ADVERTISEMENT

So What Happens to a School's Offers?

emdee91

Gold Member
May 26, 2015
Braidwood
So I have a general question, maybe someone her can shed some light on.

So, take a kid like Houston, for example. Houston has somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 division one scholarship offers. He can obviously only go to one of these schools that have offered. So my question is, what happens to the offers from all of the other schools? Do they lose them? Do they get reallocated? Just a question that I have been wondering for a little while now.

You can offer as many kids as you want. You can only have 85 kids on scholarship at one time on the d1 level and you can only take a maximum of 25 kids per class.

Reactions: bronco man
Some schools offer 500 kids and would not even accept commitments from over half of them.

So I have a general question, maybe someone her can shed some light on.

So, take a kid like Houston, for example. Houston has somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 division one scholarship offers. He can obviously only go to one of these schools that have offered. So my question is, what happens to the offers from all of the other schools? Do they lose them? Do they get reallocated? Just a question that I have been wondering for a little while now.

I am not in the total know but here is what my understanding is:

They have “a board”. Kinda like an NFL draft board. They rank all their prospects by position. As guys go elsewhere kids on the bord move up etc etc.

As all the Power 5 spots fill up - the FCS boards start rolling etc etc and then on down to DII.

Most kids by now know what schools they are “on the board” at. Some weird stuff happens though. I have heard of some Ivies offer kids in March after signing day (all the kids on their board for a certain position went FBS or scholarship FCS). Think it was Brown University - but can’t remember exactly.

Most kids by now know what schools they are “on the board” at. Some weird stuff happens though. I have heard of some Ivies offer kids in March after signing day (all the kids on their board for a certain position went FBS or scholarship FCS). Think it was Brown University - but can’t remember exactly.

Apparently some of those kids were not Brown material.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Apparently some of those kids were not Brown material.

Lol. Yes from their point of view I’m sure!! From the rest of the universe - I think it was the other way around. All the kids Brown wanted went everywhere else and some lucky kid got into Brown via his Football “prowess” ;) Hey - good for him! I remember back in the 1980’s when Brown went winless for two years straight! But - a great education!!

Edit. It was 1991 and 1992. 0-9-1 and 1-9. So they did win one game in a two year span! Much better now though! They went 2-8 I think this year?

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
A lot of schools will had out offers to recruits just to get there name attached to that player and knowing they won't get that kid but want the attention that it will create with an offer. Other times a team will offer only if the recruit will commit. Happened to our on a few occasions

If interested look up Parker Boudreaux 2016 class out of Flordia, kid had 70 offers went to ND and transferred to Central Florida this past summer. Great example of band wagon offers.

If a kid is a 4 or 5 star, they can go to whatever school they want. The verbal offers are only good for social media. You will know if they are totally interested by the way they keep in contact after the offer.

offer stands until a player verbally committs somewhere, some programs will back off while others will make the push until those papers are signed. i'm sure coaches follow social media and saw that the MC/IMG connection reopened the process

Offers do not mean anything other than a team is interested in you. The team can rescind the offer at ANY time, especially once they have the number of commits they have allocated for (you snooze you lose). A verbal commit carries more weight but nothing is binding for either party until the player signs.

Offers do not mean anything other than a team is interested in you. The team can rescind the offer at ANY time, especially once they have the number of commits they have allocated for (you snooze you lose). A verbal commit carries more weight but nothing is binding for either party until the player signs.
It does mean if you're a senior and don't have one by now it's time to start looking D2

If you think it's time to start "looking" into D2.....too late. More like NAIA/D3
It is amazing how fast the recruiting landscape has changed in 5 years. Several years ago fcs schools were setting up official visits in December for January visits.

Houston Griffith and Verdis Brown, MC's 2 IMG transfers, just decommited from FSU...assuming it was because Fisher left

Edgy,

Do you think this is more regional re D2? Seems the PSAC schools are just really starting over this way. I know several didn't even make offers last year till late January and even well into March and April. With the December signing period this year how much is that adding to the accelerated schedule?

If you think it's time to start "looking" into D2.....too late. More like NAIA/D3

We still have D2 schools coming in to recruit. They are looking for specific need positions. According to the coaches I have talked to the early signing period has made Div II recruiting more volatile this year.

To show you how meaningless the "interest" and offers are, I will give you my example...1985, my senior year...back then you got mailboxes full of introductory materials from schools who might be interested in you academically by checking a box allowing your ACT/SAT scores to be sent to schools "who might meet your educational level"...I must of gotten 200+ of the intro brochures from D3 or NAIA schools....If you filled out the postage prepaid card in the back of the brochure, they'd send you catalogs, more brochures, and send info to any programs you might be interested in...including athletics...

So I was a valedictorian of my class...30 ACT...I checked football and basketball as athletic interests...My high school didn't play football...I set school records for fewest points and rebounds in a season in basketball (zero for both) on a 2 win team as a junior...But I was 6'2", 220...I led the class in athletic visit offers (and I had 5 classmates who got girls volleyball scholarships, a teammate who got a hoops ride, and one who got a track/cc ride). I had schools specifically send admissions counselors to meet with me, bringing full athletic information questionaires...The valedictorian the year after me, who was an all-state basketball player with 1100+ career points and shooting 84% on free throws, got about the same number of visit offers...but nobody laughed about all his letters...lol

Moral of the story: getting a letter means someone told them you play a sport. Getting an offer means they actually think you could play there. Taking a visit means that you have put them in the top 5 or so of choices...Accepting a verbal offer means you are right now prepared to commit, but they don't have to accept and you can change your mind...and it keeps going...

Reactions: emdee91
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT