ADVERTISEMENT

Simeon Sues

Wow. On many levels.

Quick question unrelated to this mess:
Why would the Dad be dressed in his ref uniform at the game if he wasn’t part of the crew calling the game? There was no Soph game to ref before Varsity since it was a playoff game. Did he come directly from reffing a different earlier game or something so he could watch his kid play?

Question somewhat related to this mess:
Please tell me that Refs aren’t reffing their family members games. Is it honor code or a formal rule in place?

Simeon.How Many Kids go there who shouldn’t let alone get relaxed academic rules? In basketball & football.Many I bet.Crybabies.They blew it not the refs.The Same ending happened in the Reavis vs Eisenhower game

Wow. On many levels.

Why would the Dad be dressed in his ref uniform at the game if he wasn’t part of the crew calling the game? There was no Soph game to ref before Varsity since it was a playoff game. Did he come directly from reffing a different earlier game or something so he could watch his kid play?

Please tell me that Refs aren’t reffing their family members games. Is it honor code or a formal rule in place?

He was not reffing the game. I believe he came straight from a youth game he was reffing.

Don't remember what year, but JCA played Morris in the championship, JCA won. There was controversy coming out of Morris that one of the Refs was a JCA Grad, which turned out to be true.

But then they found out / realized the the very same Ref was also the Uncle of Morris star RB or QB. :D

His last name was Curran, can't remember the 1st name. (the Ref)

Reactions: Gene K.
He was not reffing the game. I believe he came straight from a youth game he was reffing.

Ok thanks that makes sense.

Any refs out there? What’s the rulebook say on refs calling family members games? Is it prohibited? Is it on the honor rule only or is there a process in place to ensure it doesn’t happen?

Why is a parent on the sideline? Naz should have had someone monitor the sideline and throw this guy out. He had no bearing on the game but this guy is clearly an idiot and has caused a major distraction.

Dear Lord.....waste of time. What are they looking for as far as compensation??? I admit I stopped reading the article because it was stupid. Are they looking for a court ordered apology?

Dear Lord.....waste of time. What are they looking for as far as compensation??? I admit I stopped reading the article because it was stupid. Are they looking for a court ordered apology?

I think they are looking for the Naz win over simieon to be vacated after the fact (a la USC with Bush) and also to implement a lifetime ban of the Dad/Ref.

After next week’s game the case will be moot in terms of vacating the Naz win is my guess. However, if they have the money and energy to continue the case onwards,.they might be able to get the Dad/ref banned. Or the IHSA could concede to that to end the suit.

Reactions: Schwab54
Any refs out there? What’s the rulebook say on refs calling family members games? Is it prohibited? Is it on the honor rule only or is there a process in place to ensure it doesn’t happen?

You’re supposed to reveal any ties you have to a program. Not sure why you’d want your hand in any game where people know who you are anyways. I’ve done my hs and it’s more annoying cuz instead of hey ref they are yelling your name for everything. And then you hear about it afterwards even more. This guy is clearly an idiot and I’m embarrassed we wear the same shirt. I don’t even know where to start on this fool. Also if he was on the sideline, shame on the crew for letting him dress like that during their game

In no way am I condoning his “trolling”, he’s an idiot acting like an even bigger idiot on Facebook in a game his team won. Nothing good comes from that situation. With that said he came directly from a youth game and was heading to one after Simeon game was well. As far as why he was on the sidelines... He’s not on the sidelines at Naz home games so I guess he found his way out there with the surprisingly lax Gately security. There was a lot of people on both sidelines without passes. Security let a bunch of people by like it was no big deal.

The whole thing is ridiculous all the way around. What self respecting person seeks out people to troll after their team wins? Go enjoy the berth in semis instead.

Wow. On many levels.

free admission to games for certified officials

Not a good look for this parent/ref. So we have a ref in ref garb lobbying the refs before and/or during the game because he doesn't think lobbying refs works? Doesn't make much sense to me. He then goes on social media to say he lobbied to refs so the outcome would be in his favor?

I know, I know blame the coach for running. That is a cowards excuse to not address the implications here. We have a uniformed ref suggesting refs can be swayed and there was a couple questionable issues at the end that both went in favor of the refs claiming to have influenced the refs.

The implications are real here, what that parent said or did on FB was idiotic. But blaming the Coach is in no way a cowards excuse because those of us that were at the game know that game was officiated poorly for both sides! Yes, Nazareth was on the receiving end of some bad calls too.

Blaming someone and wanting them to be accountable are two different things bones...

I know, I know blame the coach for running. That is a cowards excuse to not address the implications here. We have a uniformed ref suggesting refs can be swayed and there was a couple questionable issues at the end that both went in favor of the refs claiming to have influenced the refs.

Interesting position, Bones, given the position you took after the Plainfield North/Fenwick debacle.

Remember this? "Before it was always said dont let it come down to a referee's call. Still applies, even for Fenwick. They still could have blocked the FG and/or won in OT. PFN made the necessary plays to win."

Looks to me like you offered up that same coward's excuse a couple of years ago.

Last edited:
I will maintain my position from the PN/Fenwick situation. The errors by the officials are a part of the game. When we start trying to legislate this after the game is over or away from the playing field is when we start to ruin the game we all love.

It sucks for Simeon. If any of what has been said or reported is true is really a crime. IN the Fenwick game the same holds true.

Bottom line is there is no place for lawsuits to try and decide a sporting event. I am sure there are far better ways to spend ones time and money. And the message being sent to the kids is that if you don't like the outcome, a couple of parents who had nothing to do with the outcome will go and try and decide it for you.

It sucked for Simeon just like it sucked for Fenwick. Game over, tip your cap, Naz wins and likely wins the 7A title this weekend.

I will maintain my position from the PN/Fenwick situation. The errors by the officials are a part of the game. When we start trying to legislate this after the game is over or away from the playing field is when we start to ruin the game we all love.

It sucks for Simeon. If any of what has been said or reported is true is really a crime. IN the Fenwick game the same holds true.

Bottom line is there is no place for lawsuits to try and decide a sporting event. I am sure there are far better ways to spend ones time and money. And the message being sent to the kids is that if you don't like the outcome, a couple of parents who had nothing to do with the outcome will go and try and decide it for you.

It sucked for Simeon just like it sucked for Fenwick. Game over, tip your cap, Naz wins and likely wins the 7A title this weekend.
While ref errors or even ref discretion are part of the game, the Fenwick situation was definitely more egregious in the sense in that the ref error was clear and the game should have ended. A lot of ref blaming by fans (just generally speaking) are complaints related to ref discretion.. Bad calls, missed penalties, etc.

Now it does sound as though there is a very big issue with one person in this situation, and could require a response by the IHSA (if the ref in question is a IHSA ref). The lawsuit whulich tries to extend it into some larger conspiracy is either grasping at straws or just a political stunt.

Reactions: pm373869
This is surely a bizarre and head scratching situation, but the sueing part is typical of our society today.

If someone smashes into your car and hurts you or your car by all means sue away to receive compensation. When you lose a game just chalk it up to a crappy situation (or maybe bad play calling as some are saying) and “go get em next time”. It’s the challenge the play mentality that I can’t stand these days.

Interesting position, Bones, given the position you took after the Plainfield North/Fenwick debacle.

Remember this? "Before it was always said dont let it come down to a referee's call. Still applies, even for Fenwick. They still could have blocked the FG and/or won in OT. PFN made the necessary plays to win."

Looks to me like you offered up that same coward's excuse a couple of years ago.
I already said that I feel Naz played better and should have won, I also predicted a Naz win prior to. I am not calling for the IHSA to overturn a game and I don't know what the lawsuit will do. The game is over and Naz won.

That does not address the implications. Funny how you change sides though, depending on who is the "injured" group and who is the percieved "helped" group.

If Plainfield North had a parent/ref do what this parent did you would have cried a river. Hell, look at every time the brackets come out, all the conspiracy theories about how the IHSA is scheming against private schools when you know the seeding formula before hand. But this here is nothing to see? I'm disappointed ramblinman, I figured you would be level headed in this.

Reactions: Schwab54
I have been in a third world country for the past week and haven't had much of an opportunity to post on this situation or any situation. How do you know what my position is on this? My only post on it so far is to point out your coward's excuse comment.

Reactions: Underwhelmed23
I blame Naz for letting this get out of control. They knew who the parent was. And how could they let this guy on their sideline, let alone in an official's uniform? This is cleary an issue with the Naz athletic staff and I am sure the IHSA will cpme down very hard on them for it and rightfully so.

And how does this guy stay in his official's uniform? And then by all reports, troll the Simeon people.

My guess is that the IHSA strips him of his official's license. And if he is a youth official, hopefully it costs him his job there as well. There is no place in organized sports for a guy like this.

I agree with Newt that nothing should be done to change the outcome of this game.

I blame Naz for letting this get out of control. They knew who the parent was. And how could they let this guy on their sideline, let alone in an official's uniform? This is cleary an issue with the Naz athletic staff and I am sure the IHSA will cpme down very hard on them for it and rightfully so.
Wouldn't it depend partially on where exactly this guy was? Between the 30s would be Naz's territory to control. Outside the 30s wouldn't it be the refs/stadium crew to police?

Wouldn't it depend partially on where exactly this guy was? Between the 30s would be Naz's territory to control. Outside the 30s wouldn't it be the refs/stadium crew to police?

Naz is responsible for everyone on their sideline. Most non-football personnel (typically administration, alumni, etc) are normally outside the 25's.

Reactions: ClownBaby

And how does this guy stay in his official's uniform? And then by all reports, troll the Simeon people.

My guess is that the IHSA strips him of his official's license. And if he is a youth official, hopefully it costs him his job there as well. There is no place in organized sports for a guy like this.

I agree with Newt that nothing should be done to change the outcome of this game.

Do we know he is an IHSA official? If so, was he wearing his patch on his uniform? If he isn't an IHSA official, there's no IHSA license to strip.

First off, the referee in question is a complete idiot...he not only is a football official, but volleyball and basketball. Saw him at a volleyball match and acted like a complete moron and throw a coach out of the gym and taunt them as they left. He’s the kind of guy who wants everyone to know, I’m here to ref and I’m in charge.

Anyone who knows this ref/parent knows he is a loud-mouthed out-of-control jackass. He has no business officiating on ANY level. He is barred from reffing any HS games and most youth leagues won't use him either. He had no business being on the sidelines and likely used his ref garb to gain entry and access.

Refs who are not currently officiating often put on a jacket over their stripes so as not to confuse any of the people they interact with. That should've happened here but you are dealing with an individual who believes he's above the rules he's charged with enforcing.

He is bad for Naz. He is bad for youth sports. He needs to be put away.

Naz should be held accountable for allowing him on their sidelines. Very tricky situation. It shouldn't have to fall on the team's shoulders yet it has to. Unfortunately, his actions do reflect on an otherwise fine program.

He is a human embarrassment. The only good which will come out of this lawsuit is drawing attention to dealing properly with this moron.

Wow. On many levels.

Halloween party was cancelled

He wore a jacket, as shown in the picture. He also had no pass. The guy next to him is also a dad and also an official, he didn’t wear a jacket hence why you’re confused. They worked a youth game before and after Simeon game. The other guy did nothing wrong and is a great dude. People can blame Naz but security let him through. As a matter of fact they let probably 20 people through, lots of people on both sides without credentials.

He wore a jacket, as shown in the picture. He also had no pass. The guy next to him is also a dad and also an official, he didn’t wear a jacket hence why you’re confused. They worked a youth game before and after Simeon game. The other guy did nothing wrong and is a great dude. People can blame Naz but security let him through. As a matter of fact they let probably 20 people through, lots of people on both sides without credentials.

Question will be, will NAZ do anything about this? The outcome won't be changed the coaches or team won't be in trouble, they did nothing wrong. How will the school handle it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT