ADVERTISEMENT

Post school fall plans here

sporthog9er

Jun 9, 2001
Have seen so far articles/press releases for JCA, Glenbrook South, Bradley, Kankakee. Any more come out feel free to post. Interested to track who is doing what and how their sports will be handled.

A lot of these plans you see still have to be negotiated with the union. Well not JCA of course.

Very interested to see what union stuff has to happen. So far people who work in 210 and 230 have told me there are no plans to have any contract redone or voting if there isn't any change to what they are responsible for. If they still will get paid per salary schedule, be responsible for same student load, etc then they were told there won't be any union involvement. If that changes or hours at building, etc then I'm interested to see how different union stances play out.

Very interested to see what union stuff has to happen. So far people who work in 210 and 230 have told me there are no plans to have any contract redone or voting if there isn't any change to what they are responsible for. If they still will get paid per salary schedule, be responsible for same student load, etc then they were told there won't be any union involvement. If that changes or hours at building, etc then I'm interested to see how different union stances play out.
There won't be issues unless district BOE don't honor contracts and stipends

Reactions: sporthog9er

And if they go the hybrid rout it’s about hours in the building plus hours at the home e-learning office. That’s a problem

There won't be issues unless district BOE don't honor contracts and stipends
How could a extra curricular stipend be paid for an activity that does not occur or suspended for a long time once started? I wonder how the spring sports were handled ... some stipend pro-rating involved?

How could a extra curricular stipend be paid for an activity that does not occur or suspended for a long time once started? I wonder how the spring sports were handled ... some stipend pro-rating involved?

Spring were paid out in full. My guess is fall will not be allowed to be signed until we know if there will be a season. Though that is not really fair to head coaches who spend the entire year doing administrative duties with their sport. So I really do not know what will happen.

Reactions: johnndoe
To speak for my district only, the board has unilaterally introduced language into contracts. So, like I stated, this could cause major issues.

To speak for my district only, the board has unilaterally introduced language into contracts. So, like I stated, this could cause major issues.

Was your contract up this year or did they go back in and do that?

Spring were paid out in full. My guess is fall will not be allowed to be signed until we know if there will be a season. Though that is not really fair to head coaches who spend the entire year doing administrative duties with their sport. So I really do not know what will happen.
Yes, spring sports were paid in full at all districts I am aware of whether the season was a few weeks long or not even started yet.

Fall sports will be interesting should they be canceled. Not paying at all isn’t an option since so many do so much work with their players over the summer, scheduling, communicating, etc. I can see full pay or a negotiation that leads to half stipend pay for a canceled season or perhaps a smaller amount if the union really doesn’t dig their heals in.

That said, it may not matter because hopefully fall sports play. But even if they don’t I believe the IHSA will be motivated to cram the fall season into March and April.

While every district that I know of paid the Spring coaches, I highly doubt that if there is a cancellation the same will happen in the Fall.
In March most of the sports had already started and this pandemic caught everyone by surprise. That's not the case in August.
Teaching salaries are a totally different animal. I'm speaking strictly to the coaching stipends.

While every district that I know of paid the Spring coaches, I highly doubt that if there is a cancellation the same will happen in the Fall.
In March most of the sports had already started and this pandemic caught everyone by surprise. That's not the case in August.
Teaching salaries are a totally different animal. I'm speaking strictly to the coaching stipends.
Partially agree. But they can’t just blanket not pay stipends as many have already done work. I would imagine any settlement would be negotiated and, at a minimum, all stipend positions would get a token amount of money to cover any work already done. I would imagine most unions would have the leverage to ensure at least half stipends paid out in the event of a full cancelation. Many will probably demand and get full pay as well.

Partially agree. But they can’t just blanket not pay stipends as many have already done work. I would imagine any settlement would be negotiated and, at a minimum, all stipend positions would get a token amount of money to cover any work already done. I would imagine most unions would have the leverage to ensure at least half stipends paid out in the event of a full cancelation. Many will probably demand and get full pay as well.
No, I don't think so.
Teacher's unions have very little to do with extra-curriculars. (outside of basic salary schedule negotiation) Districts can and will just blanket not pay stipends if the season never officially starts..
I've spoken with several athletic administrators and while the Spring sports were paid in full, the plan for the Fall is no season-no pay. Most money paid for Summer and off-season work is funded by camps etc. Essentially, most fiscal years begin on July 1. Your sport's official start date begins your service to the district as a coach or sponsor.

S
No, I don't think so.
Teacher's unions have very little to do with extra-curriculars. (outside of basic salary schedule negotiation) Districts can and will just blanket not pay stipends if the season never officially starts..
I've spoken with several athletic administrators and while the Spring sports were paid in full, the plan for the Fall is no season-no pay. Most money paid for Summer and off-season work is funded by camps etc. Essentially, most fiscal years begin on July 1. Your sport's official start date begins your service to the district as a coach or sponsor.
Strongly disagree with your first statement. If it’s in the CBA, then you can’t say unions have little to do with extra curriculars. They spent the time to collectively bargain it, so it is a union issue.

I don’t think it’s as black and white as you say. What if newspaper club, student council, or some choir ensemble get a 3 month late start on a year round stipend? Do those club sponsors get full pay, no pay, or a pro rated amount?

whatever the answer, it will ALL be up for bargaining. A strong union will demand full pay. If persistent enough, they will get something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gene K.
Typical H.S. teacher's unions spend little time on extra curriculars.
All public school coaches and sponsors are on 1 year contracts.
Having spent time on a negotiations team, I can tell you that the extra curricular portion of the contract gets very little attention especially in comparison to the salary schedule/contract language/working conditions/class size limits etc. It just doesn't. This may be because it doesn't effect a large percentage of the employees in many districts.
If the school newspaper sponsor starts late-I would guess the pay would be pro rated. If the paper is never produced due to not being in school-I don't think there would be any pay.

Typical H.S. teacher's unions spend little time on extra curriculars.
All public school coaches and sponsors are on 1 year contracts.
Having spent time on a negotiations team, I can tell you that the extra curricular portion of the contract gets very little attention especially in comparison to the salary schedule/contract language/working conditions/class size limits etc. It just doesn't. This may be because it doesn't effect a large percentage of the employees in many districts.
If the school newspaper sponsor starts late-I would guess the pay would be pro rated. If the paper is never produced due to not being in school-I don't think there would be any pay.
I totally agree that they are often an after thought and one of the lower priorities in negotiations. But when an issue arises with that part of the contract, it tends to get dealt with the same as any other issue.

sure coaches and sponsors have less protections with the year to year nature of their jobs compared to the tenure track of teaching. But I would be surprised to see many unions willingly accept no pay for the fall. And I think even in the event of a fall cancellation you will likely see condensed spring sports to get all three seasons in.

a few public school ADs i have talked to are confident of a fall season happening. I don’t share that same confidence necessarily but I am hopeful none of those negotiations will need to happen. And all activities get played according to schedule .

With most schools probably going with hybrid (in-person/remote) setups in the fall, will schools be able to justify sports? You can justify it, but I can see people arguing against it.

Correct only 3 total options. But each school can have a multitude of options within those 3 parameters. I've read some districts have 7 options, or 5, or however many (usually within the hybrid). All the options should be noted so it can be determined once athletics gets involved with how everything will work in fall. Thanks

I have heard
Monday-Freshmen
Tuesday-Sophomores
Wednesday-Juniors
Thursday-Seniors
Friday-I don't know-clean and disinfect?
In the school that I heard of this plan, that would make the daily attendance 500ish.

I have heard
Monday-Freshmen
Tuesday-Sophomores
Wednesday-Juniors
Thursday-Seniors
Friday-I don't know-clean and disinfect?
In the school that I heard of this plan, that would make the daily attendance 500ish.
Would not be shocked if a school did that. For all the grumblings nationwide about eLearning, a plan like this comes up and you go from not being in the building at all this spring to just 1 day per week. It's almost laughable, but it's not because it's apparently reality now. I think once the collective public actually realizes we may never (yes never) move to IL phase 5 and this is now forever plans, we may see stronger pushback. Unless they decide to change the phase 5 requirements.

Thank you for the update on a plan. Keep them coming as they are made public.

The Plainfield and Kankakee models which seem to allow for a 3-way family choice among all in-person, all distance or hybrid blend between the two appear promising. Maybe family choice is also the way to go in regard to extracurricular activity participation?

Although the following is a fall opening plan from a university (private and in D.C.), I'll toss it into this thread. For the entire 1st semester, no guests or visitors and that includes parents. If this applies also to move-in for 1st-year students, that is bold.

Texas announced return to school in person and masks are not required. Will see if any individual districts there make changes to that. But that bodes very well for sports there.

It is hard to imagine any scenario that would disallow Texas High School football come fall. If that sadness happened, as former Longhorn coach Darrell Royal would put it, "People's faces would be so long, they could eat oats out of the bottom of a churn."

The Plainfield and Kankakee models which seem to allow for a 3-way family choice among all in-person, all distance or hybrid blend between the two appear promising. Maybe family choice is also the way to go in regard to extracurricular activity participation?

I see bussing as the gamestopper for these hybrid models. They tried to add an extra bus shift out here ten years ago. One extra pickup and drop off. They were quoted 1.5 million for the schoolyear and it never was passed. Many of these hybrids we've been reading about have extra buses running all day long.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT