ADVERTISEMENT

Q Of The Week: Who would be on your fav school's Mount Rushmore?

Let me think a bit outside the box when it comes to MC. It's too easy to say Lenti, McNabb, Rice and Lynch. McNabb and Rice had great College and Pro Careers and Lynch was a Heisman Finalist and came back to win State as a Coach for MC, but I'm picking 3 players that really left there mark their entire time at MC....won multiple rings...and just dominated. Lenti is obviously there.....So I'll go with

Coach Frank Lenti- Can't have a MC Mount Rushmore without him

Don Dorham- MC All time leading rusher. 3 State Rings.

Mike McGrew- All time leading passer, ran the option to near perfection. 3 State Rings.

Jerry Schumacher- His senior year at OLB was the most dominating performance by a defensive player at MC I've seen. State Champion.

Hon Mention for Rushmore Part 2- Steve Filer.....Jalen Grant.....Kenenna Odeluga....Greg Owens
Jordan Lynch? Really? Zero mention?

No Wes Lunt? Wow...
If it was players only, Lunt would have been the fourth. It was a very tough call between Lunt and Grant because they were each a huge part of the other’s success. Grant was a very good starting DB for 2 years as well, that tipped it in his favor.

Dooley was a dominant 2-year starter at RB/LB with 37 TD’s his senior year. In 2012, he set the tone in one of the playoff games with a 98 yard score on his first carry. The other team never recovered.

I put Beatty in because no one in Rochester history had a Sophomore year like he had in 2019. I hope we get to see him at QB for a full fall 2021 season.

Certainly, Tom Carey and Ziggy Czarobski (you can google him) would be among the four.
There will be multiple GREAT players/coaches not mentioned when trying to come up with a Mount Rushmore for schools like MC. That’s what’s great about it. Who would your 4 be? We could probably come up with 50+ different combinations of a Mt. Rushmore for MC and it’s always nice to hear about different players.

Reactions: McCaravan
Lake Park
1. Scott Kellar (NIU, Indianapolis Colts)
2. Mike Panasiuk (Michigan State, Currently with LV Raiders)
3. Perrion Winfrey (Currently with Oklahoma Sooners)
4. Antonio Shenualt (U. of Minnesota)
I look forward to the debate from the one or two people (Where have you been LancerDB Coach?) on this board who follow Lake Park. I am not that old and no little about LP football prior to the mid1980's.

Thanks for the mention Anomaly. I have been watching this thread to see when it becomes about politics or about Nazareth!

And...I AM THAT OLD!

I like your four picks. They certainly are some of LP's best ever. I have been struggling to complete a final four. Since my memory stretches further into the past there are far more possibilities. I would probably go with:

Kurt Steger (Illinois) - the best pure passer I ever saw. I wish he had played in today's offenses.

Mike Degen (Northwestern) - He was a dominant nose man in the era of 5-2 defenses.

Nana Agyeman (Illinois) - A great athlete. Played DB for Illini and had size for NFL. Career derailed by a sight problem (Sad story!)

Mike Panasiuk (Michigan State) - dominant defensive lineman.

Others worth consideration along with your picks: Kwame Agyeman (Oregon); Chris Babyar (Illinois, NFL [Broncos]); and Gene Benhart (COD, Western Illinois, NFL [Colts])

Reactions: Anomalyout28
East Aurora

Kurt Becker
Ajarus Jones
Kevin Wilson
Mike Tosaw

They had several old timers from the early 1900's, including an NFL HOF'er (Frank Wickherst, Ralph Galloway, Frank Hanny and Andy Sabados)

Lincoln Way East (This should be a good debate)

Obviously Coach Zvonar is a lock, but I wanted to go with players on this one.

AJ Henning WR/RB
Anthony Kropp QB
Devin O'Rourke DE
Nick Allegretti OL

Just missed the cut: Adam Gettis OL, Kyle Langenderfer LB, Tom Fuessel QB, Al Mau CB, Ezra Thompson S

It's weird not picking Gettis since he played in the NFL, but his HS career was decent.

I would swap Gettis and Kropp. Adam was a first team all state player, was the first big recruit to a big 10 school and played in the NFL

Reactions: gw86
Jordan Lynch? Really? Zero mention?
Read it again. I went with the non obvious ones. But think about his high school career, did he have a better career then the three I mentioned? (I use career for lack of a better word). He was very talented and the toughest QB MC has ever had but he didn’t win or go to a State Championship as a starter, neither did McNabb, and Rice almost quit the team because he didn’t want to play defense his senior year. So while those three are the popular choices based upon their collegiate and professional careers, I’ll stick with mine based off their MC careers.

Reactions: caravan8
Great inclusion here. I had a hard time going with Bobby Sanders over Dorham. I also struggled with leaving Coach Dave off the list.
Bobby had a great career and was a true leader. Off the field he’s an even better person. He gave a lot back to MC too by coaching for years and being a great ambassador. I don’t know if Dorham has even been back to campus yet...but, based on their player accomplishments while at MC, I gave Dorham the slight nod.

Reactions: caravan8
I would swap Gettis and Kropp. Adam was a first team all state player, was the first big recruit to a big 10 school and played in the NFL

Valid points. However I would point out that Mike Cholipski went to Brown, Otto Linwood played at Miami-Ohio, and Kyle Bookhout went to Navy all before Gettis. But then after the 05 Title, they started getting more local colleges to notice the program.

I just think I put Kropp on there as the first QB to win a title for one of the best LWE teams. Every QB since has been compared to him from a pure passer ability (since they've kind of gone dual-threat).

Batavia

Piron/Holm - will be HOF'ers someday
Quin Urwiler - no doubter
Janzy/Weertz - dominated
Mike Neimac - relentless

HM's
Micah Coffey
Sam Barus
Tom Stuttle
Anthony Scaccia
Eric Peterson

All are state champions

Reactions: BataviaDogs1
BR
Coach Mitch
Peter Barounes
Johnny Bean
Probably Diehl for what he became after BR or Mark Donahue

JCA. Really tough to come up with 4. The easy picks are:

Gordie Gillespie-coach who started it all
Dan Sharp- coach who won 6 championships
Tom Thayer- NFL
Mike Alstott- NFL

IMO,there are a handful of JCA running backs who were as good or better than Alstott was in high school and a dozen great defensive players that could be on the list.

Tom Thayer- NFL
Mike Alstott- NFL

IMO,there are a handful of JCA running backs who were as good or better than Alstott was in high school and a dozen great defensive players that could be on the list.
Where's Rudy!!! :)

I'll say if he plays in Florida no. If his last HS was in Columbia Navy and white I'm counting him. I can't remember a QB from anywhere I liked watching more.
I can agree on all that.

If he plays though he can be our best QB ever, but on IMGs Rushmore.

Tyler will be a near lock come graduation

Tom Thayer- NFL
Mike Alstott- NFL

No disagreement from me on the picks though you may want to familiarize yourself with some of the 1950s Hilltopper teams

Reactions: USD24
Valid points. However I would point out that Mike Cholipski went to Brown, Otto Linwood played at Miami-Ohio, and Kyle Bookhout went to Navy all before Gettis. But then after the 05 Title, they started getting more local colleges to notice the program.

I just think I put Kropp on there as the first QB to win a title for one of the best LWE teams. Every QB since has been compared to him from a pure passer ability (since they've kind of gone dual-threat).

You’re correct about Cholipski and Linwood. There were several others on that first team that would have gone D1FBS had recruiters known where LWE was, none of them were recruited until late junior and senior year. They know now

Coach Gaspari?
I guess, coached for a long time, went to one state final and mentored current coaches but over all record doesn't seem to be Mt. Rushmore worthy..
In all fairness I didn't start getting into Batavia football until early 2000's so I'm just basing my opinion on what I have witnessed..

No Ken Anderson?
Didn't grow up in Batavia and someone already mentioned him.. In the grade school gym where my kids attended, real high up on one wall, are two of those 1980 posters of Ken Anderson and Dan Issel. That's when I found out that Ken Anderson was from Batavia.

I probably should've called it my 2000's Batavia Mt. Rushmore since that's all I know and still missed some great players I'm sure..

Last edited:
Didn't grow up in Batavia and someone already mention him.. In the grade school gym where my kids attended, real high up on one wall, are two of those 1980 posters of Ken Anderson and Dan Issel. That's when I found out that Ken Anderson was from Batavia.

I probably should've called it my 2000's Batavia Mt. Rushmore since that's all I know and still missed some great players I'm sure..
As a young kid watching that Superbowl, I just remember the local paper writing about it constantly.

Montini

Andriano
Bu -17 state titles
Izzy - 8 state titles in 10 years
Westerkamp
Superman (Benefiel) -4x state champ every year of hs.

Reactions: Gene K.
As a young kid watching that Superbowl, I just remember the local paper writing about it constantly.

Grew up in central Illinois and we only got the paper twice a week just for the corn and soybean futures:)

Heard that SB was a bad tailgate.

Montini

Andriano
B Westerkamp
J Westerkamp
Goebel

HM Joe Hyland, Mucha

Honorable Mention.-Embrey

-----

Transfer Ins Mount Rushmore

Lewis Borsellino
Jaleel Johnson
Jake Kapp
Nile Sykes
John Rhode
Nick Campanella
Mike Johnson

Reactions: Gene K.
@EdgyTim may I suggest all time mt. Rushmore as the question next week? I think 2 or maybe 3 are fairly obvious, but after that a lot of debate should ensue!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT