ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Question

penlight

May 29, 2001
Joliet
Recognizing this is very subjective, when a QB is in Shotgun, how much body movement and jerking his body can he do while barking the signal/snap counts in his effort to draw the Defense offside? At what point is the movement a motion/procedure penalty?

Last edited:
Reactions: scrapper329
Recognizing this is very subjective, when a QB is in Shotgun, how much body movement and jerking his body can do while barking the signal/snap counts in his effort to draw the Defense offside? At what point is it the movement a motion/procedure penalty?
Great Question

Reactions: Gestalt45
Yes great question. Pointing and moving around is not an issue it’s when they make motions simulating the snap is where the issue comes. It’s a pretty gray area but when it’s anything that could be simulating a snap that’s when we get em

Yes great question. Pointing and moving around is not an issue it’s when they make motions simulating the snap is where the issue comes. It’s a pretty gray area but when it’s anything that could be simulating a snap that’s when we get em
As we are seeing Shotgun formations more regularly, I have noticed this strategy more frequently at the College & High School levels.
IMHO, it is a cheap maneuver as if a Lineman even twitches the flags fly, the QBs seem to be getting a pass on both when a Defender jumps and even when they don’t.
Again, just my opinion but regardless of what the Defender does, a flag should be thrown and a loss of yardage penalty applied.

As we are seeing Shotgun formations more regularly, I have noticed this strategy more frequently at the College & High School levels.
IMHO, it is a cheap maneuver as if a Lineman even twitches the flags fly, the QBs seem to be getting a pass both when a Defender jumps and even when they don’t.
Again, just my opinion but regardless of what the Defender does, a flag should be thrown and a loss of yardage penalty applied.
Definitely agree with what you're saying, but aren't defensive linemen taught from the time they start playing football to watch the ball? If they're watching the ball then what the QB does shouldn't matter.

Definitely agree with what you're saying, but aren't defensive linemen taught from the time they start playing football to watch the ball? If they're watching the ball then what the QB does shouldn't matter.
No doubt, however IMHO, when intentionally trying to deceive the Defender a flag should drop.

Reactions: 4Afan
Typically as a crew if we see something that could cross the line we speak to the player and coach. That usually calms it down. If it continues or gets inconsistent and sparks the defense to encroach, then we will flag the offensive player

Reactions: 4Afan
Typically as a crew if we see something that could cross the line we speak to the player and coach. That usually calms it down. If it continues or gets inconsistent and sparks the defense to encroach, then we will flag the offensive playe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT