ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Mill updated!

I think they should take it a step further and reach out to the 8 remaining Catholic schools in the region and have an all-encompassing “Chicago Catholic League” football conference.

4 divisions of 8 makes sense to me. Review every two years under a male enrollment + football program health + success formula for promotion and relegation. Worth a shot...

BLUE
Loyola
Marist
Notre Dame
Brother Rice
Benet
St. Patrick
Mount Carmel
St. Rita

GREEN
Carmel Catholic
Fenwick
Marmion
Rockford Boylan
Providence
De La Salle
St. Laurence
Nazareth

WHITE
Montini
ICC
Joliet Catholic
Marian Central
St. Ignatius
St. Viator
Bishop Mac
Wheaton St. Francis

RED
Marian Catholic
Guerin Prep
Aurora Central Catholic
St. Edward’s Elgin
DePaul
Christ the King
St Joe’s
Leo

Reactions: Jchill-1
I wonder what role Montini played in this and if their move to the blue started some wheels spinning along with B Mac leaving after last year.

I would LOVE to see the CMC but not with 8 per division so there can be more catholic cross over games and local public vs private rivalries can stay in tact.

I would prefer no colors for names as people would immediately assume color equals rank, but for this, I will use colors and I'm trying to match up schools via location/abilities/cultures but it is not perfect so don't nail me to the cross!

BLUE
Providence
Marist
Brother Rice
Benet

GOLD
Notre Dame
St. Patrick
Mount Carmel
St. Rita

GREEN
Nazareth
Fenwick
Loyola
Montini

ORANGE
Marmion
Rockford Boylan
Wheaton St. Francis
Marian Central

WHITE
De La Salle
St. Laurence
Carmel Catholic
Joliet Catholic

BLACK
St. Ignatius
St. Viator
Bishop Mac
Marian Catholic

RED
ICC
Leo
Aurora Central Catholic
St. Edward’s Elgin

PURPLE
Guerin
DePaul
Christ the King
St Joe’s

First 20 teams were relatively easy, last 4 were easy. The "Red" and "Black" were very difficult in that locations and school sizes became a bit of a battle. This is a fun rumor scenario and it would be AWESOME to see the all male schools play each other. Marist and Loyola crossing paths more frequently. Seeing schools like Benet, Fenwick, Naz, and Montini who all battle for a lot of the same kids mix it up on the field. It also can avoid the St. Joe's vs Loyola or DePaul Mount Carmel scheduling snafu's. Maybe, just maybe this can happen!

I would LOVE to see the CMC but not with 8 per division so there can be more catholic cross over games and local public vs private rivalries can stay in tact.

I would prefer no colors for names as people would immediately assume color equals rank, but for this, I will use colors and I'm trying to match up schools via location/abilities/cultures but it is not perfect so don't nail me to the cross!

BLUE
Providence
Marist
Brother Rice
Benet

GOLD
Notre Dame
St. Patrick
Mount Carmel
St. Rita

GREEN
Nazareth
Fenwick
Loyola
Montini

ORANGE
Marmion
Rockford Boylan
Wheaton St. Francis
Marian Central

WHITE
De La Salle
St. Laurence
Carmel Catholic
Joliet Catholic

BLACK
St. Ignatius
St. Viator
Bishop Mac
Marian Catholic

RED
ICC
Leo
Aurora Central Catholic
St. Edward’s Elgin

PURPLE
Guerin
DePaul
Christ the King
St Joe’s

First 20 teams were relatively easy, last 4 were easy. The "Red" and "Black" were very difficult in that locations and school sizes became a bit of a battle. This is a fun rumor scenario and it would be AWESOME to see the all male schools play each other. Marist and Loyola crossing paths more frequently. Seeing schools like Benet, Fenwick, Naz, and Montini who all battle for a lot of the same kids mix it up on the field. It also can avoid the St. Joe's vs Loyola or DePaul Mount Carmel scheduling snafu's. Maybe, just maybe this can happen!
I would like this a lot!

Should be special. Is IC, AC, StF and the rest a part of this???

Wonder if they could get SHG as a part of this?

Will they still have 2 non-conference games? I like these to see the private and public teams play each other.

My proposal would be somewhat along 3 Orange whips lines in taking the top 16 and make 2 divisions out of them, and take the bottom 16 for two divisions but mix them up. Dont do the lazy thing & take the 8 biggest or 8 best teams and put them in one division because then you'll have 4 of your best programs missing the playoffs. Take 4 of your 8 biggest or best & 4 of the next 8 and boom, you got a division. Same with remaining 4's. Repeat with lower 16. Leaves a 7 game schedule in conference with room for 2 manageable non-conference games for everyone.

Example:

Lenti Division:
Loyola
Mt. Carmel
Benet
St. Rita
Carmel Mundelein
De LaSalle
Rockford Boylan
Marmion

Mitchell Division:
BR
Marist
St. Pat
ND
Lawrence
Fenwick
Naz
Provi

Cronin Division:
Montini
ICC
Marian Cent Cath
Viator
St. Ed's
Guerin
ACC
Wheaton St. Francis

Hoerster Division:
JCA
Ignatius
Mac
Marian Cath
DePaul
Christ the King
St. Joe's
Leo

Pretty fair as I would love to see it.

My proposal would be somewhat along 3 Orange whips lines in taking the top 16 and make 2 divisions out of them, and take the bottom 16 for two divisions but mix them up. Dont do the lazy thing & take the 8 biggest or 8 best teams and put them in one division because then you'll have 4 of your best programs missing the playoffs. Take 4 of your 8 biggest or best & 4 of the next 8 and boom, you got a division. Same with remaining 4's. Repeat with lower 16. Leaves a 7 game schedule in conference with room for 2 manageable non-conference games for everyone.

Example:

Lenti Division:
Loyola
Mt. Carmel
Benet
St. Rita
Carmel Mundelein
De LaSalle
Rockford Boylan
Marmion

Mitchell Division:
BR
Marist
St. Pat
ND
Lawrence
Fenwick
Naz
Provi

Cronin Division:
Montini
ICC
Marian Cent Cath
Viator
St. Ed's
Guerin
ACC
Wheaton St. Francis

Hoerster Division:
JCA
Ignatius
Mac
Marian Cath
DePaul
Christ the King
St. Joe's
Leo

Shouldn’t there be a Gillespie or Sharp division?

Example:

Lenti Division:
Loyola
Mt. Carmel
Benet
St. Rita
Carmel Mundelein
De LaSalle
Rockford Boylan
Marmion

Mitchell Division:
BR
Marist
St. Pat
ND
Lawrence
Fenwick
Naz
Provi

Cronin Division:
Montini
ICC
Marian Cent Cath
Viator
St. Ed's
Guerin
ACC
Wheaton St. Francis

Hoerster Division:
JCA
Ignatius
Mac
Marian Cath
DePaul
Christ the King
St. Joe's
Leo

Example:

Lenti Division:
Loyola
Mt. Carmel
Benet
St. Rita
Carmel Mundelein
De LaSalle
Rockford Boylan
Marmion

Mitchell Division:
BR
Marist
St. Pat
ND
Lawrence
Fenwick
Naz
Provi

Cronin Division:
Montini
ICC
Marian Cent Cath
Viator
St. Ed's
Guerin
ACC
Wheaton St. Francis

Hoerster Division:
JCA
Ignatius
Mac
Marian Cath
DePaul
Christ the King
St. Joe's
Leo

no Kavanagh Division ?!?!?!!

Example:

Lenti Division:
Loyola
Mt. Carmel
Benet
St. Rita
Carmel Mundelein
De LaSalle
Rockford Boylan
Marmion

Mitchell Division:
BR
Marist
St. Pat
ND
Lawrence
Fenwick
Naz
Provi

Cronin Division:
Montini
ICC
Marian Cent Cath
Viator
St. Ed's
Guerin
ACC
Wheaton St. Francis

Hoerster Division:
JCA
Ignatius
Mac
Marian Cath
DePaul
Christ the King
St. Joe's
Leo

JCA would put a running clock on almost every team in their division. Even with the teams they have had the last two years.

Reactions: go_rice
What is going to make this work this time that didn’t work last time?

Simply put, things are different now.

Different people/personalities at the schools than there were back when the CMC went belly up. Different football dynamic now, especially on the south side. No multiplier or success factor back then. There were more Catholic schools playing football back then. A number have closed or dropped football.

I explained it on the pay side but the cliff notes version is (disclaimer: I am not an insider and privy to any of the meetings):

The difference this time is that it looks like a collective, proactive approach to declining populations in the state as a whole, the area, catholics, and football players. A handful of ESCC teams and a smaller handful of CCL teams don’t need this but there are more vulnerable programs now than in the late 90’s.

The smaller divisions allow the crossover scheduling to be more agile and can address issues ADs bring up in a more time efficient manner and doesn’t allow problems to fester.

A cleaner, more robust version of my thoughts are on the other side. I hope the above scribble I just typed helps you understand why I think it has a better chance to stick.

Reactions: eireog
Simply put, things are different now.

Different people/personalities at the schools than there were back when the CMC went belly up. Different football dynamic now, especially on the south side. No multiplier or success factor back then. There were more Catholic schools playing football back then. A number have closed or dropped football.
It’s exciting news. I liked it the last time and I like it now. Long overdue.

Would the private schools in the state not play IHSA football anymore? Just run their own conference and own playoffs? Even if it would only be 40-50 teams?

I doubt it. They're still members despite all the IHSA rules and regs designed to water down their success.

Would districts be enough to make them leave? Again, I doubt it.

I would prefer to see the ESCC remain it’s own conference and have the CCL resolve its own issues.

Easy to say now. You'll be glad not to have to play the likes of Marist, Benet, and ND if JCA's enrollment falls much lower than it is now.

Reactions: ESCC Alum
Can someone tell me, specifically, what's going on? It appears to be a union of all Catholic schools in the area? Is that true? Anything else?

Can someone tell me, specifically, what's going on? It appears to be a union of all Catholic schools in the area? Is that true? Anything else?

Presently, there is mutual interest between the CCL and ESCC to merge for football.

Motivating factors are to group schools (4 divisions of 6) based on enrollment and success as well as ensuring the lower level programs that do/will exist have a full slate of games. Not all CCL have frosh/soph and the ESCC adopted the JV/V format this season even though some schools can field all 3.

The CCL voted unanimously (14-0), yesterday. There were some dissenting opinions but a unified front at the end of the day.

ESCC votes Oct 2. Call your local alderman.

Presently, there is mutual interest between the CCL and ESCC to merge for football.

Motivating factors are to group schools (4 divisions of 6) based on enrollment and success as well as ensuring the lower level programs that do/will exist have a full slate of games. Not all CCL have frosh/soph and the ESCC adopted the JV/V format this season even though some schools can field all 3.

The CCL voted unanimously (14-0), yesterday. There were some dissenting opinions but a unified front at the end of the day.

14-0 What school gets left behind by CCL?

6 divisions of 4 teams

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT