ADVERTISEMENT

Simeon Sues

To me, it seems like this guy is a blowhard looking for credit that belongs to a bunch of high school kids. He's a total douche, but that doesn't diminish what the players did. By all accounts, calls were missed both ways. That happens on every level. Let's not hold the refs on the high school level to higher standards than every other one. Let's give them credit that the official crew has enough integrity to not be unduly influenced by this asswipe. Sure, he's telling everyone how important he was to that game. Are you dumb enough to believe him?

Question will be, will NAZ do anything about this? The outcome won't be changed the coaches or team won't be in trouble, they did nothing wrong. How will the school handle it.
What do you want them to do? Not be a smartass, serious question.

To me, it seems like this guy is a blowhard looking for credit that belongs to a bunch of high school kids. He's a total douche, but that doesn't diminish what the players did. By all accounts, calls were missed both ways. That happens on every level. Let's not hold the refs on the high school level to higher standards than every other one. Let's give them credit that the official crew has enough integrity to not be unduly influenced by this asswipe. Sure, he's telling everyone how important he was to that game. Are you dumb enough to believe him?
Your assessment is spot on.

It's not Naz job to police the side lines at the opponents field.

I disagree. I've been on the sidelines during a road semi-final game a few years back (a controversial one I might add) and our AD made sure that everyone on the sidelines had a pass around their neck.

I'm interested to hear if this guy was a regular on the Naz sideline throughout the season. Can anyone elaborate on this?

Also, I'm a firm believer in bad calls being part of the game and final results being upheld. Naz should not have to vacate this win.

I don't know, ban him from game or games? If NAZ does noting its almost like they're fine with his actions. It's serious enough to him he took down his facebook and twitter page. Perception is reality .

For the record NAZ football did nothing wrong.

Wow. On many levels.

Quick question unrelated to this mess:
Why would the Dad be dressed in his ref uniform at the game if he wasn’t part of the crew calling the game? There was no Soph game to ref before Varsity since it was a playoff game. Did he come directly from reffing a different earlier game or something so he could watch his kid play?

Question somewhat related to this mess:
Please tell me that Refs aren’t reffing their family members games. Is it honor code or a formal rule in place?

It has been a while since I have posted on here but I am going to answer you.

First. The guy in question was not working the game. He claims he was coming from a youth game and stayed dressed. Let’s be honest. He wore it to get into the restricted access area on the field. He is an official that has done only underclass and youth football. He is the director of officiating for a youth football league in the Chicago Area. The Chicagoland UFL I believe. He is listed on their website as the director of officials. With that being said, there is no way possible that he had any influence on the playoff officials in any way, shape or form.

Second. When it comes to refereeing your kids there is nothing saying you can’t. For underclass it happens from time to time but for Varsity it never ever happens.

This is an unfortunate situation where a guy thinking he was funny posted comments to pour salt in the wounds of the losing team. That post is a reflection of the individual and not a reflection of the crew working the game.

Totally disagree you are always responsible for the actions of your team and fans regardless of game location. By saying it’s not my job you get incidents like this and you tarnish what otherwise was a great win for Naz.

To second this... As coaches, you have to be aware of who is on your sideline at all times. You are responsible for them. I've been in games where the head coach has asked the AD who a person is to make sure they belong on the sidelines. Why would you want someone like this clown on your sideline? Leads me to believe he was a regular on the sideline and Naz knew all about it.

Naz should've asked him to leave the sidelines and alerted security if he didn't comply. You knew who he was. You knew he didn't belong there. Or you could just say it's not your job to police the sidelines and allow your affiliated idiots to tarnish this contest while you shrug your shoulders. Like I said earlier, the only good thing that will come of this lawsuit is the exposing of the problem you unfortunately have to deal with.

To second this... As coaches, you have to be aware of who is on your sideline at all times. You are responsible for them. I've been in games where the head coach has asked the AD who a person is to make sure they belong on the sidelines. Why would you want someone like this clown on your sideline? Leads me to believe he was a regular on the sideline and Naz knew all about it.

I’ve seen people ejected off the sideline multiple times over the years you don’t want an random people down there. They may not be affiliated with your school but when you allow them to act like a jerk on your sideline you own them weather that is fair or not.

Are they playing for 3rd place?
I was at RB for a basketball tourney last season and in their gym is a 3rd place football plaque but i cant remember the year they claim to have won 3rd place, but no 3rd place existed that I am sure of.

Totally disagree you are always responsible for the actions of your team and fans regardless of game location. By saying it’s not my job you get incidents like this and you tarnish what otherwise was a great win for Naz.
Let me rephrase this... Naz was not in charge of the security that let unbadged personnel on the field. Home team always set the guidelines of who makes it to the field by communication with security. Coaches have enough to worry about and should not worry if someone belongs there. That's how you call a run play on 3rd and 2 with no timeouts 20 secs with left and a WR that won every jump ball in the game... I'm just saying...

#Giveyourselfachance

Its embarrassing that this guy was on the sideline. As a youth football coach and youth board member, the fact this guy is anywhere near youth football is frightening.

This is NOT on Naz. This guy shouldn't be allowed near the game. I believe he is from the UFL, and he is listed under the head of officials category. How that league can let him participate any longer is a joke.

Reactions: Gene K. and Quags57
Naz should've asked him to leave the sidelines and alerted security if he didn't comply. You knew who he was. You knew he didn't belong there. Or you could just say it's not your job to police the sidelines and allow your affiliated idiots to tarnish this contest while you shrug your shoulders. Like I said earlier, the only good thing that will come of this lawsuit is the exposing of the problem you unfortunately have to deal with.

I don’t know enough to say for sure but I don’t know that he even did anything remotely inappropriate while on the sideline... I think all of his transgressions were after the fact on social media. So I don’t know that there was even a “problem” on the sideline except for the appearance after the fact due to later misdeeds... and without those later unforeseeable actions there would have never been an appearance to worry about.

Does anyone know if this guy has been allowed on the sidelines in previous games?

I was at RB for a basketball tourney last season and in their gym is a 3rd place football plaque but i cant remember the year they claim to have won 3rd place, but no 3rd place existed that I am sure of.
I have seen that as well - always wondered how they decided they came in third place - a semifinalist plaque is more correct.

Reactions: Cross Bones
"Sideline Passes: In addition to team personnel, and other necessary workers, access to the sidelines will be limited to members of the working press (writers and photographers) from legitimate news media and the students from the competing teams representing their school newspaper and/or yearbook. Host managers should honor written requests on company stationery for sideline (and press box) credentials from legitimate news media, and should issue special sideline passes clearly designating the bearer as a member of the working press. The same pass should be issued to students from the competing schools who provide a letter from their principal on school stationery indicating the student presenting the letter is a legitimate representative of the school newspaper and/or yearbook staff. (See Terms and Conditions)."

Straight from the manual for site administrators. Yes, its the duty of the home team to enforce the rules, but the visitors can also flag an official or the home AD or other administrator and have unauthorized people removed from their sideline.

Let me rephrase this... Naz was not in charge of the security that let unbadged personnel on the field. Home team always set the guidelines of who makes it to the field by communication with security. Coaches have enough to worry about and should not worry if someone belongs there. That's how you call a run play on 3rd and 2 with no timeouts 20 secs with left and a WR that won every jump ball in the game... I'm just saying...

#Giveyourselfachance

The coaches don’t need to do it most schools have the AD or Principal do it.

Reactions: Underwhelmed23
The space on the sidelines at Gately is so tight that I could see how this guy could blend in or go unnoticed.

The coaches don’t need to do it most schools have the AD or Principal do it.
Agree the AD should be monitoring the sideline and off field activities, coaches have too much to do during a game.

Anyone who knows this ref/parent knows he is a loud-mouthed out-of-control jackass. He has no business officiating on ANY level. He is barred from reffing any HS games and most youth leagues won't use him either. He had no business being on the sidelines and likely used his ref garb to gain entry and access.

Refs who are not currently officiating often put on a jacket over their stripes so as not to confuse any of the people they interact with. That should've happened here but you are dealing with an individual who believes he's above the rules he's charged with enforcing.

He is bad for Naz. He is bad for youth sports. He needs to be put away.

Naz should be held accountable for allowing him on their sidelines. Very tricky situation. It shouldn't have to fall on the team's shoulders yet it has to. Unfortunately, his actions do reflect on an otherwise fine program.

He is a human embarrassment. The only good which will come out of this lawsuit is drawing attention to dealing properly with this moron.
Not v
This is standard for all officials. Guidelines are that people don't know you're an official at an event unless you're actually officiating.
what he did was wrong but he at least did have a black coat on over his stripes.

why the heck was he allowed "inside the ropes" at an IHSA playoff game where his son was on a team? is he part of the staff of a school or team? i thought a few years ago Maine south got busted over having various people on the sidelines and there were rule changes.... the host team and school need to be answering questions....not the numb skull father who needs to re think his association with IHSA. what an unnecessary mess.

He wore a jacket, as shown in the picture. He also had no pass. The guy next to him is also a dad and also an official, he didn’t wear a jacket hence why you’re confused. They worked a youth game before and after Simeon game. The other guy did nothing wrong and is a great dude. People can blame Naz but security let him through. As a matter of fact they let probably 20 people through, lots of people on both sides without credentials.
doesn't the school control security? doesn't the buck stop at the host school?

sounds like one parent from Naz will be banned from future athletic events......its an unnecessary black eye to a top notch program with a great reputation. unfortunate to say the least.

Reactions: Gene K.
Ok thanks that makes sense.

Any refs out there? What’s the rulebook say on refs calling family members games? Is it prohibited? Is it on the honor rule only or is there a process in place to ensure it doesn’t happen?
I don’t referee football, but do high school basketball. I also have a son who plays high school basketball. Any official who works games in a capacity where there is a conflict of interest is very foolish, and jeopardizing their officiating career. I can say that for state playoff games the IHSA asks if you have a relationship with any schools so they can ensure you are not assigned games involving that school.

This is really sad. We are sending our kids the wrong message - when things do not go our way, or the outcome is unfair, then sue. I'm a lawyer and live by the billable hour, so this post will most likely come off as a bit disingenuous, but I feel really bad for all of the kids on the Simeon team and NAZ team. I did not agree with the folks at Fenwick when they filed their emergency TRO / Motion for Injunctive Relief, but so did the Honorable Judge Kennedy. Although, I believe they are seeking different relief (haven't seen the pleadings), Simeon will realize a similar result. Sad, sad day...

This is really sad. We are sending our kids the wrong message - when things do not go our way, or the outcome is unfair, then sue. I'm a lawyer and live by the billable hour, so this post will most likely come off as a bit disingenuous, but I feel really bad for all of the kids on the Simeon team and NAZ team. I did not agree with the folks at Fenwick when they filed their emergency TRO / Motion for Injunctive Relief, but so did the Honorable Judge Kennedy. Although, I believe they are seeking different relief (haven't seen the pleadings), Simeon will realize a similar result. Sad, sad day...
Bowie, you are spot on. In all of this, it seems like everyone is trying to figure out where to place blame for this, but what’s getting lost in the shuffle, is how this is affecting these boys. Nazareth should be preparing to play for a state title, which in my opinion they deserve, and Simeon should be reflecting on what was a great season. These boys on both sides are gonna face a helluva lot more adversity in their respective lives then they did on that Saturday at Gately. I hope they handle it better than these adults are. Very sad, but truly indicative of the times that we live in.

When filling out your availability with the IHSA you are suppose to list any school you would have a conflict with .
Your integrity would hopefully make you do it.

Although, I believe they are seeking different relief (haven't seen the pleadings), Simeon will realize a similar result. Sad, sad day...

Bowie, I agree with you as to where this lawsuit is going, that is nowhere. At the same time I don't think that this is the point of the filing of this lawsuit. Whether we agree or not, these parents etc who are the plaintiffs want an outlet for their anger at their feeling that Simeon was treated unfairly by the referees just over a week ago. The actions of the parent/referee from Naz has given them a vehicle to express that anger and serves to publicize what they believe to be an unjust result.

Reactions: Skins93
Bowie, I agree with you as to where this lawsuit is going, that is nowhere. At the same time I don't think that this is the point of the filing of this lawsuit. Whether we agree or not, these parents etc who are the plaintiffs want an outlet for their anger at their feeling that Simeon was treated unfairly by the referees just over a week ago. The actions of the parent/referee from Naz has given them a vehicle to express that anger and serves to publicize what they believe to be an unjust result.
Understood, but as Cocacoaler states and I wholeheartedly agree with is that this is an enormous disservice to these kids and not the life lesson we should be teaching them.

Let’s say Something Chicago happens ... they get the TRO from a judge just as showy as the official in question - what could potentially happen? Does it go up the chain? If you can find/post filing, it would be interesting reading.

I've been to Gately several times. No random parent can get on the sidelines. I am sure at some point he was deemed okay to be there. I am sure the individuals that vouched for him had no ideal this would happen. I am sure everyone thought this person would behave which he probably did during the game. The stupid comment is what made everything wrong and now should be dealt with by Naz at some point. Right now, they should be focused on playing for the championship and not worry about this crap. Deal with the madness next Monday after the championship game is over.

ADVERTISEMENT