ADVERTISEMENT

Private School Districts

niualum2002

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2004
For the record I am not in favor of districts for many reasons. I'm also more of a public school guy, but I really like having the privates in the state playoffs with the publics. I think its what makes the Illinois playoff system great.

Having said that, if we're stuck with the districts is there a way to keep private schools happy so they don't break away from the state playoff series?

I'm thinking could there be all private districts in some classes allowing for rivalries to be kept? Top 4 would qualify for the IHSA state playoffs, Bottom 4 qualify for the Prep Bowl which would add some luster to that event?

An all-private 8A district could be the Old CCL Blue with Loyola, MC, Rice, Rita, Providence as well as Benet, Niles, and Marist.

An all-private 6A district could be Naz, JCA, Montini, Fenwick, Carmel, Marmion, St. Patrick, St. Ignatius

An all-private 5A district could be St. Laurence, De LaSalle, Marian Woodstock, Marian Chicago Heights, St. Viator, St. Francis, Bishop Mac, IC.

Trying to think of something that would work better than situations like Mt. Carmel playing 7 CPS schools that could technically forfeit their Mt. Carmel games and still have 3 of the 7 schools make the playoffs and leave Mt. Carmel without a season essentially.

Anything that involves the privates leaving the playoffs and schools such as the CPS giving up football isn't a good thing in my opinion, but is there a better way to make districts work so as to appease the downstate travel concerns as well?

Just my thoughts.

I think you’ll see something like this but it will be called the IL Catholic/Private HS Association. I’m not in favor of the split but Districts are a bad idea that don’t work anywhere except TX.

For the record I am not in favor of districts for many reasons. I'm also more of a public school guy, but I really like having the privates in the state playoffs with the publics. I think its what makes the Illinois playoff system great.

Having said that, if we're stuck with the districts is there a way to keep private schools happy so they don't break away from the state playoff series?

I'm thinking could there be all private districts in some classes allowing for rivalries to be kept? Top 4 would qualify for the IHSA state playoffs, Bottom 4 qualify for the Prep Bowl which would add some luster to that event?

An all-private 8A district could be the Old CCL Blue with Loyola, MC, Rice, Rita, Providence as well as Benet, Niles, and Marist.

An all-private 6A district could be Naz, JCA, Montini, Fenwick, Carmel, Marmion, St. Patrick, St. Ignatius

An all-private 5A district could be St. Laurence, De LaSalle, Marian Woodstock, Marian Chicago Heights, St. Viator, St. Francis, Bishop Mac, IC.

Trying to think of something that would work better than situations like Mt. Carmel playing 7 CPS schools that could technically forfeit their Mt. Carmel games and still have 3 of the 7 schools make the playoffs and leave Mt. Carmel without a season essentially.

Anything that involves the privates leaving the playoffs and schools such as the CPS giving up football isn't a good thing in my opinion, but is there a better way to make districts work so as to appease the downstate travel concerns as well?

Just my thoughts.
Could some of those private schools, like let's say, St. Viator choose to stay in the IHSA districts?

Could some of those private schools, like let's say, St. Viator choose to stay in the IHSA districts?

If the private’s ever do decide to form their own association it would be interesting to see how many elect to stay in the IHSA, everyone just make the false assumption they will 100% leave.

I suspect some will choose to stay but vast majority will leave. All depends on logistics and cost. I suspect, the success of the new Catholic League, over the next two years will directly influence many decisions. I would also gamble and say the CPS schools will be closely monitoring the CL progress. The Prep Bowl was highly successful and many are still in love with the concept.

I suspect some will choose to stay but vast majority will leave. All depends on logistics and cost. I suspect, the success of the new Catholic League, over the next two years will directly influence many decisions. I would also gamble and say the CPS schools will be closely monitoring the CL progress. The Prep Bowl was highly successful and many are still in love with the concept.

The fact that MOST privates don't want to have anything to do with the Blue (including some teams in the blue) tells me that the non boundary schools aren't going anywhere. I believe that quietly most of the non boundary school are loving the District set up. It's the public schools that have to play them every year will do the most crying.

Last edited:
I think you’ll see something like this but it will be called the IL Catholic/Private HS Association. I’m not in favor of the split but Districts are a bad idea that don’t work anywhere except TX.

Oh and Iowa, and Missouri, and Minnesota, and, and, and..... I don’t know the exact count so I’m not going to make an authoritative declaration but I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t the majority of states at this point with districts.

The fact that MOST privates don't want to have anything to do with the Blue (including some teams in the blue) tells me that the non boundary schools are going anywhere. I will be quietly that most of the non boundary school are loving the District set up. It's the public schools that have to now play them every year will do the most crying.
BINGO!

I'd like to hear about this "vast majority" theory though.

I think your suburban privates - Benet, Naz, Provi - will like it. I don't think its a good thing for your CCL teams with dwindling enrollments - MC, Rita, DLS. The CCL was a unique thing those schools could sell. No longer if districts happen.

If the private’s ever do decide to form their own association it would be interesting to see how many elect to stay in the IHSA, everyone just make the false assumption they will 100% leave.

More will stay than leave.

Reactions: Hillini74

I don't know if anyone is in "love" with the Prep Bowl. Think of it as the uncle who comes over on holidays and drinks too much .. but he also gives you money when your mom isn't looking.

Reactions: bgiffin1970
I don't know if anyone is in "love" with the Prep Bowl. Think of it as the uncle who comes over on holidays and drinks too much .. but he also gives you money when your mom isn't looking.
Are you speaking from experience? I never had any Uncles who fit that description.

Maybe this district proposal coupled with the recently unveiled CCL set-up and divisions will be just the push to send the privates (including non-CCL teams?) into their own association. I respect all the privates have accomplished in the face of their own challenges, but the competition gap between many of the unboundarieds compared to most of the publics/boundaried is undeniable. Good luck in your own association and you can watch the unraveling of the IHSA football model from the outside.

Reactions: Gene K.
How MANY of these non-boundaried schools would beat MOST most of the rest of the boundaried field. By my count 14-18 tops. And that's if you put them in their classification alone. Only about 4 or 5 beat most across classification lines.

Chicago (Brother Rice)
Chicago (C. Hope Academy)
Chicago (Marist)
Chicago (Mt. Carmel)
Decatur (St. Teresa)
Elmhurst (IC Catholic)
Lombard (Montini)
LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)
Kankakee (McNamara)
Joliet (Catholic Academy)
New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin)
Sterling (Newman Central Catholic)
Wilmette (Loyola Academy)

Alton (Marquette)
Arlington Heights (St. Viator)
Aurora (A. Christian)
Aurora (Central Catholic)
Aurora (Marmion Academy)
Belleville (Althoff Catholic)
Bloomington (Central Catholic)
Breese (Mater Dei)
Burbank (St. Laurence)
Champaign (Judah Christian)
Champaign (St. Thomas More)
Chicago (DePaul College Prep)
Chicago (Leo)
Chicago (St. Ignatius College Prep)
Chicago (St. Rita)
Chicago Heights (Marian)
Decatur (D. Lutheran)
Edwardsville (Metro-East Lutheran)
Elgin (St. Edward)
Freeport (Aquin)
Jacksonville (Routt)
Lisle (Benet Academy)
Mooseheart
Mundelein (Carmel)
Niles (Notre Dame)
Oak Park (Fenwick)
Ottawa (Marquette)
Palos Heights (Chicago Christian)
Peoria (Notre Dame)
Peru (St. Bede)
Quincy (Notre Dame)
Rock Island (Alleman)
Rockford (Boylan Catholic)
Rockford (Lutheran)
Rockford (R. Christian)
West Chicago (Wheaton Academy)
Westchester (St. Joseph)
Wheaton (St. Francis)
Woodstock (Marian)

Chicago (Agricultural Science)
Chicago (Brooks)
Chicago (C. Vocational)
Chicago (CICS/ChicagoQuest)
Chicago (CICS/Ellison)
Chicago (CICS/Longwood)
Chicago (Clark)
Chicago (Collins Academy)
Chicago (Curie)
Chicago (Dunbar)
Chicago (King)
Chicago (Lane)
Chicago (Lindblom)
Chicago (Marine Leadership Academy)
Chicago (Noble/Butler)
Chicago (Noble/ITW Speer)
Chicago (Noble/Muchin)
Chicago (Noble/Pritzker)
Chicago (Noble/Rauner)
Chicago (North Lawndale Charter)
Chicago (Payton)
Chicago (Perspectives/Leadership)
Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (South Shore International College Prep)
Chicago (Urban Prep/Englewood)
Chicago (Urban Prep/West)
Chicago (Von Steuben)
Chicago (Westinghouse College Prep)
Chicago (Whitney Young)

Jacksonville (Illinois School for the Deaf)
Normal (University)

I get your point, but I do think you've underrated a few. I'd add Laurence, Rita, Benet and Niles ND to the top list.

I am all for private schools breaking away. I am done with the IHSA and their inefficient bureaucratic bullshit. Change for the sake of change. What are these idiots thinking.

Reactions: MC63 and Gene K.
How MANY of these non-boundaried schools would beat MOST most of the rest of the boundaried field. By my count 14-18 tops. And that's if you put them in their classification alone. Only about 4 or 5 beat most across classification lines.

Chicago (Brother Rice)
Chicago (Marist)
Chicago (Mt. Carmel)
Decatur (St. Teresa)
Elmhurst (IC Catholic)
Lombard (Montini)
LaGrange Park (Nazareth Academy)
Kankakee (McNamara)
Joliet (Catholic Academy)
New Lenox (Providence Catholic)
Springfield (Sacred Heart-Griffin)
Sterling (Newman Central Catholic)
Wilmette (Loyola Academy)

Alton (Marquette)
Arlington Heights (St. Viator)
Aurora (A. Christian)
Aurora (Central Catholic)
Aurora (Marmion Academy)
Belleville (Althoff Catholic)
Bloomington (Central Catholic)
Breese (Mater Dei)
Burbank (St. Laurence)
Champaign (Judah Christian)
Champaign (St. Thomas More)
Chicago (DePaul College Prep)
Chicago (Leo)
Chicago (St. Rita)
Chicago Heights (Marian)
Decatur (D. Lutheran)
Edwardsville (Metro-East Lutheran)
Elgin (St. Edward)
Freeport (Aquin)
Jacksonville (Routt)
Lisle (Benet Academy)
Mooseheart
Mundelein (Carmel)
Niles (Notre Dame)
Oak Park (Fenwick)
Ottawa (Marquette)
Palos Heights (Chicago Christian)
Peoria (Notre Dame)
Peru (St. Bede)
Quincy (Notre Dame)
Rock Island (Alleman)
Rockford (Boylan Catholic)
Rockford (Lutheran)
Rockford (R. Christian)
West Chicago (Wheaton Academy)
Westchester (St. Joseph)
Wheaton (St. Francis)
Woodstock (Marian)

Chicago (Agricultural Science)
Chicago (Brooks)
Chicago (C. Vocational)
Chicago (CICS/ChicagoQuest)
Chicago (CICS/Ellison)
Chicago (CICS/Longwood)
Chicago (Clark)
Chicago (Collins Academy)
Chicago (Curie)
Chicago (Dunbar)
Chicago (King)
Chicago (Lane)
Chicago (Lindblom)
Chicago (Marine Leadership Academy)
Chicago (Noble/Butler)
Chicago (Noble/ITW Speer)
Chicago (Noble/Muchin)
Chicago (Noble/Pritzker)
Chicago (Noble/Rauner)
Chicago (North Lawndale Charter)
Chicago (Payton)
Chicago (Perspectives/Leadership)
Chicago (Simeon)
Chicago (South Shore International College Prep)
Chicago (Urban Prep/Englewood)
Chicago (Urban Prep/West)
Chicago (Von Steuben)
Chicago (Westinghouse College Prep)
Chicago (Whitney Young)

Jacksonville (Illinois School for the Deaf)
Normal (University)
You giving St Pats the cold shoulder (joking obviously)!

I am all for private schools breaking away. I am done with the IHSA and their inefficient bureaucratic bullshit. Change for the sake of change. What are these idiots thinking.

Again, I don't think people realize that these votes are from the membership, and I know for a fact that several Catholic schools voted for this proposal.

All.... Maybe this what you are talking about. If the private schools decided to leave the IHSA it would be a complete separation not just football. That organization would not allow their cash cow to take a hit like that. Long travel and the expense (for instance football) is one thing but how to fund all of the others sports (including the lower levels) would be a challenge.

Help me out Ramblinman. While I'm not opposed of possibly giving the one finger farewell salute to the Ihsa and joining the NIPL or whatever one wants to call it the logistics and funding (it always comes down to money) would be a tall challenge. Something else that would be troubling would be getting game officials to work all those sports. There is already a huge shortage and what if the IHSA "new" rule was even if referees are not scheduled to work a game they are not permitted to earn a few extra bucks doing a game with the new kids on the block. I could see a punitive measure like that tacked on as a going away present.

Again the leap into something new doesn't bother me considering how the privates have been treated. But it has to be feasible. Thanks. Ratsy

They don’t like the current prep bowl format which is a joke.But the old format was the best IL HS football ever watched and would be again 14-0 Catholic against 14-0 public in a prep bowl! At lane stadium. Cmon man!!!sold out.

Again, I don't think people realize that these votes are from the membership, and I know for a fact that several Catholic schools voted for this proposal.
How many times does it need to be stated that people do in fact realize it was a membership vote? The proposal was not imposed by the IHSA. And, I have no doubt some private schools voted for the district proposal. You realize that each school (private or public) votes in their own self-interest? All private schools do not vote in lock-step. I'm sure Marian Central Catholic voted for districts. There's no doubt it helps them from a competitive and travel standpoint.

How many times does it need to be stated that people do in fact realize it was a membership vote? The proposal was not imposed by the IHSA. And, I have no doubt some private schools voted for the district proposal. You realize that each school (private or public) votes in their own self-interest? All private schools do not vote in lock-step. I'm sure Marian Central Catholic voted for districts. There's no doubt it helps them from a competitive and travel standpoint.
I also know Schools voted on something they have no idea what the end result is,to me it’s the bottom feeder schools voted this conference thing out.Im am old enough now to understand people vote for things they fully don’t understand the end results!I just read what the rest of the country is doing and it’s all different.Some good and bad!

I also know Schools voted on something they have no idea what the end result is,to me it’s the bottom feeder schools voted this conference thing out.Im am old enough now to understand people vote for things they fully don’t understand the end results!I just read what the rest of the country is doing and it’s all different.Some good and bad!

So you are saying that All 300 plus yes votes were from bottom feeders who have absolutely no problem scheduling games nor care about making the playoffs?

So you are saying that All 300 plus yes votes were from bottom feeders who have absolutely no problem scheduling games nor care about making the playoffs?
Just thinking a lot of programs thinking grass in greener getting out of their conference!where they have not had a ton of success.

Just thinking a lot of programs thinking grass in greener getting out of their conference!where they have not had a ton of success.

Most of those schools had jump ship already which created issues with the competitive schools.

They don’t like the current prep bowl format which is a joke.But the old format was the best IL HS football ever watched and would be again 14-0 Catholic against 14-0 public in a prep bowl! At lane stadium. Cmon man!!!sold out.

No body cares about the prep bowl. It’s a joke.
Really it’s like 2nd place. Come on man.

No body cares about the prep bowl. It’s a joke.
Really it’s like 2nd place. Come on man.
In today’s format.its awful I agree,if Catholic pulls out of Ihsa which I could see because they will not tolerate not playing rivalries at all.won’t happen to much power in Catholic league.Then you would see Catholic vs public for championship!There is enough catholic schools to pull out of the districts if they are not playing those rivalries!prep bowls long time ago was most attended football games in IL

In today’s format.its awful I agree,if Catholic pulls out of Ihsa which I could see because they will not tolerate not playing rivalries at all.won’t happen to much power in Catholic league.Then you would see Catholic vs public for championship!There is enough catholic schools to pull out of the districts if they are not playing those rivalries!prep bowls long time ago was most attended football games in IL

I can’t say it won’t but I don’t see it happening. That ship has sailed and it’s long gone. I still feel it would feel like a 2nd place trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT