ADVERTISEMENT

Post your week 2 lower level results

mc140

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Come on parents. We need a new Bartlett frosh team.

De La Salle Freshmen and Sophs are both 2-0. Freshmen will play Brother Rice and Providence before playing conference games. Sophs will play Leo and Marist.

Provi Soph's beat HF Soph's 17-13

Provi Frosh beat the Brook 55-10

At least that's what I was told the score was.

Soph scores I pay the least amount of attention to. MC has 6 up for now. Some programs really shuffle kids around. I think Brook has 4 frosh on Varsity.

Soph scores I pay the least amount of attention to. MC has 6 up for now. Some programs really shuffle kids around. I think Brook has 4 frosh on Varsity.
I don't pay attention to lower level scores at all. As long as the teams are competitive. Naz suits up about 15 sophs 1 frosh, 8 actually start. I'm starting to notice a lack of lower level lineman among lots of schools.

Reactions: Voodoo Tatum 21
Marmion Lower Levels

Sophs 2-0 ....42-0 over Ridgewood and 35-6 over Aurora Christian

Frosh 2-0......20 - 6 over Eisenhower and 20 - 7 over Lemont

MC Sophs over Palatine 40-0, LWE frosh over MC 28-21

Is that concerning that MC frosh lost? I mean, seems like they have lost less than 10 frosh games in the last 10-12 years or so. Is MC finally starting to feel the effects of lower catholic enrollments and fewer boys playing football?

Not at all. I will assume LWE has a stellar class and over 100 kids. Plus its a 7 point loss. If MC goes 1-3 or 0-4 in Blue and gets blown out then I am concerned.

I don't pay attention to lower level scores at all. As long as the teams are competitive. Naz suits up about 15 sophs 1 frosh, 8 actually start. I'm starting to notice a lack of lower level lineman among lots of schools.

Yeah totally agree with you. Not sure why it's slim pickings for Lineman at Frosh and Soph levels. That is a big concern if it is as widespread as I think it might be.

Big/Tall kids doing other sports? No recognition for doing the grunt work? Not sure whats going on.

Call it the Madden effect, or concussion effect, or the OBJ/Gronk effect, or parents that want Johnny to be a star and not a grunt effect or the spread offense effect but my eye test sees the same trend; skill position player numbers up, lineman numbers down. Probably not a big enough topic to have real numbers on but wonder if any HS coaches see the same thing and if it has gone on long enough that college coaches are starting to see it too?

Reactions: ignazio
Call it the Madden effect, or concussion effect, or the OBJ/Gronk effect, or parents that want Johnny to be a star and not a grunt effect or the spread offense effect but my eye test sees the same trend; skill position player numbers up, lineman numbers down. Probably not a big enough topic to have real numbers on but wonder if any HS coaches see the same thing and if it has gone on long enough that college coaches are starting to see it too?

rock - I agree with you. as I stated earlier. in the last couple of years we have seen a very steady decline in defensive play. maybe it is spread offenses or passing in general, but even run based teams cant stop the run games. mind boggling to me that defense in most of these schools is nonexistent. it really is just like watching 7on7's. not sure if like you say linemen(maybe) but I am more so saying defensive schemes. way, way to many 1 or 2 play td's being scored.

Any Bartlett Week 3 results?
Rice won Soph vs AC and Frosh big vs DLS
MC lost both Soph and Frosh to LA
Marist won Sophs but lost Frosh to Carmel

Yeah totally agree with you. Not sure why it's slim pickings for Lineman at Frosh and Soph levels. That is a big concern if it is as widespread as I think it might be.

Big/Tall kids doing other sports? No recognition for doing the grunt work? Not sure whats going on.

rock - I agree with you. as I stated earlier. in the last couple of years we have seen a very steady decline in defensive play. maybe it is spread offenses or passing in general, but even run based teams cant stop the run games. mind boggling to me that defense in most of these schools is nonexistent. it really is just like watching 7on7's. not sure if like you say linemen(maybe) but I am more so saying defensive schemes. way, way to many 1 or 2 play td's being scored.

As far as the lineman issue goes, a study would probably be needed to find out for sure what the reason is, if indeed people's observations are correct regarding the declining numbers.

As far as the defensive play issue,I will take a shot at the POSSIBLE reasons:

1) I think a lot of coaches have decided that they need to develop explosive offenses, which probably leads them to put the majority of their best athletes on the offensive side of the ball, sometimes to the detriment of the defense;

2) I agree with others I have talked to that teaching (and playing) pass defense may be the hardest thing to master in high school football. With more and more teams seeming to go to spread offenses, a defense is often times put behind the eight-ball, especially if a team can put three or even four above average receivers against it. Good spread teams also appear to have more than adequate running games, so moving the ball on the ground is also successful. This is a lot for defenses to deal with; and

3) Not sure of this, but are more and more teams getting away from full contact during the week of practice? Could this be affecting the play of the defense come game day? I have heard some coaches who think that this is the case.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT