ADVERTISEMENT

So what are some of the biggest HS rivalry games?

For pure genuine dislike accompanied by a lot of jawing back and forth in every sport, but, especially FB over the past 6 years Naz/Benet. Really was not much before that and not as epic as some of the past CCL stuff, but, its one now.
Find that interesting. Seems like a natural rivalry. I've read on here that the Benet basketball coach was originally at Naz, which has contributed to the rivalry.

Reactions: jwarigaku
Back in the day Reavis vs Richards & Reavis vs Sandburg was very big.Most times Reavis vs Sandburg winner went to the playoffs and loser stayed home despite a super season.Gary Korhonen hated the Rams & lost to them twice in 1980 including the playoffs.The last year Reavis beat them 15 to 14 which was 1985 I believe,Gary walked off & did not shake hands.He showed up at the Rams practice that following Monday after it was over & addressed the team with class.They all lined up & he shook all the coaches & players hands from Reavis.

Ikehammer
Was at everyone of those games, what a great rivalry, wasn't sorry that MCC went to the ESSC. Two plus hours driving for a Friday night game is something I will never miss.
I thought the best game was the game at Elmhurst College in the playoffs. Bryan Bulaga had a bye week and coached MCC that week. We got lucky on a interception late in the game when MCC was driving and looking to tie the game, and the rest was history.

LT HC is about as big as it gets. LT DGN used to be pretty big as well. RB NAZ was a big one for about 20 years. RB stopped playing Naz I think two years ago.(I think RB coach needs to get Naz back on the schedule) LT Naz could be a great one if they started playing. I imagine the crowds for those games would be just huge.
LT will never play Naz and I doubt seriously that Racki/Curtin would renew the RB/Naz rivalry, they seem to have too much respect for each other.

I would love Fenwick/Naz to play but that's a discussion for another day, maybe soon.

Speaking of Fenwick do you guys remember the battles they had with OPRF both on the field & in the stands? That is why the series ended :( I also recall before it got uncompetitive TF North & TF South on & off the field was good.Rich Central vs Rich South,Hillcrest or HF were bad as was Hillcrest vs HF & Rich East vs Rich South.The old Joliet East/Joliet Central,Kankakee Eastridge/Kankakee Westview,Bloom/Bloom Trail were great too!!! Miss the competitive rivalry though for a short time between Joliet Catholic/St.Laurence

Last edited:
Speaking of Fenwick do you guys remember the battles they had with OPRF both on the field & in the stands? That is why the series ended :( I also recall before it got uncompetitive TF North & TF South on & off the field was good.Rich Central vs Rich South,Hillcrest or HF were bad as was Hillcrest vs HF & Rich East vs Rich South.The old Joliet East/Joliet Central,Kankakee Eastridge/Kamkakee Westview,Bloom/Bloom Trail were great too!!! Miss the competitive rivalry though for a short time between Joliet Catholic/St.Laurence
I have told that OPRF and Fenwick may look to renew things, I know OPRF is all for it but word on the street is that Fenwick needed to talk through some of the security issues etc. It has the potential to be a fun rivalry but they need to ensure it doesn't get out of hand again.

Back in the day Reavis vs Richards & Reavis vs Sandburg was very big.Most times Reavis vs Sandburg winner went to the playoffs and loser stayed home despite a super season.Gary Korhonen hated the Rams & lost to them twice in 1980 including the playoffs.The last year Reavis beat them 15 to 14 which was 1985 I believe,Gary walked off & did not shake hands.He showed up at the Rams practice that following Monday after it was over & addressed the team with class.They all lined up & he shook all the coaches & players hands from Reavis.
Good old SICA North!

Reactions: chitownace777
Ikehammer
Was at everyone of those games, what a great rivalry, wasn't sorry that MCC went to the ESSC. Two plus hours driving for a Friday night game is something I will never miss.
I thought the best game was the game at Elmhurst College in the playoffs. Bryan Bulaga had a bye week and coached MCC that week. We got lucky on a interception late in the game when MCC was driving and looking to tie the game, and the rest was history.
MCC had 30 more offensive plays and over 100 more yards then Montini in that game, just couldn't win on the scoreboard Very Heart Breaking!

Talk about getting your head out over your skis a little!!! Easily?
It's a really fun atmosphere, more inside sports where the noise has more of an effect. That game was the first thing that popped into my head and I don't like either school. For me though what's more troubling is the fact that he called both programs "powerhouses". I guess we just throw that term around loosely nowadays.

Also he deleted it but little does he know due to being quoted his post won't die. #powerhouses

Last edited:
Reactions: Crispy Linnetta
MCC had 30 more offensive plays and over 100 more yards then Montini in that game, just couldn't win on the scoreboard Very Heart Breaking!

Trust me Bronco man, MR. T and I remember all too well that game at Elmhurst college...

2012 hurt, a lot of talent and team speed, but mostly just a great group of men, just weren't the best team on that day...still worth all the time and hard work that came with it.

On a positive note I found something interesting, on youtube I found another quarterfinal Montini vs Marian game from back in 95, I believe, during the Liska years. Cool to see how these matchups have lasted over time.

Still upset that these hurricanes don't ever get to play in that Montini match up anymore.

And with regard to the corpse of CPS football, their whole conference-division deployment and scheduling is built around preventing Simeon and Morgan Park from playing each other, mostly for extracurricular reasons. Those are about the only 2 that are close enough in proximity and football tradition to rate being a rivalry (Curie v.Bogan in the 80s maybe).

East Aurora vs West Aurora

SHG vs Rochester

JCA vs Morris

Montini vs Driscoll was my favorite

Reactions: NNFAN
Trust me Bronco man, MR. T and I remember all too well that game at Elmhurst college...

2012 hurt, a lot of talent and team speed, but mostly just a great group of men, just weren't the best team on that day...still worth all the time and hard work that came with it.

On a positive note I found something interesting, on youtube I found another quarterfinal Montini vs Marian game from back in 95, I believe, during the Liska years. Cool to see how these matchups have lasted over time.

Still upset that these hurricanes don't ever get to play in that Montini match up anymore.
I was at that game as well. If I remember correctly MCC had the game controlled but the westercamp basically took over.

I think the best rivalry game I've been to was neaqua vs Waubonsie at north central college. That was an awesome atmosphere.

I was at that game as well. If I remember correctly MCC had the game controlled but the westercamp basically took over.
In 2012 Jourdan was in Nebraska! It was 2011 where he took over with the help of John's arm, stretching the field! Something they couldn't do during the regular season game that year because John was injured! It was #2 that we couldn't account for on the read option in 2012!:( Sorry about bringing that one up Hammer, just had to clear up the confusion! I believe deep down #15 (#5), is still playing that game with every throw and run he makes now!

In 2012 Jourdan was in Nebraska! It was 2011 where he took over with the help of John's arm, stretching the field! Something they couldn't do during the regular season game that year because John was injured! It was #2 that we couldn't account for on the read option in 2012!:( Sorry about bringing that one up Hammer, just had to clear up the confusion! I believe deep down #15 (#5), is still playing that game with every throw and run he makes now!
Ah Giorgianis running wild cat right ?

Cary vs Prairie Ridge has to one of the biggest in the past 10 years.

Between them in that time-
3 State Championships, (Cary1,PR2)
2 Runner ups (Cary 2)
4 semi-finals (Cary 1, PR 3)

Not to mention these kids all play each other since they are 7/8 in their TCYFL feeder programs (Jr Trojans vs Jr Wolves)

Reactions: Coachbell88
Sterling vs Geneseo
52nd edition of the rivalry kicks off tonight in Sterling

It's a really fun atmosphere, more inside sports where the noise has more of an effect. That game was the first thing that popped into my head and I don't like either school. For me though what's more troubling is the fact that he called both programs "powerhouses". I guess we just throw that term around loosely nowadays.

Also he deleted it but little does he know due to being quoted his post won't die. #powerhouses
You have me curious now what do you have against LT?

Don't like either school but LT/HC is the best I've been too. Maybe not the same product on the field historically but in every sport those fanbases get after it. Naz/Benet is a solid newer one similar to LT/HC.

I third LT vs Hinsdale Central.

You have me curious now what do you have against LT?
Good school, ok program. Lots of great kids there but also lots of people I encounter that think their football program is much better than it is. Also to be blunt after a few pops their Head Coach is an asshole.

I'd love to get this Andrew v 'Brook going again. Can't think of a school that needs a beating more than VJA.

After that it used to be LWE for us as we had no natural rivals, while theirs was LWC. Now it's H-F due to the Vikings swagger jacking our whole style. They deserve some beatings for that.

Reactions: Gene K.
I'd love to get this Andrew v 'Brook going again. Can't think of a school that needs a beating more than VJA.
The current enrollment differential of +1300 for Bolingbrook could affect the competitiveness of this former rivalry.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT