ADVERTISEMENT

Ref question

FballDaddy

Gold Member
Sep 5, 2018
Refs called an illegal block below the waist/illegal block penalty tonight in our DEFENSE (signal was two hands chopped at the knees, so thats what I am going with). When is that ever a possibility for a defensive penalty? I know our dline submarines on alit if olays and this was a 2pt try.

Reactions: Gestalt45
Illegal block below the waist has the same indicators for the defense as it does the offense. Needs to be immediate at the snap, while the ball is in the zone, with players who started in the zone.

As mentioned above, without seeing the play, I’m guessing a lead blocker was taken out.

Saw the DLine below the waist call 2 years ago in round one Rolling Meadows at St. Rita. It happened on a couple long St. Rita runs and thought they were calling them back with offensive holding but it was called defensive block below the waist or whatever the technical term is. I don’t know if it was a point of emphasis in 2021 but it was the first time I’ve seen it called and it was called multiple times that night

Reactions: Gestalt45
Illegal block below the waist has the same indicators for the defense as it does the offense. Needs to be immediate at the snap, while the ball is in the zone, with players who started in the zone.

As mentioned above, without seeing the play, I’m guessing a lead blocker was taken out.
When did this become a rule? I remember it happening all the time when I was playing and never saw a flag.

Reactions: RockSoup
This be became a rule a few years back. The rule immediate And in the tackle box are the keys. Seem it a lot on kickoffs and points. Rule applies whether it’s a defensive or offensive player

This couldn’t be more false. Your description is not even close to the rule. I award you no points and request you don’t post in response to rules questions again. Please refer to stripes post for the correct answer to this question

You couldn't be more arrogant. which is fine in and of itself, but you need to be correct 100% of the time, which you clearly are not.

So I punish you to 500 hours of JUGs (Judgement under God) which can be spent contemplating how many threads are in a typical penalty flag.

If you have the urge to look it up, which I doubt you do. It's rule 2-3-8, most recently updated in 2022.

Actually Mr. King MJ the rule you have is technically called a chop block.
As far as a block below the waist it can happen by both the defense and the offense. It has been a rule for the whole 30 years I have been officiating . They just have tweeked the "tackle box" a few times

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT