ADVERTISEMENT

So what are some of the biggest HS rivalry games?

MS vs. NT although not much of a rivalry until NT won last year.

MS vs. LWE could start to become one. Although different from the NT rivalry where there is more respect than hate.

If you are talking football rivalries only, then I would say Loyola vs. MS has turned into a pretty good one in recent years. If you are talking overall, I would say Loyola's biggest rival would have to be New Trier.

A different tweak of your question would be what are the rivalries that should be but aren't? For Loyola, that would be LA vs nearby Catholic and public schools like ND, Viator, and GBS.

Loyola used to have a huge rivalry with Gordon Tech back when both schools were boys only and both schools marketed themselves to the same northside city kids. Today, both schools are coed and both schools still promote themselves to the same northside city kids, but Gordon became DePaul Prep and is about one-fifth of the size as it used to be as an all boys school. That rivalry is definitely a thing of the past.

Another interesting tweak of the question would be what school(s) consider(s) your school to be their main rival, but the feeling isn't mutual? In Loyola's case, I think that Ignatius looks at Loyola as their big rival, while New Trier fills that role for Loyola. Interestingly, New Trier's biggest rival for all sports has historically been Evanston. Not sure if Loyola has replaced ETHS as NT's current top rival.

Last edited:
A classic used to be montini vs. Driscoll. Those were always great games.

Other that come to mind:
Palatine Vs Fremd
Rita vs MC
Pats vs. ND
Marmion VS ACC used to be a good one too.

Reactions: lkhammer57
Lemont/Richards has been a big one for more than a decade:
  • as perennial leaders in their respective divisions of the South Suburban Conference, they meet almost annually in a cross-over with rankings on the line
  • frequently they draw each other in early rounds of the 6A playoffs.

For all sports (and everything else under the sun for which the schools can compare themselves), ND and St. Pats.

Reactions: johnjoe45
Don't like either school but LT/HC is the best I've been too. Maybe not the same product on the field historically but in every sport those fanbases get after it. Naz/Benet is a solid newer one similar to LT/HC.

Mount Carmel vs. Joliet Catholic
Evanston vs. New Trier
East St. Louis vs. Belleville
Downers Grove South vs. Downers Grove North
Normal Community vs. Bloomington
Chicago Mount Carmel vs. Chicago St. Rita
Hyde Park vs. Englewood

Glenbard West WWS used to be a great one. Also Lyons Township vs Hinsdale Central

I would bet that in 5-7 years WWS and GBW will start playing again, being forced to drop the series due to the new DVC never sat well with anyone at WWS. They played for close to 100 years, perfect way to open the season.

Reactions: jlarrison
Gotta go with Swagger High - Hollywood

As far as NT goes... they are on the Stark list for the Hawks, but not really a rival in my mind.

Reactions: Cross Bones
In central IL, class 3A you have Tolono Unity vs St. Joe Ogden, the 50/50 typically raises over $5000. Both towns pretty much attend this one, meaning practically everyone. Also Tolono Unity vs Monticello is just a hair below that one.

Reactions: Gene K.
Spalding Institute vs. Bergan

These were the two Catholic high schools in Peoria before they merged in 1988 to become Peoria Notre Dame. The Rivalry began in 1964 when Bergan opened to accommodate the surge of Baby Boomers. Albeit short lived (24 years), the rivalry was a "cross town" matchup between the two catholic schools everyone looked forward to.

Reactions: NNFAN
s-l500.jpg

Reactions: DigitalCy
Guerin
From my era, Pats, Holy Cross, the battle of Belmont Ave.

Been a long time since they've played. I think the last time was 2001, which they actually played twice. Lost in week 2, but HC got revenge in the Prep Bowl playoffs beating Pats.

MCHS vs Naz the rivalry that never was but talked about and hoped for a decade...maybe this year

A short lived one was Libertyville vs. Carmel. They are within walking distance, in fact the one time they met in the playoffs the Carmel team walked the North Shore bike trail to LHS. They had a three year non-conf thing going, awhile back, too bad it didn't continue.

Legend has it that priests got in a fight over a MC vs. JCA game, so that's tough to top.

MCHS vs Naz the rivalry that never was but talked about and hoped for a decade...maybe this year
I feel like that ship has sailed. Would've been great 4-5 years ago. Seems like the fans don't even talk about it anymore.

LT HC is about as big as it gets. LT DGN used to be pretty big as well. RB NAZ was a big one for about 20 years. RB stopped playing Naz I think two years ago.(I think RB coach needs to get Naz back on the schedule) LT Naz could be a great one if they started playing. I imagine the crowds for those games would be just huge.

Reactions: Gene K.
One that maybe isn't the biggest but was an interesting one to watch was Marian Central Catholic vs Montini, it would surprise me if any two schools have played each other more over 6 year time span. Lets start in '06 the canes beat Montini in both the regular season and first round of the playoffs I believe, '07 Montini beats Marian in the regular season and the Canes beat Montini in Lombard in the quarterfinals (never will forget that one seeing two bronco players coming after star QB Jon Budmayr after a PAT towards the end of the game) '08 just one meeting between the two schools as the Canes failed to make the playoffs after losing Budmayr for the season in the first game against North Chicago. '09 the canes came to Lombard and beat Montini on their homecoming and then Montini came back to beat the canes in the second round of the playoffs (start of the 4 peat). '10 Broncos come to Woodstock and Westerkamp sets single game receiving records in a beat down on the Canes, and the two would meet in the Quarterfinals at Elmhurst College which ended up being a great battle and a great game to be apart of but the Broncos moved on to their second State Championship. '11 two of top 4 5a teams met in Woodstock as Marian pulled off the upset (while Montini QB Rhode was out) on homecoming, and the two teams would meet again in the Quarterfinals in Lombard, where the Broncos flexed their muscles and rolled past the Canes. '12 The Canes beat the Broncos in fairly respectable fashion in Woodstock, showing that this Canes team may be the team to end the Montini dynasty and be the first MCC team to go back to state since '06 as they rose to being the top 5a school that season, yet again the Canes met the Broncos in the Quarterfinals again, this time in Woodstock, when the canes cruised out to a quick 2 touchdown lead, just to find themselves tied at 21 at half and then see the Broncos Wildcat offense take control and move on to the final ring in the 4 peat. I know Montini people had bigger rivalries with other schools but this game was always a big deal in Woodstock and in 6 years the two schools have played each other 11 times. I would be curious to see how many other schools have played that many times in that short of a time period.

Also another rivalry is pretty much the McHenry County public schools vs. MCC but there haven't been too many matchups in football over the past few years

Last edited:
One that maybe isn't the biggest but was an interesting one to watch was Marian Central Catholic vs Montini, it would surprise me if any two schools have played each other more over 6 year time span. Lets start in '06 the canes beat Montini in both the regular season and first round of the playoffs I believe, '07 Montini beats Marian in the regular season and the Canes beat Montini in Lombard in the quarterfinals (never will forget that one seeing two bronco players coming after star QB Jon Budmayr after a PAT towards the end of the game) '08 just one meeting between the two schools as the Canes failed to make the playoffs after losing Budmayr for the season in the first game against North Chicago. '09 the canes came to Lombard and beat Montini on their homecoming and then Montini came back to beat the canes in the second round of the playoffs (start of the 4 peat). '10 Broncos come to Woodstock and Westerkamp sets single game receiving records in a beat down on the Canes, and the two would meet in the Quarterfinals at Elmhurst College which ended up being a great battle and a great game to be apart of but the Broncos moved on to their second State Championship. '11 two of top 4 5a teams met in Woodstock as Marian pulled off the upset (while Montini QB Rhode was out) on homecoming, and the two teams would meet again in the Quarterfinals in Lombard, where the Broncos flexed their muscles and rolled past the Canes. '12 The Canes beat the Broncos in fairly respectable fashion in Woodstock, showing that this Canes team may be the team to end the Montini dynasty and be the first MCC team to go back to state since '06 as they rose to being the top 5a school that season, yet again the Canes met the Broncos in the Quarterfinals again, this time in Woodstock, when the canes cruised out to a quick 2 touchdown lead, just to find themselves tied at 21 at half and then see the Broncos Wildcat offense take control and move on to the final ring in the 4 peat. I know Montini people had bigger rivalries with other schools but this game was always a big deal in Woodstock and in 6 years the two schools have played each other 11 times. I would be curious to see how many other schools have played that many times in that short of a time period.

Also another rivalry is pretty much the McHenry County public schools vs. MCC but there haven't been too many matchups in football over the past few years

Great post. Those two had some epic battles. I also remember Naz struggling to beat MCC(damn MCC refs) as well with LaSteven McKinney and Mike Williams.

Little known fact Naz fans, both of those guys almost went to IC. I remember both saying after an IC win(over MCC I think) that they were coming but Racki ended up winning them over.

For pure genuine dislike accompanied by a lot of jawing back and forth in every sport, but, especially FB over the past 6 years Naz/Benet. Really was not much before that and not as epic as some of the past CCL stuff, but, its one now.

ADVERTISEMENT