ADVERTISEMENT

St. Rita Turns To Remote Learning

I drive by St. Patrick on my way to work. They have a line outside the front doors checking temps of students. So far they've been in school for 4 days.

I wonder if private schools stay remote learning through the year how many of these families will opt for public school and can the public schools handle the influx of students?

I hope not. However, if it only takes 2 positive cases to shut down a school, I dont see how any school is going to stay open.
My kids started out remote, so I haven't spent too much time looking at the guidelines. However, their high school has about 2800 students. Does 2 cases really shut them down? That's 0.0007% of the students.

My kids started out remote, so I haven't spent too much time looking at the guidelines. However, their high school has about 2800 students. Does 2 cases really shut them down? That's 0.0007% of the students.

Not sure, but that is how many cases they had at Rita and they went remote.

Not sure, but that is how many cases they had at Rita and they went remote.
In Rita and Loyola’s situations the ones who were positive traced it back to large gatherings/parties where numerous other students from the school attended so the majority of the students who were there are being quarantined, they don’t necessarily have covid.

Reactions: USD24
I’m taking my kid up to Platteville Thursday. The uncertainty is crazy. Start hybrid but how long does it last? If they go remote do they kick everyone like they did in March or do they stay in the dorms? I feel bad for the kid because he’s not looking forward to it. College is supposed to be some of the best years of your life.

Reactions: Gene K.
I’m taking my kid up to Platteville Thursday. The uncertainty is crazy. Start hybrid but how long does it last? If they go remote do they kick everyone like they did in March or do they stay in the dorms? I feel bad for the kid because he’s not looking forward to it. College is supposed to be some of the best years of your life.

Its kinda crazy at the colleges right now. I have one at Alabama and one at Illinois. Down at Bama, the admim. seems to be in complete panic mode. The whole town is basically on lock down. Thankfully, my daughter is in a condo, so she has some movement. At Illinois, I think they are doing a much better job. Every student is tested 2x a week and receives the results in under 3 hours. They seem to have been much better handle on the testing and how to handle things. Who knows how it will play out, but I really dont see most colleges getting through the semester on campus.

Well if we did have football this fall both Rita and Loyola would of had to forfeit this week.

Its kinda crazy at the colleges right now. I have one at Alabama and one at Illinois. Down at Bama, the admim. seems to be in complete panic mode. The whole town is basically on lock down. Thankfully, my daughter is in a condo, so she has some movement. At Illinois, I think they are doing a much better job. Every student is tested 2x a week and receives the results in under 3 hours. They seem to have been much better handle on the testing and how to handle things. Who knows how it will play out, but I really dont see most colleges getting through the semester on campus.
to be honest, I think Illinois' tests are more reliable and accurate as well.

I think you will see a lot less shut downs now that CDC revised their testing guidelines yesterday, you also will see a lot less positive tests. Also the CDC is encouraging schools not to shut down due to positive Covid cases.

I think you will see a lot less shut downs now that CDC revised their testing guidelines yesterday, you also will see a lot less positive tests. Also the CDC is encouraging schools not to shut down due to positive Covid cases.

My concern is that if only symptomatic people are getting tested the positive rate will go up.

Reactions: USD24
For now, positivity rate is definitely what's driving things. There are multiple "metrics", but getting over 8% for multiple days is the main trigger to increased restrictions.

it seems like they switch up what they use everyday. I thought they shutdown Will County because they were over 8%
Yes...3 consecutive days over 8%. In two weeks, if they are at 6.5% or below for 3 consecutive days, they can revert to phase 4. If they stay as they are now, it will stay as it is, if it worsens, more stringent measures.

To my best understanding, if a county is beyond a target value in any 2 of 8 "metric" categories, a warning is put in place. Will County is beyond target in 3 for the last week: test positivity rate (over 8%), number of new cases per 100000 people (over 50) and deaths (increasing by more than 20% for 2 consecutive weeks).

At another school in the UW system, if your schedule is all remote, you can opt to leave campus with the refund of any dorm or dining hall expenses, but not the room deposit. However, you have no guarantee of the same housing or any upon return for 2nd semester.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT