ADVERTISEMENT

Ref Question

LakeCtyNewt

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
Curious on the play in the Minooka-Barrington game. I thought it was legal but some are telling me it wasn’t.

Minooka snaps the ball, the left Guard pulls and actually backs up. Quarterback throws a backward pass to the guard and he scores what ends up being the game winning touchdown.

The argument from Barrington is that the player was not eligible. I disagreed and said he was because it was a backwards pass.

Can someone of a refereeing nature confirm? Again I thought the play by its design was legal.

Curious on the play in the Minooka-Barrington game. I thought it was legal but some are telling me it wasn’t.

Minooka snaps the ball, the left Guard pulls and actually backs up. Quarterback throws a backward pass to the guard and he scores what ends up being the game winning touchdown.

The argument from Barrington is that the player was not eligible. I disagreed and said he was because it was a backwards pass.

Can someone of a refereeing nature confirm? Again I thought the play by its design was legal.
I think the pass was to the offensive tackle that was covered by the receiver. Seems like it's a legal play simply because it was a backward pass.

It's not a pass it is a lateral or can be called at pitch even if it is thrown over hand.

That’s why I thought it was legal. Couldn’t see where 55 was lined up. Looked like at guard but he was on the other side of the field from where I was standing. And my feet were frozen

Just saw a replay, kid caught the ball at the ten, quarterback was at the 11 plus. So that’s a forward pass to an ineligible receiver. Unless that’s legal too since it’s behind the line of scrimmage. Guess I need a ruling on that.

Just saw a replay, kid caught the ball at the ten, quarterback was at the 11 plus. So that’s a forward pass to an ineligible receiver. Unless that’s legal too since it’s behind the line of scrimmage. Guess I need a ruling on that.
Well if that's the case the officials may have blown it. Anyone can receive a lateral or pitch. You see it the end of a game all the time. Rather than be tackled to end a game a player from a team that is losing will lateral to a team mate. And on and on.

Not sure if it was forward or not. Very similar to the Music City Miracle. Both were right on the 10/11 yard line.

Not sure if it was forward or not. Very similar to the Music City Miracle. Both were right on the 10/11 yard line.

Exactly what I thought. The interesting thing was the officials came over to the Barrington sideline. One said he reported as a receiver which in HS you can’t do. The other said it was clearly a backwards pass and the other didn’t say he had a good look because he was on the far sideline from the play.

Love to see the replay. We were standing next to each other and the play was on the far side of the field and it was hard to tell. In my opinion, Barrington should have called a time out to get the officials to come over and discuss the play. Had the won the argument and the officials ruled in their favor, Barrington gets their timeout back.

It did appear that one official was ready to agree with them. But that was AFTER the extra point was kicked and then the played could not be changed.

If the pass was backwards any player can catch. There is no reporting in hs football and I would find it hard to believe that a)someone would even try to report a player. And even if they did I think reporting the guard as “eligible “ would throw up some red flags and not catch the D off guard b) I think barrington coaches would lose it once hearing the report and assume not let that play get off c) I know there’s a lot of doubting of the refs but I’d say 99.9% of hs refs know you can’t report a player to be eligible. As for calling the timeout to discuss the call, if it’s a rule interpretation then yes they can get that TO back but if it’s judgement like if the pass was forward or backward you’re not gonna win that

Edgy just posted Comcast replay and it looks like a lateral. QB is at 10 and receiver catches it around the 11.

clearly a lateral from the replay but what an effort by #24 to keep the big guy out of the end zone.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT