ADVERTISEMENT

Q: 5 High School fields/stadiums most in need of a renovation

Lane Tech? The field that got renovated in 2007/8?
It also hosts 12 varsity football games a week during the season. In fact, Lane football can't even practice on the field because it is always being used for soccer the rest of the year with no one taking care of anything.

Constant use + no maintenance = dump. This includes the stands/restrooms/locker rooms.

De La Salle is under a complete renovation...new locker rooms, new weight room, Alumni center overlooking brand new Turf field. Football field and Baseball field will be all turf with brand new entry way. Once complete, I cannot believe there will be better facilities in the surrounding area.

Before it closed Luther South would have made the list.The field itself wasn't too bad but the stands were horrible.They had wooden planks you had to walk across covering up a big, deep sink hole.Also again I know these are now stadiums but Parsons Fields.Whew.Cinders.Similar to National Starch Little League that was next to Campbell Soup.If Hanson is so bad which it is why isn't anything being done about it.Argo said the fields are supposed to be checked for safety each year.In fact Argo did some fixing on it's nice field and had to open at Reavis last year vs Wheaton St.Francis because of this.So how does Hanson get a free pass.Lane should have turf

What about Hales' old stadium (field, stands and facilities only)? While some might get Hope Academy shell-shock getting of the bus, it might be a good facility for mid South (Kenwood, King, Dunbar, DuSable) and smaller charter level CPS.

How is Duchon Field/ GW not mentioned yet? A team who is always in the playoffs yet has to play at other high schools for home games due to field conditions.
Looks nice from far away, but up close you definitely have things that need UPGRADING. Hopefully it could happen without losing its feel.

1.Lincoln Way North 2.Joliet East 3.Kankakee Eastridge

If you are going to disparage school stadiums at closed schools like LWN and Joliet East, you miss the point. Eastridge is now Kankakee Junior High. The only reminder of its days of having a stadium is the scoreboard...Now that Kankakee High has turf, I believe no one uses the stadium at all anymore (apparently the soccer team was practicing there before). Grass has overtaken the cinders in the track...apparently KJHS isn't even using the track. The two Kankakee youth football league fields are much nicer than the old Eastridge facility...

Maybe you should consider some 1A school facilities where the school no longer plays football by itself, as eroding enrollment has forced a co-op with a neighbor...Lexington, with two 1A runner-ups since 2000, is a likely pick. Or Danville Schlarman, who has been co-oping with Hoopeston for years after being a power in the 80's and 90's...

Again can be either an on campus facility, public stadium or third party....anywhere that IHSA football is currently played.

Post the 5 most in need of a fix/renovations here.

It's not in need of a complete overhaul by any stretch, but the visitor stands at OPRF are totally inadequate. They are so small, I began to sit on the expansive home stands two years ago.

How is Duchon Field/ GW not mentioned yet? A team who is always in the playoffs yet has to play at other high schools for home games due to field conditions.
Looks nice from far away, but up close you definitely have things that need UPGRADING. Hopefully it could happen without losing its feel.
It was mentioned already

Reactions: jeeprushLB
1.Lincoln Way North 2.Joliet East 3.Kankakee Eastridge
I don't know if Joliet East would qualify as the nicest not in use. They closed many years ago. The building is now the Joliet Job Corps Center. The stadium is in back but can be viewed from the road. However, you can't get a real good look unless you pull into the parking lot. I don't think there is too much over growth of weeds, etc., but I can't be sure.

I was told they play some soccer games there. I don't know who plays these games, meaning I don't know if it's an organization of some kind, or pick up games. I think the lights are still there but I have no idea if they work anymore or not. Been a while since I drove past there on Mills Rd., but it did look somewhat like a grave yard.

Wish I could give you more info. But LWN has to be the nicest not in use for sure.

I don't know if Joliet East would qualify as the nicest not in use. They closed many years ago. The building is now the Joliet Job Corps Center. The stadium is in back but can be viewed from the road. However, you can't get a real good look unless you pull into the parking lot. I don't think there is too much over growth of weeds, etc., but I can't be sure.

I was told they play some soccer games there. I don't know who plays these games, meaning I don't know if it's an organization of some kind, or pick up games. I think the lights are still there but I have no idea if they work anymore or not. Been a while since I drove past there on Mills Rd., but it did look somewhat like a grave yard.

Wish I could give you more info. But LWN has to be the nicest not in use for sure.

Drove by Eastridge/KJHS and Joliet East/Job corps in the last couple of days to check out the condition of the facilities...Last saw KJHS about a month ago when I went to a community play in the auditorium, and at that point the grass had overtaken the track. Driving by today, there is clearly a oval being worn into the grass from the track team, and there was a small set of bleachers by the west side of the track that wasn't there last time...The dandelions are the dominant feature of the field...

Joliet East I had never driven by before...property seems well maintained, track clearly defined, and bleachers & light standards are still in place...surprised that the bleachers are on the east side of the stadium instead of the west...from a distance appeared nicer than Peotone...lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT