ADVERTISEMENT

Plainfield back to E Learning

saints78

Apr 30, 2011
Plainfield now back to E Learning after not approving it 2 weeks ago.

Hate to say if but with all the schools opening remotely there is not going to be fall sports or at least in August and September.

Figure if a school district says it is not safe for kids to be in the building how are they going to allow kids to come in after school.

Reactions: Gene K.
Again, embarrassing. An utter lack of consideration for kids and staff, and also to current real time data.

ISBE did state last week in their guidance that all students, even those on remote, must be allowed access to extra- curriculars. So schools can allow it because the state says so, if they are able to do sports per IHSA/IDPH. Most clubs will probably opt to run virtually, somehow.

My argument on this remains: if a student is remote and is allowed sports (and doesn't do much else), it's technically safer in regards to total exposure of people. Stay home and only go around your team versus go to school around many other kids, plus your team.

Actually they voted no originally, the staff wanted this and its a huge district. Many school districts teacher did not want to go back immediately. There was many rallies and events today for pro e learning

I also think the logistics of remote then allowing sports are part of the issue. Kids will expected to be online until 230/2;45 and then get to practice. Many of which do not have access to rides at that time.

It’s funny I know of one Plainfield teacher that is adamant about Going back e-learning. Then you look at her Facebook page one day she’s boating with nine other people no masks and three days before that she’s at a travel softball tournament in Tennessee

Last edited:
Safety has nothing to do with it. I know teachers who have been out all summer at neighbors' parties, in their pools, at the beach, at their kids' softball tournaments, to Florida and back, and in restaurants and stores since they were allowed to reopen. And a few of them have conditions that CoVid-19 would exploit. The teachers union is driving this thing.

Safety has nothing to do with it. I know teachers who have been out all summer at neighbors' parties, in their pools, at the beach, at their kids' softball tournaments, to Florida and back, and in restaurants and stores since they were allowed to reopen. And a few of them have conditions that CoVid-19 would exploit. The teachers union is driving this thing.
I know those teachers as well, but most of them want to go back. It’s the ones complaining about their safety and then not practicing what the preach that get me giving the stink eye

And that's the crazy part< I want to go back to regular school because it would be easier for me, other than the hassle of wearing a mask all day

Its easy to find a scapegoat and blame it on this group or that group, the truth is in the survey only 32% of parents felt it was safe to send students back. Compare that to Minooka where the numbers were closer to 50/50, but remember Minooka's high school is its own district and Plainfield encompasses K-12 around 30 different schools. The reason it was voted down by 3-3 tie in Plainfield wasn't the fact of starting e-learning with the numbers back what's the board supposed to do. E-learning was really the only option to start this school year. The tweaks made in the remote learning plan and eventual blended learning plan got the plan passed this time.

It’s funny I know of one Plainfield teacher that is adamant about Going back e-learning. Then you look at her Facebook page one day she’s boating with nine other people no masks and three days before that she’s at a travel softball tournament in Tennessee
I know 1 plainfield teacher that has been out of the state 5 times since quarantine and another one 3 times. That and plenty of parents saying they want elearning but are all over the place.

Its easy to find a scapegoat and blame it on this group or that group, the truth is in the survey only 32% of parents felt it was safe to send students back. Compare that to Minooka where the numbers were closer to 50/50, but remember Minooka's high school is its own district and Plainfield encompasses K-12 around 30 different schools. The reason it was voted down by 3-3 tie in Plainfield wasn't the fact of starting e-learning with the numbers back what's the board supposed to do. E-learning was really the only option to start this school year. The tweaks made in the remote learning plan and eventual blended learning plan got the plan passed this time.
In my district (Downers / Darien) Parents were surveyed and it was 75% to go back to school full time and 95% of the staff said in school. How can there be such a discrepancy just a few towns over?

In my district (Downers / Darien) Parents were surveyed and it was 75% to go back to school full time and 95% of the staff said in school. How can there be such a discrepancy just a few towns over?
Those numbers are pretty shocking, honestly. D86 (Hinsdale Central and South) didn't do a survey, and I wish they did.

I don't see why any school district wouldn't do a survey the one we took was about 15- 20 questions covering a range of options.
The one reason I can think of is backlash. Same happened in Oswego, overwhelming amount of parents want kids back to school, however, an overwhelming amount of teachers want e-learning. I live across the street from one of our school board members and a big issue is, How can they recommend e-learning if the people that voted them in want the kids back in school.

Reactions: Kevin JCHS 81
I think a lot of younger teachers with younger kids are opting for E-learning. Home with the kids, no daycare to pay for and still getting a paycheck.

Reactions: Gene K.
The one reason I can think of is backlash. Same happened in Oswego, overwhelming amount of parents want kids back to school, however, an overwhelming amount of teachers want e-learning. I live across the street from one of our school board members and a big issue is, How can they recommend e-learning if the people that voted them in want the kids back in school.

Remember when there were all the signs that said "We are in this together" well that means teachers have to sacrifice and teach or go find anther job since the greater good is taking care of the most vulnerable who are your students. Most teachers want to teach but sometimes the leadership has their own agenda.

A teacher I know posted this:

"As we prepare for the start of our school year, I wanted to alert you to a recent addition to your classroom learning environment. As per the order of the State Department of Education, each classroom will now be equipped with a lion.
The following information is designed to help you achieve your learning targets as you manage your lion.
1. Your lion will not be contained; s/he will be free to roam around your room. Please instruct your students to stay 6 feet away from the lion at all times.
2. The lion could lick or just scratch a student. It’s also possible they could flat out devour one. Or you. Another reason to stay 6 feet away from the lion.
3.The lions will also be free to roam the halls, bathrooms, front office, gym, cafeteria, nurses office, teachers lounge, etc. Try not to bump into them as you pass, it could get ugly...."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT