, had to go to Iowa to recruit a coach?

Reactions: Undercenter3rd1
Helicopter parents ?

Stuck with poor assistant coaches who teach at the school looking for free hats and shirts instead of helping out daily with the off season lifting ?

Better to find out early than invest a lot of time !
Sometimes individuals from smaller metropolitan areas get cold feet when they see how much houses cost in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I don't know if he was originally from the Chicago area.

If I'm an AD, I can't trust anything out of this guy's mouth going forward.

With winning head coaching experience.
You almost need to promote from within at this point. Dunn left Marist in July, they moved up Dawzak who knew the kids and the playbook and has gone 11-1 and 11-2. Granted he had great talent to work with but I’m guessing Stevenson has plenty in the cupboard.

So this would drop his average stint per school to what, 1 school per year? Why was he hired in the first place...his resume was a revolving door. What, no one who knows the area was qualified enough for the job, had to go to Iowa to recruit a coach?

You are worried about a guy that knows the area yet you think Moline is in Iowa?!

Reactions: mc140
Sometimes individuals from smaller metropolitan areas get cold feet when they see how much houses cost in the northern suburbs of Chicago. I don't know if he was originally from the Chicago area.

You don’t think he was looking at housing in the area from the day he got a call offering an interview? If not, you’ve never applied to a job outside your immediate area before. Because most people would be checking out of curiosity the day they decide to apply.

Reactions: Gene K.
Yes
Not sure he is in it for the long haul. Regardless of what is happening it is a poor decision on his part.

I hate to be the skeptic - ok I don’t but are we sure this is all on Morrissey? Was he welcomed you stevenson with open arms?

You don’t think he was looking at housing in the area from the day he got a call offering an interview? If not, you’ve never applied to a job outside your immediate area before. Because most people would be checking out of curiosity the day they decide to apply.
I suppose most people would check out housing before accepting a job. I KNOW firsthand that some people do not. I was a finance director (retired now) of a Chicago suburb who served on hiring panels when department heads were being hired. We once had a candidate from Iowa for public works director that backed out of the job after accepting our offer. And we had two candidates (separate occasions) for our assistant village manager position (one from Texas and one from Wisconsin) back out of jobs after having accepted the offer. In all three cases the individuals stated they had not realized how expensive housing was in the Chicago area. I'm not saying it happens often. I worked for the suburb for 28 years. However, I stand by my statement that it does sometimes happen.

Last edited:
I suppose most people would check out housing before accepting a job. I KNOW firsthand that some people do not. I was a finance director (retired now) of a Chicago suburb who served on hiring panels when department heads were being hired. We once had a candidate from Iowa for public works director that backed out of a job after accepting our offer. And we had two candidates (separate occasions) for our assistant village manager position (one from Texas and one from Wisconsin) back out of jobs after having accepted the offer. In all three cases the individuals stated they had not realized how expensive housing was in the Chicago area. I'm not saying it happens often. I worked for the suburb for 28 years. However, I stand by my statement that it does sometimes happen.

How long ago was this though? I move people countries all of the time and we can ballpark housing internationally as well as domestically in an expedited manner. If this is post 2010 - that is on the employee for applying for a position without doing research on the area. There are numerous websites that make this kind of market research incredibly intuitive now. I've moved 6 times with my company and knew what I was walking into each time, and I've lived in all the states you've mentioned (outside of Wisconsin). All of those moves were within the first 7 years of graduating college, so it wasn't like I had a tremendous amount of experience with renting or house hunting prior as well.

This more likely has to do with an external factor - i.e. wife wasn't happy with the decision, maybe he made it without her input, might be a two bread winner situation where you have to respect both careers, etc. That - or the original school came back with a much higher $ offer.

Reactions: Gene K.
I just realized that this is very similar to the whole Frank Reich and Josh McDaniels chaos with the Colts

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT