ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting question

Here is a link to the LWE Camps (all sports).
https://s3.amazonaws.com/pubtemp/live/content/LWE/documents/20170525124519.pdf

So godfthr53,please explain the following:
1. How this is the same as one coach calling one player "mentioning the youth's skill at a certain sport and how that kid would "fit in" at that high school"?
2. How this is different from all other high school sport camps in Illinois?
3. How this in anyway violates rule 3.070-3.073?
There is no difference at all. And I never said it was illegal as it stands. Just like you assumed all coaches do is talk about their team to make the phone call illegal I assumed it was talked at the camp as well. Since that's all coaches do. I'm sure none of them talk academics or things that actually matter. Which would make the conversation legal.

can a highschool coach from a private school call the parents of an 8th grader and recruit their kid into that private school? Specifically mentioning the youth's skill at a certain sport and how that kid would "fit in" at that highschool?

Godfthr did you actually read what Downers dad wrote? I include it above for your reference. Especially the part about mentioning the youth's skill at a certain sport.

You are comparing that to a youth camp that kids go to voluntarily.

That says everything about where your head is at. I'm sorry for you.

Godfthr did you actually read what Downers dad wrote? I include it above for your reference. Especially the part about mentioning the youth's skill at a certain sport.

You are comparing that to a youth camp that kids go to voluntarily.

That says everything about where your head is at. I'm sorry for you.
Yes I read it and explained earlier that dd left a very gray area. Nobody knows if anything else was said. Which I originally stated. Mention academics and sports makes the call completely legal. You've had this private hatred and agenda for years. LWE has a pretty good program they obviously have the recipe to fight off provi. Just leave it alone.

I see that you are new so just to enlighten you. The public vs private debate is a hot button issue that has been argued here for years and gets heated at times.

BigLatte coming at me in TWO separate threads. I'm new to the boards, but not new to high school football. I'm well aware of the heated nature of the argument. But thanks for your help big guy, I'm more of a bigBlackCoffee myself. Our differences are what make us unique!

Yes I read it and explained earlier that dd left a very gray area. Nobody knows if anything else was said. Which I originally stated. Mention academics and sports makes the call completely legal. You've had this private hatred and agenda for years. LWE has a pretty good program they obviously have the recipe to fight off provi. Just leave it alone.

It's funny that whenever someone mentions the garbage that the private schools pull, they are then labeled a private school hater. I guess that's why most public school fans stay away from this place

this thread has bounced around between Recruiting and Transferring.

On the former - tough to prove verbal miscommunications and in my opinion you better have a lot more in the ammo box than a "he said, she said" for pressing the issue on any minor transgressions/missteps in the protocol with the Powers that be (IHSA).

On the latter (Transferring) - tough to blame some of the kids transferring these days. Several have NEVER played in a High School Playoff game and that might be one of the reasons a kid might look to move. Would be a shame to go all 3 (or 2) years of your time on Varsity and never sniff the HS playoffs. I am not saying that this reason alone is a great one to transfer schools - but I can understand a kid wanting to play in at least one HS playoff game during their HS career. If you on a team that you know has no shot at playoffs- I can see where they might have "thoughts"

Reactions: LHSTigers94
A catholic school coach once told me, and it made me laugh. "you name me 1 public school coach that wouldnt take the division 1 linebacker, or running back transferring to THEIR school. find me one public school guy that would say 'nope sorry, cant transfer here'."

It's funny that whenever someone mentions the garbage that the private schools pull, they are then labeled a private school hater. I guess that's why most public school fans stay away from this place

Yep. All I did was quote the rule book to someone who didn't know the rule and I'm a hater. They start equating a coach calling a player to summer camps that ALL schools have and say that its the same thing.

EDGY - this is why I say this is a private school board.

Yep. All I did was quote the rule book to someone who didn't know the rule and I'm a hater. They start equating a coach calling a player to summer camps that ALL schools have and say that its the same thing.

EDGY - this is why I say this is a private school board.
I think this is mostly a private school board because private schools simply have a more loyal fan base. This doesn't go for all public schools but the games I've been too are almost exclusively parents and students. Alumni and just fans of the program are scarce. Of course the big games draw outsiders but they just don't show up every single Friday night.

Reactions: Gene K.
I think this is mostly a private school board because private schools simply have a more loyal fan base. This doesn't go for all public schools but the games I've been too are almost exclusively parents and students. Alumni and just fans of the program are scarce. Of course the big games draw outsiders but they just don't show up every single Friday night.

Same can be said for a lot of private schools.

Reactions: ClownBaby
I think you could make a case for both. People love to hate catholic schools. Generally they have a point. I heard from a suburban baseball coach a certain catholic school is still calling his frosh center fielder trying to get him to transfer. BUT lets not paint the picture that all public schools are holier than thou. Lots of people break rules, thats why its important to find a man of character to lead your program.

Seriously? A quick look at the title games show the private almost always have the smallest crowds

2013 Batavia played and won the 6A title game. I was at the prior game, Montini SHG for the 5A championship. I swear the entire town of Batavia showed up. It was at a minimum twice the size of the Montini crowd.
Batavia had a great run that year and based on the crowd that showed up for the title game, I am sure that the Batavia fans for the title game weren't a one-time event.

2013 Batavia played and won the 6A title game. I was at the prior game, Montini SHG for the 5A championship. I swear the entire town of Batavia showed up. It was at a minimum twice the size of the Montini crowd.
Batavia had a great run that year and based on the crowd that showed up for the title game, I am sure that the Batavia fans for the title game weren't a one-time event.

Same as the 2015 6a/7a game. I was there, I think Montini brought a decent crowd to the 6a game and then Glenbard West showed up. Holy cow does that team travel. Dwarfed the Montini crowd.

So because how many people go to a title game equates to loyal fans ? Not even close. How many regular season games are packed. I've been to plenty regular season games and even playoff games at public schools that weren't even close to crowded. I think the Montini comparison is a bad one. They've been to the dance what 7 straight years. I would think crowd size gets smaller due to the been there factor. If public school fans are so passionate how come only a handful are represented here. Get on and start the conversation.

I feel like thats a big part of what fan loyalty is, isnt it? If you like a team you go to the games? As I said, Montini had a great following. Good number of people there in Dekalb compared to previous year's 5a game (first of the day) @ U of I.. I'm just saying when West and Libertyville rolled in, there were people everywhere. It really got crowded.

With Montini you are looking at a school with less than 900 kids and with the success factor they have been moved up to play against much bigger schools from towns with bigger populations. The regular games I have been at Montini have been well attended for a school that size and the crowd definitely gets bigger during the playoffs. Been to public school games and depending where it is at they are also well attended even at the 4a level where almost the whole town shows up for games. I tend to agree that on this board there seems to be more private school backers but the free board is open to everyone so you can't complain that the privates monopolize the board.

With Montini you are looking at a school with less than 900 kids and with the success factor they have been moved up to play against much bigger schools from towns with bigger populations. The regular games I have been at Montini have been well attended for a school that size and the crowd definitely gets bigger during the playoffs. Been to public school games and depending where it is at they are also well attended even at the 4a level where almost the whole town shows up for games. I tend to agree that on this board there seems to be more private school backers but the free board is open to everyone so you can't complain that the privates monopolize the board.

I was also at the Johnsburg v. Phillips game and the town of Johnsburg was ROCKIN. Had to park a mile away to get in. Small school, Public.

I think you could make a case for both. People love to hate catholic schools. Generally they have a point. I heard from a suburban baseball coach a certain catholic school is still calling his frosh center fielder trying to get him to transfer. BUT lets not paint the picture that all public schools are holier than thou. Lots of people break rules, thats why its important to find a man of character to lead your program.
So because how many people go to a title game equates to loyal fans ? Not even close. How many regular season games are packed. I've been to plenty regular season games and even playoff games at public schools that weren't even close to crowded. I think the Montini comparison is a bad one. They've been to the dance what 7 straight years. I would think crowd size gets smaller due to the been there factor. If public school fans are so passionate how come only a handful are represented here. Get on and start the conversation.

And the stands are packed at places like Aurora Central Catholic, DePaul Prep, Peru St Bede and Danville Schlarmann?

And the stands are packed at places like Aurora Central Catholic, DePaul Prep, Peru St Bede and Danville Schlarmann?

obviously not. I'm not even sure what we're arguing about anymore. "Recruiting question" turned into whatever this is.

Not all public school fans are passionate just like not ALL private fans are passionate. One is not greater than the other.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT