ADVERTISEMENT

SR-BR - WCIU Game of the Week

DJrodey24

Nov 3, 2003
So while everyone is frothing at the mouth for MC at Loyola, I will get to call the St. Rita-Brother Rice battle with JACK MAC on The U on Friday night. Just so you all know, I will drop in scores of the games of note during the telecast. I'm doing prep with all the stats this week, and I'll watch film.

What will I notice when I watch tape?

Haven't seen either live. Already pretty caught up on BR (LB out, RB pretty good). Still need to dig in on Rita. Share your thoughts if you don't mind.

We'll do this again in November for the postseason and I'll see you all on the pairings show Saturday (pronunciations and local lingo tips welcomed!)

BR:

Yes - their RB (#21 / Navy commit) is the workhorse for the offense behind 5 senior offensive linemen. The left tackle (#71) has some D1 interest.

For better or worse, they play two QBs (#17 passer / #16 runner). More of a game-flow decision.

Defensively, they’ve been stung by injuries. Have been down 4 (?) starters for multiple weeks and are relying on several underclassmen on the DL and secondary.

The kicker has a solid leg and they’ll definitely attempt 40+ yarders if the opportunity is there.

Not necessarily a “big play” team so have to keep it simple: no turnovers, move the chains, flip the field when needed and make the Mustangs earn their points.

We now turn it to @RockSoup to provide SR’s game strategy, detailed injury report and projection on first 5 offensive plays of the game.

What’s Rita injury status? Is QB1 Hilding back? If Rita plays anything like they did against Saint Francis, Brother Rice will be in the playoffs.

I think Loyola does not have lights and is the home team for the big game, so if it is going to be on TV, it would be on Saturday afternoon.
I think we are lucky to get Brother Rice vs. St. Rita as the teams seem fairly evenly matches and Brother Rice is in a must-win to get to the magical 5-win plateau. That, in itself, makes this a bigger game to watch than if both teams were 5-3.
Also, and this is going way off on at tangent, but somebody on this forum seemed to be pushing for the idea of every school playing in the postseason, using Week 9 as the Round of 64 playoff games.
Besides the obvious blatant mismatches and countless running-clock games which can lend themselves to needless player injuries, you are doing two things that aren't particularly good.
1) You suck ALL the drama out of the second half of the season when teams are making a playoff push to five wins. Yes, you still get Loyola vs. Mt. Carmel. But all the drama that makes the sport fun to. follow in October will be lost.
Nazareth Academy's fingers-crossed run each week for the past month hoping they can finish with five wins in a row against mostly difficult competition.
Mundelein kids likely giving 120 percent in practice knowing that their 4-0 start against bottom-feeders still requires. them.to come up huge once in fivetries against a team they basically never beat .
And for Catholic League fans, how much fun will it before a prep football fan to watch on TV Friday to see if Brother Rice can beat St. Rita and get the much-needed fifth win to be playoff eligible.
Without that, there is zero drama for us non-Catholic League followers.
It's like. in college football, with the four-team playoff setup, it's fun to watch Oregon vs. Washington or Penn State vs. Ohio State. Even though fans have zero rooting interest in any of the teams, there is something at stake.
Auburn vs. Mississippi State might be a tossup game in the SEC between two above-average teams, but with nothing big at stake, it lacks drama.
2) The 9th regular season game that will be eliminated will be a non-conference game, not a conference game. So in an 8-team league with 7 league games and 2 non-league games of choice, one of the two will be gone.
This year, for example, Warren, which opened its season with 2 quality non-conf. games vs. Barrington and Maine South. One of those games would be axed and replaced by a week 9 playoff game against ...... Waukegan? Zion-Benton? Round Lake?
You get the idea.

I think Loyola does not have lights and is the home team for the big game, so if it is going to be on TV, it would be on Saturday afternoon.
I think we are lucky to get Brother Rice vs. St. Rita as the teams seem fairly evenly matches and Brother Rice is in a must-win to get to the magical 5-win plateau. That, in itself, makes this a bigger game to watch than if both teams were 5-3.
Also, and this is going way off on at tangent, but somebody on this forum seemed to be pushing for the idea of every school playing in the postseason, using Week 9 as the Round of 64 playoff games.
Besides the obvious blatant mismatches and countless running-clock games which can lend themselves to needless player injuries, you are doing two things that aren't particularly good.
1) You suck ALL the drama out of the second half of the season when teams are making a playoff push to five wins. Yes, you still get Loyola vs. Mt. Carmel. But all the drama that makes the sport fun to. follow in October will be lost.
Nazareth Academy's fingers-crossed run each week for the past month hoping they can finish with five wins in a row against mostly difficult competition.
Mundelein kids likely giving 120 percent in practice knowing that their 4-0 start against bottom-feeders still requires. them.to come up huge once in fivetries against a team they basically never beat .
And for Catholic League fans, how much fun will it before a prep football fan to watch on TV Friday to see if Brother Rice can beat St. Rita and get the much-needed fifth win to be playoff eligible.
Without that, there is zero drama for us non-Catholic League followers.
It's like. in college football, with the four-team playoff setup, it's fun to watch Oregon vs. Washington or Penn State vs. Ohio State. Even though fans have zero rooting interest in any of the teams, there is something at stake.
Auburn vs. Mississippi State might be a tossup game in the SEC between two above-average teams, but with nothing big at stake, it lacks drama.
2) The 9th regular season game that will be eliminated will be a non-conference game, not a conference game. So in an 8-team league with 7 league games and 2 non-league games of choice, one of the two will be gone.
This year, for example, Warren, which opened its season with 2 quality non-conf. games vs. Barrington and Maine South. One of those games would be axed and replaced by a week 9 playoff game against ...... Waukegan? Zion-Benton? Round Lake?
You get the idea.
Yes.

BR:

Yes - their RB (#21 / Navy commit) is the workhorse for the offense behind 5 senior offensive linemen. The left tackle (#71) has some D1 interest.

For better or worse, they play two QBs (#17 passer / #16 runner). More of a game-flow decision.

Defensively, they’ve been stung by injuries. Have been down 4 (?) starters for multiple weeks and are relying on several underclassmen on the DL and secondary.

The kicker has a solid leg and they’ll definitely attempt 40+ yarders if the opportunity is there.

Not necessarily a “big play” team so have to keep it simple: no turnovers, move the chains, flip the field when needed and make the Mustangs earn their points.

We now turn it to @RockSoup to provide SR’s game strategy, detailed injury report and projection on first 5 offensive plays of the game.
Currently monitoring 5 area hospitals, checking in on the Mustang starting 22 injury statuses. Report forthcoming. On a side note, if any incoming 8th graders are available to suit up, I will email you a permission slip.😂

Edit: added a smiley face. Remembered tomorrow is parish bunco night. Had to add a sarcasm tag😂

Last edited:
@3OrangeWhips , sorry for my late reply, waited for the staff to fall asleep. Grabbed some papers off Coach Hopkins’ desk. Alright, lemme see here what’s on these sheets: Security Bulletin: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY KEEP ROCKSOUP OFF CAMPUS AND AWAY FROM FOOTBALL STAFF. Subject can be easily mistaken for Fight Club Brad Pitt, subject thinks he’s funny and a know-it-all on The (redacted) HS Football message board.

Jeez, harsh, but I bet that Brad Pitt guy is happy being compared to me.

Anywho, I had 28-24 or 21-19 for this one and out of curiosity checked calpreps and they have it SR 20-19 at a neutral site. But this one’s on the road so pure toss up.

I could have copied and pasted your analysis of the Crusader defense for the Mustangs. There could be at times up to 8 underclassmen out there and if the Senior LB is out 4 of the defenders would be Sophs with a couple in the front 4 rotation.

Offensively, it’s been tough sledding. Losing a two year starter at QB to injury and 4 offensive lineman to graduation with a couple this year to injury, will lead to that. Nothing has clicked consistently. If the passes are decent, there’s drops, if there’s WRs open, it’s an errant pass. When it all hooks up, it looks promising but doesn’t hook up enough to make D coordinators lose sleep. Like the D, there will be formations that have 7 or 8 underclassmen out there. DJ and Jett are really the only senior ball handlers when they are available.

Special teams has come along nicely. FGs are solid 39 in, punts have been booming lately, coverage above average.

I think St. Rita fans are in the same boat as the Br. Rice fans, not being able to rely on one facet of the game, it’s going to be about, like you said, who makes the less turnovers, penalties, mistakes and who can flip the field and put points on the board when the situation presents itself.

I’m looking forward to a great game. Time to get @Wittymoniker1 upset, but I think if medical clears them, they are playing. I don’t think the St. Rita staff or fans are wired any other way (except for Witty😂) but like, oh there’s a football game Friday night, and it’s against Brother Rice and it’s at Brother Rice. Heck yeah boys, we ride, hair on fire into the house 3ow built and violently collide for 2 and 1/2 hours and sort it out later. What a great game we will be treated to Friday night.

@3OrangeWhips , sorry for my late reply, waited for the staff to fall asleep. Grabbed some papers off Coach Hopkins’ desk. Alright, lemme see here what’s on these sheets: Security Bulletin: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY KEEP ROCKSOUP OFF CAMPUS AND AWAY FROM FOOTBALL STAFF. Subject can be easily mistaken for Fight Club Brad Pitt, subject thinks he’s funny and a know-it-all on The (redacted) HS Football message board.

Anywho, I had 28-24 or 21-19 for this one and out of curiosity checked calpreps and they have it SR 20-19 at a neutral site. But this one’s on the road so pure toss up.

I could have copied and pasted your analysis of the Crusader defense for the Mustangs. There could be at times up to 8 underclassmen out there and if the Senior LB is out 4 of the defenders would be Sophs with a couple in the front 4 rotation.

Offensively, it’s been tough sledding. Losing a two year starter at QB to injury and 4 offensive lineman to graduation with a couple this year to injury, will lead to that. Nothing has clicked consistently. If the passes are decent, there’s drops, if there’s WRs open, it’s an errant pass. When it all hooks up, it looks promising but doesn’t hook up enough to make D coordinators lose sleep. Like the D, there will be formations that have 7 or 8 underclassmen out there. DJ and Jett are really the only senior ball handlers when they are available.

Special teams has come along nicely. FGs are solid 39 in, punts have been booming lately, coverage above average.

I think St. Rita fans are in the same boat as the Br. Rice fans, not being able to rely on one facet of the game, it’s going to be about, like you said, who makes the less turnovers, penalties, mistakes and who can flip the field and put points on the board when the situation presents itself.

I’m looking forward to a great game. Time to get @Wittymoniker1 upset, but I think if medical clears them, they are playing. I don’t think the St. Rita staff or fans are wired any other way (except for Witty😂) but like, oh there’s a football game Friday night, and it’s against Brother Rice and it’s at Brother Rice. Heck yeah boys, we ride, hair on fire into the house 3ow built and violently collide for 2 and 1/2 hours and sort it out later. What a great game we will be treated to Friday night.
Well done! Lmao

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup

Question? How does St. Rita play this? Do they go all out and play this like it’s do or die? Or do they play to win but hold out everyone that is dinged up? Do they let Rice back into the playoffs?

Does QB1 and the big DE play? How many OL are out?

Does BR make it into the playoffs as 4-5 with all those playoff points? Is this their Superbowl? How many of their kids are hurt? Do they all play?

I know it sounds like I’m an odds maker in Vegas. Just looking for the inside scoop.

Question? How does St. Rita play this? Do they go all out and play this like it’s do or die? Or do they play to win but hold out everyone that is dinged up? Do they let Rice back into the playoffs?

Does BR make it into the playoffs as 4-5 with all those playoff points? Is this their Superbowl? How many of their kids are hurt? Do they all play?

I know it sounds like I’m an odds maker in Vegas. Just looking for the inside scoop.
I have no scoop. And I’m not playing coy. And it wouldn’t matter if I was because Brother Rice will prepare for the best 11 on both sides of the ball. I can guarantee you they’re not playing guessing games. They probably have Jett film and Soph QB film, Edge Saffold film and non-Saffold personnel film. I’ve been around enough teams that I know a season ender even if it didn’t look like it during the game like SR WR Colin Lynch’s injury during MC game. I didn’t know about it that night but everyone knew by the next morning and none of the other injuries were like that, where you couldn’t control the news. And I’d say which offensive lineman if I knew because I try to keep the numbers straight but I know I’d get the names wrong.

Like I said above, if medical clears any of the players that have missed time for St. Rita, I would think they are going to play. I would hope there is zero thought about the playoffs. Their offense is too inconsistent to do any damage in the playoffs so full speed action with the best 11 available against excellent competition in a hostile environment is the only way to prepare adequately for the playoffs. And I know people will disagree with going that route but dang it, there’s football to be played, and football players and football teams play football. Others can play chess.

Last edited:

I have no scoop. And I’m not playing coy. And it wouldn’t matter if I was because Brother Rice will prepare for the best 11 on both sides of the ball. I can guarantee you they’re not playing guessing games. They probably have Jett film and Soph QB film, Edge Saffold film and non-Saffold personnel film. I’ve been around enough teams that I know a season ender even if it didn’t look like it during the game like SR WR Colin Lynch’s injury during JCA game. I didn’t know about it that night but everyone knew by the next morning and none of the other injuries were like that, where you couldn’t control the news. And I’d say which offensive lineman if I knew because I try to keep the numbers straight and wouldn’t want to say the wrong names.

Like I said above, if medical clears any of the players that have missed time for St. Rita, I would think they are going to play. I would hope there is zero thought about the playoffs. Their offense is too inconsistent to do any damage in the playoffs so full speed action with the best 11 available against excellent competition in a hostile environment is the only way to prepare adequately for the playoffs. And I know people will disagree with going that route but dang it, there’s football to be played, and football players and football teams play football. Others can play chess.
I think St. Rita plays to win like it’s a playoff game. If kids are hurt their out. This is where sometimes you have to protect a kid from a bad choice. If a player is injured and can play but there is a chance he could do more damage he out as far as I’m concerned. But this is the time of year when a lot of players have nagging injuries. Ankles on OL are very common this time of the year. Playing thru pain is part of football. But I'd error on the side of caution.

I think St. Rita plays to win like it’s a playoff game. If kids are hurt their out. This is where sometimes you have to protect a kid from a bad choice. If a player is injured and can play but there is a chance he could do more damage he out as far as I’m concerned. But this is the time of year when a lot of players have nagging injuries. Ankles on OL are very common this time of the year. Playing thru pain is part of football. But I'd error on the side of caution.
Dang it, where’s the like button for 90% of this. I was about to pound the like but then saw the last sentence. It’s Brother Rice week. Caution ain’t invited.

Come on now, no guts no glory baby!!

• Love
Reactions: RockSoup
Dang it, where’s the like button for 90% of this. I was about to pound the like but then saw the last sentence. It’s Brother Rice week. Caution ain’t invited.
This was the 1st game I watched all season because it was on TV. The SR QB looked good until he got hurt. But he didn't play defense. The DE played something like 4 plays?

I know it's Saturday morning QB-ing the right call was to sit the QB. If he can't play next week it's a early exit to the playoffs.

This was the 1st game I watched all season because it was on TV. The SR QB looked good until he got hurt. But he didn't play defense. The DE played something like 4 plays?

I know it's Saturday morning QB-ing the right call was to sit the QB. If he can't play next week it's a early exit to the playoffs.
I do not believe that is correct but let’s see how the draw plays out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT