ADVERTISEMENT

Q Of The Week: Who would be on your fav school's Mount Rushmore?

BHS The Brook- hard to have a Mount Rushmore (only four guys at such a great program) but I’ll give it a shot

John Ivlow (only State title)
Aaron Bailey
Todd Howard
Tuf Borland

BHS The Brook- hard to have a Mount Rushmore (only four guys at such a great program) but I’ll give it a shot

Aaron Bailey
Todd Howard
Tuf Borland

Robert Farmer?

Manteno:
Josh Gesky, LT (1st FBS scholarship)
Gavin Zimbelman, QB (Gagliardi finalist)
RJ Haines, Coach
Mike Laninga, RB/DB

Wilmington:
Damien Anderson, RB (NU, Cardinals)
Al Zlomie, LB/RB/E
Tony Vercelli, RB/LB
Owen Weaver, RB/LB
No need for a coach, as the Wildcat Mt. Rushmore anchors the north end of Howard Becker Field at Jeff Reents Stadium...:) opposite the Woods...

McNamara:
Thomas Guynes, LT (Michigan, Cardinals)
Tyjuan Hagler, LB (Cincinnati, Colts)
Mike Vickery, LB (Northwestern)
Kurt Belisle, LB (Notre Dame)
Again, the Irish Mt. Rushmore will anchor the north end of Rich Zinanni Stadium...Is it a problem that I put two current assistant coaches on the wall? Mac has so many possibilities...

Aaron Bailey
Todd Howard
Tuf Borland
One of the williams Brothers need to be on there. I know what happened with Kyle is unfortunate but if we're goin of soley high school career he was special

A couple of other CS8 teams I know pretty well.

SHG
Ken Leonard-Coach, 5 state titles and leader in all time wins as a coach
Albert Okwuegbunam TE/DE, 4th rd draft pick of Denver this year
Matt Mitrione DT, played for New York Giants
Malik Turner WR/DB, played at U of I and for Seattle Seahawks last year

The next four would be Gabe Green QB, Eric Peterman QB/WR who briefly played for the Chicago Bears, Kenni Burns RB, and Jim Rockford QB who became a DB at Oklahoma and played in the CFL.

Chatham Glenwood
Dan Rourke-Coach, this is a tough call between Rourke and Charlie Cottle who started the program in the 1970’s. But Rourke did coach the 1998 state championship team and took them to another title game in 2010.
Daniel Helm TE/LB, played at Duke and last year for the 49er’s
Ken Boyle TE/DE, 4-year starter at TE, played on ‘98 championship team and at U of I
Griff Jurgens QB, played on ‘98 team, had the winning TD against Bishop Mac and played at Northern Iowa

The next four would be Luke Lehnen QB, Monty Carbonell LB, Chris Ross RB, and Danny Hilby LB.

Last edited:

Aaron Bailey
Todd Howard
Tuf Borland
I would also put Acton on before Ivlow

Manteno:
RJ Haines, Coach
Mike Laninga, RB/DB

Wilmington:
Al Zlomie, LB/RB/E
Tony Vercelli, RB/LB
Owen Weaver, RB/LB
No need for a coach, as the Wildcat Mt. Rushmore anchors the north end of Howard Becker Field at Jeff Reents Stadium...:) opposite the Woods...

McNamara:
Again, the Irish Mt. Rushmore will anchor the north end of Rich Zinanni Stadium...Is it a problem that I put two current assistant coaches on the wall? Mac has so many possibilities...
Lee Lafayette from Mac?

Last edited:
Manteno:
RJ Haines, Coach
Mike Laninga, RB/DB

Wilmington:
Al Zlomie, LB/RB/E
Tony Vercelli, RB/LB
Owen Weaver, RB/LB

McNamara:
Belisle was a monster.

Time will tell with Bowie.
Are you 100% Loyola? Or will you consider FHS? I’ve been hearing a lot of kids in town have been looking to head to Loyola or Viator. The rise of lacrosse is the main reason. Viator has been plucking a ton of kids heading to Fremd and Palatine bc of that. They have a great parent recruiter over there! I’m sure you know the guy I’m talking about.

I got the board of education paddle from Buckley a few times. He was a mad man but great coach.

Lol
Gene
In middle school my Science teacher taught me a lesson with a wood ruler. His specialty was 10 whacks on each hand in front of the class. That really burned. Those days are long gone.

Reactions: Gene K.
Are you 100% Loyola? Or will you consider FHS? I’ve been hearing a lot of kids in town have been looking to head to Loyola or Viator. The rise of lacrosse is the main reason. Viator has been plucking a ton of kids heading to Fremd and Palatine bc of that. They have a great parent recruiter over there! I’m sure you know the guy I’m talking about.
I’ve been 100% a Rambler since I was 10 years old. Both Fremd and Palatine are terrific schools and great communities, but my kids will go to LA for the Jesuit education. If he wants to play football there, that would be great - totally up to my son. With my gentle encouragement, of course. My wife is from the SW burbs and her mom is very sick. If we were to move to be closer to her, which is possible, my son would go to MC.

With regard to the Viator supporter, I probably don’t know the guy. I’m not close to Viator. Viator’s athletics have really improved, especially lacrosse and hockey. However, their football program isn’t that good - as we all know. I don’t hear a lot of families around palatine talking about viator for football. Thought that would change a bit with Cole Kamet’s success. I do hear some chatter from some of the families around the area talking about sending their kids to LA for Lacrosse, but these are the really serious families. Their kids have trainers and individual coaching, etc. I’m all for More kids going to LA from my area, because the more kids that go to LA from here, the easier it is for my kid to get to and fro LA before he has his DL. That being said, I would never recruit a kid to go to LA. I’m not involved with the school anymore. Other than as a donor. Nonetheless, if families are interested I’m here to talk, or take the family to Wilmette on a beautiful fall Saturday. I’m a terrific ambassador. Sarkis for breakfast. Then head to campus for the Bowie50 reality tour. Followed by a trip to Meier’s for a few pops before the game. Go Ramblers!

I failed to add, that I would be honored if my son was able to play for and learn from Coach Sponsel. Great coach. Even better person.

Last edited:
I have a relative teaching at Viator and I asked her if Viator was getting any transfers. She said they were but the family had to sign up for the long run before they would consider taking a transfer. They were not taking kids, at least knowingly, for a semester or two.

Reactions: Gene K.
There will be multiple GREAT players/coaches not mentioned when trying to come up with a Mount Rushmore for schools like MC. That’s what’s great about it. Who would your 4 be? We could probably come up with 50+ different combinations of a Mt. Rushmore for MC and it’s always nice to hear about different players.
The MC version of Mt. Rushmore is near impossible. Especially when factoring in coaches and players.

The MC version of Mt. Rushmore is near impossible. Especially when factoring in coaches and players.

You definitely have to have Frank Lenti on there. The wins and titles. Coach from '84-'17. Synonymous with MC Football.

I would put Tom Carey on there. QB on the 1950 team for Terry Brennan, considered one of if not the best high school team ever. All-State, All-American went on to play at ND then was head coach of the 1960 Prep Bowl winners.

I think Tony Furjanic would have to be considered. Embodies the Bill Barz Era and rebirth of MC football after the downtrodden 70's. Member of MC 's 1st state title team in 1980. All-State on both offense and defense. Went on to captain at ND and played 3 years in NFL as LB.

I would personally put Jordan Lynch on there. One of my favorite all-time MC players, Heisman Finalist. Goes 14-0 in year 2 on the job and is taking MC to another level.

This version is not perfect. Great names left off ie Wally Fromhart, Elmer Angsman, Ziggy Czarobski, Frank Maloney, McNabb and Rice. While it doesn't go back to the 1920's and MC's first Prep Bowl title, it does encompass the decades of the 50's, 60's, 80's-Current. It includes 2 players who became head coach , 1 head coach, and 1 player who embody the birth, growth, development and preservation of MC Football.

You definitely have to have Frank Lenti on there. The wins and titles. Coach from '84-'17. Synonymous with MC Football.

I would put Tom Carey on there. QB on the 1950 team for Terry Brennan, considered one of if not the best high school team ever. All-State, All-American went on to play at ND then was head coach of the 1960 Prep Bowl winners.

I think Tony Furjanic would have to be considered. Embodies the Bill Barz Era and rebirth of MC football after the downtrodden 70's. Member of MC 's 1st state title team in 1980. All-State on both offense and defense. Went on to captain at ND and played 3 years in NFL as LB.

I would personally put Jordan Lynch on there. One of my favorite all-time MC players, Heisman Finalist. Goes 14-0 in year 2 on the job and is taking MC to another level.

This version is not perfect. Great names left off ie Wally Fromhart, Elmer Angsman, Ziggy Czarobski, Frank Maloney, McNabb and Rice. While it doesn't go back to the 1920's and MC's first Prep Bowl title, it does encompass the decades of the 50's, 60's, 80's-Current. It includes 2 players who became head coach , 1 head coach, and 1 player who embody the birth, growth, development and preservation of MC Football.

A couple of other CS8 teams I know pretty well.

SHG
Ken Leonard-Coach, 5 state titles and leader in all time wins as a coach
Albert Okwuegbunam TE/DE, 4th rd draft pick of Denver this year
Matt Mitrione DT, played for New York Giants
Malik Turner WR/DB, played at U of I and for Seattle Seahawks last year

The next four would be Gabe Green QB, Eric Peterman QB/WR who briefly played for the Chicago Bears, Kenni Burns RB, and Jim Rockford QB who became a DB at Oklahoma and played in the CFL.

Chatham Glenwood
Dan Rourke-Coach, this is a tough call between Rourke and Charlie Cottle who started the program in the 1970’s. But Rourke did coach the 1998 state championship team and took them to another title game in 2010.
Daniel Helm TE/LB, played at Duke and last year for the 49er’s
Ken Boyle TE/DE, 4-year starter at TE, played on ‘98 championship team and at U of I
Griff Jurgens QB, played on ‘98 team, had the winning TD against Bishop Mac and played at Northern Iowa

The next four would be Luke Lehnen QB, Monty Carbonell LB, Chris Ross RB, and Danny Hilby LB.

All.... Way too difficult for me in coming up with only four Cyclones. The first is easy of course with Coach Ken Leonard. Does one measure talent or success (wins) as a barometer for the players? Tricky.

I would put Kenni Burns (in my opinion the best rb to date out of the CS8) as a second choice.

One other for consideration in a very large group would be QB Bobby Brenneisen. Bobby at the freshman and sophomore level went 18-0. Then at the varsity level he and the team ran off 28 straight wins in 05 and 06 leading the Cyclones to back to back 5A state titles. Pretty cool not losing a game in your entire high school football career.

Fond memories as well during those two title runs. As much as I enjoy SHG beating public schools (sorry I can't help it lol) defeating Bishop Mac twice and Alleman and Marian in those two state finals was pretty fun. It must be a Catholic thing.... Ratsy

All.... Way too difficult for me in coming up with only four Cyclones. The first is easy of course with Coach Ken Leonard. Does one measure talent or success (wins) as a barometer for the players? Tricky.

I would put Kenni Burns (in my opinion the best rb to date out of the CS8) as a second choice.

One other for consideration in a very large group would be QB Bobby Brenneisen. Bobby at the freshman and sophomore level went 18-0. Then at the varsity level he and the team ran off 28 straight wins in 05 and 06 leading the Cyclones to back to back 5A state titles. Pretty cool not losing a game in your entire high school football career.

Fond memories as well during those two title runs. As much as I enjoy SHG beating public schools (sorry I can't help it lol) defeating Bishop Mac twice and Alleman and Marian in those two state finals was pretty fun. It must be a Catholic thing.... Ratsy
If I remember correctly as a Freshman, Burns dressed for the Frosh, JV, and Varsity games. Think he mostly returned kicks at the Varsity level. At the time, the SJR had abbreviated Frosh/JV box scores in their Monday edition. I looked at the SHG box scores one time on a Monday, and Burns had scored 10-12 touchdowns in just a week.

If I remember correctly as a Freshman, Burns dressed for the Frosh, JV, and Varsity games. Think he mostly returned kicks at the Varsity level. At the time, the SJR had abbreviated Frosh/JV box scores in their Monday edition. I looked at the SHG box scores one time on a Monday, and Burns had scored 10-12 touchdowns in just a week.

All.... Correct. Very few players in the past at the freshman level were able to break into the varsity for significant playing time.

One freshman that I thought last year should of been full time varsity (throw 100 balls his way lol) was Keshon Singleton. Ahhhh the rodent still plays that "what could of been" in his little mind if the kid would of never left the field on offense the entire season. As a wo I think he could of took the banging of varsity football. One never really knows but should he continue to work hard and stay healthy this one after his playing days are over might have a shot on the list. Ratsy

Last edited:

Aaron Bailey
Todd Howard
Tuf Borland
Extremely hard.

Maybe a Rushmore per position group. Or per decade...

Greg Williams, Aaron Bailey, Anthony Herron, Todd Howard

I don't even want to hit reply leaving off so many people who should clearly be on it.

Dean - great analysis. You are truly the walking encyclopedia of Mt Carmel football.

Reactions: Bowie50 and Gene K.
Extremely hard.

I don't even want to hit reply leaving off so many people who should clearly be on it.
The Brook could have Tailback Mt Rushmore.

Robert Farmer, Marcus Smith, Antoineo Harris, Dale Martin,

Extremely hard.

The fact that a player like Tuf Borland isn't on there is amazing. The Brook has had sooooo much talent. Incredible they only won it all once

Bones - great to have you back!
Thanks, MC63. Hope all is well for you
The Brook could have Tailback Mt Rushmore.

Robert Farmer, Marcus Smith, Antoineo Harris, Dale Martin,

Before my post I actually had a Rusmore per position. Your 4 are my 4. Some of the older guys will swear by Ernest Crank and Lamont White. I mean Iowa and Nebraska came and got them. And the Day brothers weren't slouches. Wish we couldve held on to Randle and JRZ.

The fact that a player like Tuf Borland isn't on there is amazing. The Brook has had sooooo much talent. Incredible they only won it all once

He was on my LB Rushmore. I really like the McLaurin kid and feel he could move into my top 4.

Thanks, MC63. Hope all is well for you

Before my post I actually had a Rusmore per position. Your 4 are my 4. Some of the older guys will swear by Ernest Crank and Lamont White. I mean Iowa and Nebraska came and got them. And the Day brothers weren't slouches. Wish we couldve held on to Randle and JRZ.

He was on my LB Rushmore. I really like the McLaurin kid and feel he could move into my top 4.
Randle may have been my favorite Hilltoper running back to watch.

MC Football.

Here's a flashback from '91, a year that's come up a lot recently. In any case, the Trib's Bob Sakamoto cites many of the names that Dean mentions, summarizing the history of MC football in one of his finest pieces, which reads more like an essay than a news article. If sportswriters were eligible for a place on Mount Rushmore, I'd vote for Bob. And for Bernie Lincicome, who wrote paragraphs that had an arc and a tight spiral.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-09-01-9103050903-story.html

In the unlikely event that anyone's forgotten, Sakamoto covered high school sports for more than 30 years in this town, and he did it with the same dedication and talent that he devoted to professional sports. Many of you will remember "The High School Extra" call-in show, which he produced from 1995-2005 on CLTV. Bob moved on from high school sports, but at least we still have Edgy.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm a geezer. My tag is taken from the character Blue in the movie "Old School." When I was still on the job, everyone called me Blue, even guys I didn't know.

I think that Sako is still alive, working for DePaul.

Yes, I'm a geezer. My tag is taken from the character Blue in the movie "Old School." When I was still on the job, everyone called me Blue, even guys I didn't know.

I think that Sako is still alive, working for DePaul.

He's with sports information at DePaul. I had a very nice encounter with him many years ago. I was trying to back into a very tight parking space at Loyola, and all of a sudden I hear a guy telling me to "cut left, back up some more", etc. It was Sako - a very nice guy. I think the Tribune lost something very special when he left.

Reactions: USD24 and Gene K.
Here's a flashback from '91, a year that's come up a lot recently. In any case, the Trib's Bob Sakamoto cites many of the names that Dean mentions, summarizing the history of MC football in one of his finest pieces, which reads more like an essay than a news article. If sportswriters were eligible for a place on Mount Rushmore, I'd register a vote for Bob.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1991-09-01-9103050903-story.html

In the unlikely event that anyone's forgotten, Sakamoto covered high school sports for more than 30 years in this town, and he did it with the same dedication and talent that he devoted to professional sports. Many of you will remember "The High School Extra" call-in show, which he produced from 1995-2005 on CLTV. Bob moved on from high school sports, but at least we still have Edgy.

Blue - thank you so much.

BTW, What year did you graduate?

Reactions: Blue Ruin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT