ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor Mill updated!

Not sure if you are suggesting JCA kids are adopting a "defeatist" attitude or a "losing" culture. If that were the case, they never would have beaten Rita. Very few people thought they'd win that game.
Never did I say that. Let me clarify, first of all I said some kids and I never said JCA kids either. Used JCA schedule for a scenario. The friends kids I talk to go to public schools.

Not sure if you are suggesting JCA kids are adopting a "defeatist" attitude or a "losing" culture. If that were the case, they never would have beaten Rita. Very few people thought they'd win that game.
I was just taking what JCHill Jr said and I figured he was speaking of the hill.

Loyola
Benet
Marist
M.C.

Brother Rice
Nazareth
Montini
Notre Dame

JCA
Provi
Rita
St. Larry

Fenwick
St. Viator
Marmion
De La Salle

Marian Central
St. Pats
St. Iggy
Carmel

Depaul
Leo
Marian
St. Joes

... I can see some movement between 1 & 2, maybe switching Benet and Rice for some more geographical rivalry stuff. Marist/BR & Naz/Benet/Montini would be fun every single year. I think 3,4,5, & 6 are pretty rock solid.

I don't know for some reason I never was excited to watch Benet.

I remember playing them years ago once in Lisle and many of their fans would be complaining our wrestlers playing football were throwing them around all over the field. Both teams fans sit in the same bleachers at Benedictine College.

I think with their enrollment level they are in the perfect grouping as #1 above.

Last edited:
I don't know for some reason I never was excited to watch Benet.

I remember playing them years ago once in Lisle and many of their fans would be complaining our wrestlers playing football were throwing them around all over the field. Both teams fans sit in the same bleachers at Benedictine College.

I think with their enrollment level they are in the perfect grouping as #1 above.
Benet has improved tremendously as a football program since the days they played Montini. Montini might be the one getting bullied out there now.

Agreed. They have twice as many students in their school. They need to be in a higher class.

Never did I say that. Let me clarify, first of all I said some kids and I never said JCA kids either. Used JCA schedule for a scenario. The friends kids I talk to go to public schools.
Didn't think you were suggesting it about JCA. Was addressing Godfathr's comments.

Agreed. They have twice as many students in their school. They need to be in a higher class.
You can’t dominate the last 15 years like Montini has and then get upset about being put in a tier with Benet, that’s not how it works.

Reactions: Cat Box

Will you have the same fair minded opinion if it's Nazareth that gets stuck with Loyola and Marist (as some have suggested due to recent success apparently outweighing enrollment)? Things can happen in any given year but you have to group teams based on normal competitiveness. Might Nazareth beat Marist or Loyola even this year? Maybe. Last year Nazareth was a heartbeat away from being 6a state champions yet they lost to Marist something like 42-0... A Marist who then lost to Loyola. So how competitive would that normally be for the much smaller school? In my opinion they should group primarily on enrollment not success otherwise the Catholic league is instituting their very own success factor punishing teams for success... the same concept privates rail against when it's the IHSA implementing it. If a big ass school like Notre Dame can't compete with the other big schools that's their fault not Montinis or Nazareths or any other smaller successful school. It's fun to see a Montini or Naz against a loyola occasionally like in a crossover game to see how they measure up but not as a regular thing.

Maybe AC would consider going "independent" but that creates difficulty scheduling 9 games.

Not at all!! I could line up 5 opponents right now to fill an independant AC’s schedule.
* Metea - AC probably favored?
* Neuqua - NV would be the favorite?
* Waubonsie - WV probably the favorite?
* Naperville North - would be competitive?
* Naperville Central - could be trouble for AC?

Just need to find four more games and rolling as an independant would be no problem!

I think Benet based on enrollment is in the #1 group. However they're going to throw a fit if they're up in the #1 group and Nazareth and Montini are not. They're point is going to be success and Montini and Naz will point to enrollment.

I could see it going either way. Benet dropped Montini years ago but I think there is something to be said for geographical rivalries. Fun for the kids and for the fans. Putting them in that division with Montini and Naz accomplishes that or just making sure there is a cross over game if they're up with the #1 group.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think Benet based on enrollment is in the #1 group. However they're going to throw a fit if they're up in the #1 group and Nazareth and Montini are not. They're point is going to be success and Montini and Naz will point to enrollment.

I could see it going either way. Benet dropped Montini years ago but I think there is something to be said for geographical rivalries. Fun for the kids and for the fans. Putting them in that division with Montini and Naz accomplishes that or just making sure there is a cross over game if they're up with the #1 group.

It's not like Benet hasn't been to back to back 7a state semi finals so along with enrollment they're also fairly successful

Not at all!! I could line up 5 opponents right now to fill an independant AC’s schedule.

Just need to find four more games and rolling as an independant would be no problem!

Aurora Christian High School has about 233 students (total, not in the senior class). They should have no problem competing against the 'Ville's and Valley's with 2600-3600 students. Excellent idea!

Reactions: IgorStL
It's not like Benet hasn't been to back to back 7a state semi finals so along with enrollment they're also fairly successful

Agreed and they've been killing recruiting in DuPage County. They're junior class is loaded. Personal opinion but I just see them pointing to Naz and Montini's rings and crying fairness. HAVING SAID THAT I would love to see them in the same division as Naz and Montini though. I think that would be great fun. It would bump Rice to the Marist division which would also be great.

Success comes and goes. You should play in a division with similar enrollments and therefore your div 1 is perfect for Benet.

In the past Benet has always played in conferences with most of the schools having much smaller enrollments like the Suburban Catholic Conference and the ESCC.

They have gone far in the 7a playoffs two years in a row now. They need to finally land in a conference/division with other larger enrollment schools and pull their own weight for a change.

Success comes and goes. You should play in a division with similar enrollments and therefore your div 1 is perfect for Benet.

In the past Benet has always played in conferences with most of the schools having much smaller enrollments like the Suburban Catholic Conference and the ESCC.

They have gone far in the 7a playoffs two years in a row now. They need to finally land in a conference/division with other larger enrollment schools and pull their own weight for a change.

I think they're equipped to do so. Again, Junior class has some monsters. Assumed their lower levels have continued the trend. I think it would still be a fun crossover thing to have them with Montini/Naz/ even Fenwick. Similar recruiting pools for all schools.

I think they're equipped to do so. Again, Junior class has some monsters. Assumed their lower levels have continued the trend. I think it would still be a fun crossover thing to have them with Montini/Naz/ even Fenwick. Similar recruiting pools for all schools.

No your Brother Rice. Naz, Montini and ND is perfect with some great places to travel and watch football. Montini would have one game nearby, travel South for a game and North for another game. This would be awesome!

Okay, I might just be small town folk, but I don't understand the Catholic/private schools' interest in four team conferences/divisions? No automatic bids to the playoffs? I could understand the theory that with only 3 conference games everybody can schedule 3 cupcakes and two cream puffs and make the playoffs...But instead of cupcakes and cream puffs they cross-schedule everybody and beat the tar out of each other...If they are going to cross-schedule everyone anyway why not 6 team divisions with automatic bids?

Reactions: Jchill-1

Lining those games up on a weekly fashion becomes the problem as teams have conference commitments.

Okay, I might just be small town folk, but I don't understand the Catholic/private schools' interest in four team conferences/divisions? No automatic bids to the playoffs? I could understand the theory that with only 3 conference games everybody can schedule 3 cupcakes and two cream puffs and make the playoffs...But instead of cupcakes and cream puffs they cross-schedule everybody and beat the tar out of each other...If they are going to cross-schedule everyone anyway why not 6 team divisions with automatic bids?
Smaller divisions allow for more crossover scheduling. More cross over scheduling allows to adjust year to year to AD concerns.

Smaller divisions allow less wholesale division changes every two year adjustment period.

Smaller divisions allow better demographic or statistical groups with tighter variances.

Remember, this has been tried before and didn’t work. One of the reasons was that they couldn’t address AD concerns on a timely basis and problems were allowed to fester.

Smaller divisions allow that agility to address AD concerns. No league will be perfect for every or any participant but if you can address some of the miscalculations quicker than it’s a better experience for all members.

Reactions: IgorStL and pjjp
Smaller divisions allow for more crossover scheduling. More cross over scheduling allows to adjust year to year to AD concerns.

Smaller divisions allow less wholesale division changes every two year adjustment period.

Smaller divisions allow better demographic or statistical groups with tighter variances.

Remember, this has been tried before and didn’t work. One of the reasons was that they couldn’t address AD concerns on a timely basis and problems were allowed to fester.

Smaller divisions allow that agility to address AD concerns. No league will be perfect for every or any participant but if you can address some of the miscalculations quicker than it’s a better experience for all members.
Rock....you should be employed to write the press release, when this new conference grouping is announced.

Presently, there is mutual interest between the CCL and ESCC to merge for football.

Motivating factors are to group schools (4 divisions of 6) based on enrollment and success as well as ensuring the lower level programs that do/will exist have a full slate of games. Not all CCL have frosh/soph and the ESCC adopted the JV/V format this season even though some schools can field all 3.

The CCL voted unanimously (14-0), yesterday. There were some dissenting opinions but a unified front at the end of the day.

ESCC votes Oct 2. Call your local alderman.

The unanimous votes always make me laugh the schools that are against should just vote against it rather then appease the other schools and act like everything is rainbows and unicorns.

When the DVC reconfigured a few years back half the schools were against it from the beginning but voted unanimously give a unified front while already looking at other options. If the CCL school that are against it voted against it I think it gives them more of a voice moving forward.

I understand that it looks like groupings of four is the way it is going to be. However, here is what I would like to see:

A
Loyola
Notre Dame
Carmel
Pat's
Viator

B
Montini
Ignatius
Fenwick
Naz
MCC

C
Rita
Rice
Laurence
MC
DLS

D
Marist
Benet
Marmion
PC
JCA

E
DePaul
Leo
St. Joes
Marian

Teams from the first four divisions play a four game division schedule, and one game against a team from each of the other three divisions. That leaves each team having to schedule two other games. Those other two games could be against teams from within the conference or outside of it.

Teams from the E division play a three game division schedule and scramble to find six non con games. Sorry guys. Blame the schools that ditched the CCL for the Metro. Or bring back ACC and Chicago Hope, add Christ the King next year, and your division champ will be an automatic qualifier in your seven team division, and you only need to find three non con games.

Reactions: 3OrangeWhips
I keep hearing its going to be 6 divisions with 4 teams each. There will be 3 crossovers and that will leave schools to play 2 nonconference games.

Heard the divisions are going to be set by enrollment and the number of boys in coed schools and how many boys are in the football program. ALso hearing the they are considering a school's football tradition when they put divisions together.

A thousand?????? What planet did you fly in from?

More like 600.
MC mystique...for the record...Montini has 275 boys.

Unified Catholic League in the greater Chicago area would be interesting but a logistical nightmare due to the varying location, size, success of programs. More successful football programs struggle with non-conference scheduling, hence, several taking what they can get (cupcakes) in week 1 and 2.

Reactions: Gene K.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT