ADVERTISEMENT

Question for Officials or Rules Experts

rocketnation

Gold Member
Aug 12, 2017
In the Rochester-Chatham game last night, a Rochester WR caught about a 25 yard TD in the end zone that was called back on a penalty. The call went against the WR who caught the pass and the referee said it was for illegal touching, not offensive pass interference. The penalty was 5 yards and a loss of down. I’ve never heard of this penalty. Any idea on what the WR did to get this call?

In the Rochester-Chatham game last night, a Rochester WR caught about a 25 yard TD in the end zone that was called back on a penalty. The call went against the WR who caught the pass and the referee said it was for illegal touching, not offensive pass interference. The penalty was 5 yards and a loss of down. I’ve never heard of this penalty. Any idea on what the WR did to get this call?
Sounds like he ran out of bounds before catching the pass

He could have been covered on the line of scrimmage as well. If he was covered he should’ve been flagged for ineligible down field or illegal touching. Also if he went out of bounds on his own and came back in and caught the ball that would be the case as well.

He could have been covered on the line of scrimmage as well. If he was covered he should’ve been flagged for ineligible down field or illegal touching. Also if he went out of bounds on his own and came back in and caught the ball that would be the case as well.
Thanks. I was pretty sure he was the slot WR and caught the pass in the front part of the end zone, but there is no replay and maybe I missed something.

rule 9-6 If a player goes out of bounds (unless he is blocked out of bounds) If he returns it is illegal participation. So he must have been a covered receiver, which made him ineligible.

Reactions: rocketnation
If he was a covered by another receiver, it is actually 2 fouls, ineligible downfield and illegal touching. Both 5 yards but the illegal touching also has loss of down, so you go with that one.

Reactions: rocketnation
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT