ADVERTISEMENT

Should ESL defend 7A title or go 6A?

They should play where there enrollment dictates! If thats in 6a, then get your popcorn ready! LOADED.

All.... I have always wanted to visit the ESL stadium and hang out before the game with Flyer fans. I'm told their tailgates are legendary and the grilling is the same. The closest I came was 2008 in Champaign. SHG (6A) and ESL (7A) made the finals going on to wins that day. Had a Flyer group next to us in the parking lot and they were very fun to be around.

Playing "up" is a two year commitment per IHSA rules. So due consideration should be taken in making that decision. Ratsy

Was last year the end of their two year commitment?

I believe Fall of 2015 was 7A but the strike took away the post season.

Last year was 7A.

I would love to see ESL in 6A for Fall 2017 season! Odds are there would be a collision course set for an ESL vs PR in the playoffs (or state title game). That would be one of the best if not the best game of the year across all classes.

Where do we vote, plead, cajole, (dare I say) Recruit to make that happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Had this exact same discussion with a few of the East Side coaches at O'Fallon on Sunday. Let's just say it was brought up and didn't get much traction...I'm guessing staying 7A....8A was also mentioned as well as 6A

Was last year the end of their two year commitment?

I believe Fall of 2015 was 7A but the strike took away the post season.

Last year was 7A.

I would love to see ESL in 6A for Fall 2017 season! Odds are there would be a collision course set for an ESL vs PR in the playoffs (or state title game). That would be one of the best if not the best game of the year across all classes.

Where do we vote, plead, cajole, (dare I say) Recruit to make that happen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Am I the only one that disagrees. I think Samson would run all over them and PR would make enough stops to win by 2 TDs. This game would get into the 100s though.

Reactions: ejg64
Pretty much bank on 7A unless something drastically change with Administration.

Having seen both of these teams in person over the last 3 years I wonder... Could a team from the great white north keep up with 'all gas no breaks' from the South? I may not go to my teams game in order to watch that heavyweight fight. Holy cow.

It might be fun to have ESL in 7A if GW falls to 7A. That could be a barn burner like 2008.

Most would love to see the PR/ESL matchup we missed last year.

Reactions: flyerforlife
I would definitely like to see ESL in 6A. Admire them for moving up in class last year. Would also like to see ESL and Montini play again this time in the playoffs.

Yes that'd be another fun one. Coach Hetlet's 3-3 stack vs. the QB transfer and the other returning skill. Wowzer.

This year Hetlet's O, with the return of OC Sig, might have enough weapons to keep up. West has 5 legit guys that can all take it to the house. The interesting part will be to see how Hetlet reloads a D that graduated a ton of speed and heart.

Heard ESL picked up a couple of high level players from a school right across the boarder.

Heard ESL picked up a couple of high level players from a school right across the boarder.

There are no high level players that transferred into ESL. Perez from O'fallon is the only kid that arrived with one offer (Jackson State).

Rock Island, BV West, Cahokia, Soldan, Collinsville and Ofallon have all contributed to the Flyers roster this offseason. Rich get richer I guess.

And many wonder why teams are trying to bail from the SWC. Granite City is already out and others have tried to get out for football.

Rock Island, BV West, Cahokia, Soldan, Collinsville and Ofallon have all contributed to the Flyers roster this offseason. Rich get richer I guess.

And many wonder why teams are trying to bail from the SWC. Granite City is already out and others have tried to get out for football.

Yes an O'fallon got Baseball transfers. Belleville West got 3 basketball transfers. I guess people just move or decide to go to different schools.

By the way ESL get beat in baseball by an average of 15. Should they complain about baseball??

LOL

I will also add E'ville has won 3 of the last 4 conference championships. Not ESL.

You do know that right?

Keep in mind every school benefits from transfers especially Edwardsville

Last edited:
Every school goes through addition and subtractions each year. Not many add over 10 in a single sport. I have a roster from the CBC game last year. Will be interested to see how many new names appear on the roster when I get over to a game this year. As far as Eville goes, their whole athletic program has to be attractive to outsiders. If I had kids I would move them there because they would probably be good at whatever sport they were playing and have access to a great education too.

My big thing with all the transfers is I feel like it takes away from the community when kids from other towns move in, for one sport, and take some other kids spot. A kid who grows up just waiting for their shot at play for the (insert name here) and then has a move-in show up all the sudden and now too bad. I grew up in a small town, which won multiple state titles in football. We had very few transfers and when we brought home a trophy, it was special. It wasn't an all star team, it was a team of home grown kids who wanted the same thing since they were little. When a team strolls out on the field on Friday night and a quarter of the team has never even slept in that town, it devalues what high school sports are supposed to be about to me.

For example, my buddy sees a certain player leave his neighborhood each morning. That player will be the starting QB, in another town, this upcoming season. It's a shame but it happens all over. Usually I reserve this argument in the private vs public debate, but it seems applicable in this case.

Every school goes through addition and subtractions each year. Not many add over 10 in a single sport. I have a roster from the CBC game last year. Will be interested to see how many new names appear on the roster when I get over to a game this year. As far as Eville goes, their whole athletic program has to be attractive to outsiders. If I had kids I would move them there because they would probably be good at whatever sport they were playing and have access to a great education too.

My big thing with all the transfers is I feel like it takes away from the community when kids from other towns move in, for one sport, and take some other kids spot. A kid who grows up just waiting for their shot at play for the (insert name here) and then has a move-in show up all the sudden and now too bad. I grew up in a small town, which won multiple state titles in football. We had very few transfers and when we brought home a trophy, it was special. It wasn't an all star team, it was a team of home grown kids who wanted the same thing since they were little. When a team strolls out on the field on Friday night and a quarter of the team has never even slept in that town, it devalues what high school sports are supposed to be about to me.

For example, my buddy sees a certain player leave his neighborhood each morning. That player will be the starting QB, in another town, this upcoming season. It's a shame but it happens all over. Usually I reserve this argument in the private vs public debate, but it seems applicable in this case.

Great response and I can respect your point of view. I disagree with the improper credit transfers get to the success of a team. I also know and understand that pretty much ALL of the kids are from East St. Louis. Maybe 1 or 2 or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: flyerforlife
What about the WR from Cahokia?

Have zero offers and he played for ESL as a Freshman and the summer of his sophomore year. He is not considered elite and will have to work really hard to break the lineup. Cahokia coaches believe he will go back before the season based on the level of competition at ESL.

Have zero offers and he played for ESL as a Freshman and the summer of his sophomore year. He is not considered elite and will have to work really hard to break the lineup. Cahokia coaches believe he will go back before the season based on the level of competition at ESL.

Interesting. I wasn't sure how talented he was or not. Just heard he left ESL Bc he wasn't going to be the guy with Jeff Thomas. Now Thomas gone he back. Perez Hall and that #16 I think was a freshman last year a solid 1-2 punch. Then obv all the other athletes on sidelines lol

They would be 5A right now.....I would say 100 percent chance of moving up, 90 percent to 7A. The potential field this fall intrigues East Side a bit in 6A but I feel pretty comfortable they remain in 7A unless the admin gets involved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT