ADVERTISEMENT

Q: 2 weeks out , what team is the biggest favorite to win its class?

King MJ

Jul 22, 2001
LWBeast, Phillips, IC Catholic would appear to be the front runners.

If you had to bet your life savings on one team to win it all this year, who would it be?

At this point, I think I'd go with IC Catholic, narrowly over Beast.

Not sure I can see anyone in 4A (maybe Rochester) even giving IC a game.

Montini in 5A maybe Sterling or Hillcrest give them a game but they will be big favorites over both and other then that they are winning by running clock.

Phillips will be challenged in 6A Cary Grove, Prairie Ridge and Richards are all pick em games to me.

Last edited:
8A - LWE championship to lose; as we all know the only way they lose is by self destructing

7A - Batavia, MC, ESL all the most consistent; don’t let ESLs 2 losses fool you; Naz showed vulnerability against Marist but still is a strong contender; BR has to prove they can win the big one which puts them in the “risk” categories even get to Thanksgiving weekend; Simeon is a sleeper but CPS teams tend to run out of gas along the journey; if I had to pick the final it would be MC vs Batavia: winner is a coin toss; the next 2 weeks might clear the picture more

6A - not sold that Phillips is top dog; CG has been the most consistent as has PR - this weekend will clear the picture on who is the better team; Richards is right up there, only downside is their weaker conference schedule which does not allow them to play against higher caliber teams before playoffs which could do them in along the journey, same applies to Willowbrook, softer conference not a true test

5A - is Washington 5A or 6A? If 6A then they will have a tougher time getting to the podium; if 5A then they have better chance however Montini, Sterling, Hillcrest or Highland has what it takes. I’d give Montini the edge due to the stronger schedule they play however we should know a lot more about Montini after the next 2 weeks as they finish out their CCL Blue schedule.

No comments in 1A through 4A since I don’t know much about the teams in these classes.

IC in 4A is clearly the favorite...IC - Rochester is the likely title game.

McNamara, if they are in 3A, is clearly the favorite...

Mac in 4A...hmmm...if they go south, IC - Mac rematch for the title...

8A - LWE championship to lose; as we all know the only way they lose is by self destructing

7A - Batavia, MC, ESL all the most consistent; don’t let ESLs 2 losses fool you; Naz showed vulnerability against Marist but still is a strong contender; BR has to prove they can win the big one which puts them in the “risk” categories even get to Thanksgiving weekend; Simeon is a sleeper but CPS teams tend to run out of gas along the journey; if I had to pick the final it would be MC vs Batavia: winner is a coin toss; the next 2 weeks might clear the picture more

6A - not sold that Phillips is top dog; CG has been the most consistent as has PR - this weekend will clear the picture on who is the better team; Richards is right up there, only downside is their weaker conference schedule which does not allow them to play against higher caliber teams before playoffs which could do them in along the journey, same applies to Willowbrook, softer conference not a true test

5A - is Washington 5A or 6A? If 6A then they will have a tougher time getting to the podium; if 5A then they have better chance however Montini, Sterling, Hillcrest or Highland has what it takes. I’d give Montini the edge due to the stronger schedule they play however we should know a lot more about Montini after the next 2 weeks as they finish out their CCL Blue schedule.

No comments in 1A through 4A since I don’t know much about the teams in these classes.
IC vs Rochester unless he meet prior. IC the favorite

Aurora Christian is under the radar because of the schedule they play... but in 1A, I don't know who will challenge them.

Montini in 5A maybe Sterling or Hillcrest give them a game but they will be big favorites over both and other then that they are winning by running clock.

Phillips will be challenged in 6A Cary Grove, Prairie Ridge and Richards are all pick em games to me.

Next 2 weeks will really tell the tale for Cary vs PRidge and Nap C.

Can't believe all the Phillips Kool aide drinkers..

Has Phillips actually beaten a good IL team this year?

Mount Carmel. Frank lenti built team ,coached by lynch and Frank's holdovers.

Has anyone watched Rochester THIS YEAR?

Derek should legit be named a Saint if they win it this year.

One thing for sure: Nobody will out coach him offensively, but you still have to have the horses. As far as a 4A coach dialing up a defense against him, I'm not sure. Remember, we're talking 4A here, not some 7A or 8A teams which I'm sure could shut down whatever he devises!!

In 4A, IC vs Rochester is a match up that most small school fans have wanted for the past 3 years. Maybe Rochester is down, maybe they'd be better off in 5A with no IC to deal with.

I've admired how talented IC has been the past few years. I'm not sure if this year's version is better than 2016, but it seems like they are slightly better than last year.

Also, are we discounting BMac here or just assuming they go 3A?

IC is big and fast. Rochester is neither of those things - nor do they have the four-year starter back there this year. Derek is brilliant, but this year is more about Jimmy and Joe than X and O.

Can't say that I know a ton about this year's version of Rochester other than their results.
I agree that if they are severely outgunned in the talent department, coaching won't matter - which is true every year.

LWE's playoff run will be interesting. I've said it a few times, and I'll say it again: they are the most prohibitive favorite in the largest class since the expansion to 8 classes. However, it is 8A, so there will be at least one unexpectedly tough game (like St. Chuck's East last year), probably more.

Reactions: JCHILLTOPPERS
Although Sterling still has a chance of making it they had a much better chance before they lost their 2 best running backs who played both sides of the ball, I woukd now have to give Montini the sound edge to make it in the North bracket and should beat Washington soundly in the state game if that’s how it plays out.

It’s crazy to hear that the Metro Suburban Conference has potential favorites in 1A, 3A, and 4A. Tell that to someone living in 2010 and see how much they laugh at you. Gotta love realignment

Reactions: iamgroot
So, lets say it comesdown to IC vs. Bmac, not at IC andIC is down a couple of starters. Is IC still the overwhelming favorite?

Hillcrest is Looking like my favorite to win 5A Speed Kills

the best team they played all year was Rich Central and they only won by 10, Kaneland beat Rich Central 34-6 and Sterling beat Kaneland 42-24 to put it in perspective who Hillcrest has played.

That was the first game of the year if Hillcrest played them again it would be 50-0 Watch the tape. I watched hours of tape on Hillcrest Monitini Sterling And even Washington. Hillcrest speed is insane, none of those other teams would be able to contain. This Hillcrest teams reminds me of the Oregon ducks fast at all positions.

Reactions: Gene K.
That was the first game of the year if Hillcrest played them again it would be 50-0 Watch the tape. I watched hours of tape on Hillcrest Monitini Sterling And even Washington. Hillcrest speed is insane, none of those other teams would be able to contain. This Hillcrest teams reminds me of the Oregon ducks fast at all positions.

Where do you get your game tape from?

Reactions: Gene K.
Geeez Eleander or should I say Alexander, the Oregon ducks got dunked last night!!!!! So much for speed! LOL!

The brackets have been set. I’m not going to do anymore talking lol I’m going to let Hillcrest do the talking for me. What teams did you guys have winning 5A? So I can come back to this post in 5 weeks

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT