ADVERTISEMENT

Q Of The Week: Who would be on your fav school's Mount Rushmore?

EdgyTim

Staff
May 29, 2001
Channahon Illinois
Again this has been posted before but not in any sort of straight line question (or I simply missed it).

So which four names would sit atop your favorite school's football Mount Rushmore?

Post em here.

Reactions: Anomalyout28
No idea on Britt but I'd think Bruce Kay would have a spot? No? And yes coaches are included as well.
I didn’t think about coaches. Bruce Kay for sure. I believe Britt (79) set some temporary state passing records before going on to Ball State. I’m sure there are more but I’m starting up from my remembrance.

Rochester
Derek Leonard- HC
Zach Grant- WR/DB
Garret Dooley- RB/LB
Hank Beatty- WR/QB

If an expansion was considered, the next four would be Wes Lunt (QB), Nic Baker (QB), Evan Sembell (RB/LB), and Avante Cox (WR/DB).

Oswego -
Carl Hoinkes - HC (two state titles)
Ken Pickerall - former coach/AD and friend of the program
Joey Goodspeed - LB/RB - ND/NFL
Alex Magee - DT - Purdue/NFL (some off the field issues may bump him though)

HM - Rob Baxley, Noah Shannon, Tim Riley, Steven Frank and John Hugunin

Last edited:
Providence Catholic
Matt Senffner (HC 9 State Titles)
Eric Steinbach DE/TE Iowa/NFL
Pete Bercich LB/TE Notre Dame/NFL
Mile Boykin WR Notre Dame/NFL

Others Considered:
Matt Uremovich (LB) Georgia Tech
Patrick Ward (OL) Northwestern

Reactions: Gene K.
Fremd:

poorman
Schwantz
Lazowski
Tolzien
Sponsel

I believe the ‘92 team got the furthest of any fremd team. Semis I believe, but I could be totally wrong. Your thoughts @PowerI66 ?

Last edited:
Palatine:
Joe Petricca - HC
Mike Burden - LB (Ohio State)
Sergio Lund - QB/DB/Coach
Zach Oles - QB

Others: Len Rhode, Yaacov Yisrael, Jesse Bobbit, Bubba Mariani

Mike Burden is the best high school player I ever saw/ played against, he was on a whole different level then anyone else.

Lincoln Way East (This should be a good debate)

Obviously Coach Zvonar is a lock, but I wanted to go with players on this one.

AJ Henning WR/RB
Anthony Kropp QB
Devin O'Rourke DE
Nick Allegretti OL

Just missed the cut: Adam Gettis OL, Kyle Langenderfer LB, Tom Fuessel QB, Al Mau CB, Ezra Thompson S

It's weird not picking Gettis since he played in the NFL, but his HS career was decent.

After a kid graduates school, can we actually start telling the truth about accomplishments compared to potential?

(I remember getting a time out for pointing out that X-player would never play in the backfield of a Big Ten he was committed to, but that was championship week. I ultimately was correct.)

North Chicago

HC Mike Durrah
Michael "The Burner (chargers, falcons)
O'Brien Schofield (Seahawks, Cardinals, Falcons)
Thaddeus Coleman (Cardinals/Jets, 10 yrs in CFL)
Johnny Johnson (Illinois, Detroit Lions)

Reactions: kpjasion
Let me think a bit outside the box when it comes to MC. It's too easy to say Lenti, McNabb, Rice and Lynch. McNabb and Rice had great College and Pro Careers and Lynch was a Heisman Finalist and came back to win State as a Coach for MC, but I'm picking 3 players that really left there mark their entire time at MC....won multiple rings...and just dominated. Lenti is obviously there.....So I'll go with

Coach Frank Lenti- Can't have a MC Mount Rushmore without him

Don Dorham- MC All time leading rusher. 3 State Rings.

Mike McGrew- All time leading passer, ran the option to near perfection. 3 State Rings.

Jerry Schumacher- His senior year at OLB was the most dominating performance by a defensive player at MC I've seen. State Champion.

Hon Mention for Rushmore Part 2- Steve Filer.....Jalen Grant.....Kenenna Odeluga....Greg Owens

Let me think a bit outside the box when it comes to MC. It's too easy to say Lenti, McNabb, Rice and Lynch. McNabb and Rice had great College and Pro Careers and Lynch was a Heisman Finalist and came back to win State as a Coach for MC, but I'm picking 3 players that really left there mark their entire time at MC....won multiple rings...and just dominated. Lenti is obviously there.....So I'll go with

Coach Frank Lenti- Can't have a MC Mount Rushmore without him

Don Dorham- MC All time leading rusher. 3 State Rings.

Mike McGrew- All time leading passer, ran the option to near perfection. 3 State Rings.

Jerry Schumacher- His senior year at OLB was the most dominating performance by a defensive player at MC I've seen. State Champion.

Hon Mention for Rushmore Part 2- Steve Filer.....Jalen Grant.....Kenenna Odeluga....Greg Owens

Certainly, Tom Carey and Ziggy Czarobski (you can google him) would be among the four.

Lake Park
1. Scott Kellar (NIU, Indianapolis Colts)
2. Mike Panasiuk (Michigan State, Currently with LV Raiders)
3. Perrion Winfrey (Currently with Oklahoma Sooners)
4. Antonio Shenualt (U. of Minnesota)
I look forward to the debate from the one or two people (Where have you been LancerDB Coach?) on this board who follow Lake Park. I am not that old and know little about LP football prior to the mid1980's.

I picked Shenault over Jacob Panasiuk (who is one of the top edge rushers in the country at Michigan State) because of HS productivity. Shenault was the best HS safety I have seen at playing the run and dominated games flying up and making tackles as if he was a LB. There were games were teams maybe ran away from Jacob and he didn't have the effect Antonio did. If LP played him both ways, say at tight end, he would have dominated games like Antonio.

Last edited:
Reactions: rocketnation
I'd put Mariani or Bobbit ahead of Lund, but otherwise good list.
It's hard for me to do that when the guy has both coached on varsity for many years and played so well. But who knows, Bobbit may come back. He's coaching at Washington State right now

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT