ADVERTISEMENT

Pirates v. Ramblers

Bowie50

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2013
thoughts? Predictions? Would love to hear from our beloved experts (sincerety,emphasised) epic, jwar, bones, ramblin, MCHS, JCHILL, et. al.

I'm nervous about these upstart Pirates. Huge respect for the school and their program.

Last edited:
Loyola is the more talented team, as well as the most proven. That said, Palatine loves the upset. Last few seasons you can bank on them winning a game nobody saw coming.

Oles is also a stud.

Can they upset Loyola? Sure. Will they? No. Loyola has an offense that can run with anybody, and they're very well coached. No letdown, some of the better defense Palatine has seen, Ramblers win by 13ish.

Reactions: Bowie50
These LA seniors were 2-7 freshman year. This is might be the hardest working and most determined group Holecek has had. They are definitely the strongest. Coming behind a senior class that had such high expectations but fell way short of them has kept this bunch motivated.
That said, I don't see a let down tomorrow.

Reactions: ignazio
As much as I respect Palatine, and they are a great program, LA just has too much. With the backfield in full gear with Loper back, this is just too big a task for Palatine. I do think Oles is a high impact guy, but not enough big play weapons in the supporting cast to make a dent in the LA D.

LA by 17.

thoughts? Predictions? Would love to hear from our beloved experts (sincerety,emphasised) epic, jwar, bones, ramblin, MCHS, JCHILL, et. al.

I'm nervous about these upstart Pirates. Huge respect for the school and their program.
I'm worried about the players' safety and nervous about the game. This weather changes things for both teams, and you just can't predict how teams will react. There are 8 inches of snow on that field as I write this at 10:20 pm with more to come.

Last edited:
I truly hope LA wins this week and next. I hope the boys don't let all this hype get them confused regarding their priorities.

Go Ramblers

Bowie and Ramblin,

Crazy travel this week and sorry I missed this last night. I think Loyola is the logical choice to win this game just doing the basic math. I thought the same was true of my team back in PA tonight only to watch them lose 20-14 in OT to a team the beat earlier this season 56-6.

If Ramblin is serious about 8" of snow on the field already it's amazing because in Naperville we have a coating.

All that said with the Game kicking at 5 pm I don't think the snow will play as much a role as the frozen tundra and residual ice on/in the turf. On a Saturday like last I see Loyola by 11. With the forecast Temperatures and the first snow of the year the pads won't pop as they have been. I gotta go with Loyola still, but by 6.

Not sure what's to come yet stormwise..but I live 6/10ths of a mile from PHS and we have nowhere near 8 inches on the ground..

As for me, I obviously go with the Pirates.. stranger things have happened...Or in the immortal worlds of Herb Brooks: "Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight....Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!"

Last edited:
Not sure what's to come yet stormwise..but I live 6/10ths of a mile from PHS and we have nowhere near 8 inches on the ground..

As for me, I obviously go with the Pirates.. stranger things have happened...Or in the immortal worlds of Herb Brooks: "Great moments... are born from great opportunity. And that's what you have here, tonight, boys. That's what you've earned here tonight. One game. If we played 'em ten times, they might win nine. But not this game. Not tonight....Tonight, we stay with them. And we shut them down because we can!"

Awesome video keep them coming.

If all of Palatine scooped the snow from their driveways, we'd still not have 8 inches of snow on the field.
I'm very glad to hear that. Either much of it melted overnight, or the Channel 5 news was wrong last night. They were reporting 8.5 inches in Barrington on their 10 pm program. Hard to fathom how there can be such a difference in snowfall amounts between these two adjoining suburbs. This morning, I watched a TV reporter stick a measuring tape in the snow and measure out 14.5 inches in McHenry, about 20 miles from Palatine. Play on!

Just spoke to someone who lives right down the street from Palatine High School. He said there is 4-5" of snow on the ground there. He also said that they are plowing the field right now.

16 minutes ago at the field
CUWIW3SUcAE7odA.jpg

I truly hope LA wins this week and next. I hope the boys don't let all this hype get them confused regarding their priorities.

Go Ramblers

Don't worry about the LA players being confused by all the hype. They aren't SHG!!!

I live in palatine and there is more than 8 inches of snow. The roads are very bad.

After working with Palatine public works when I was younger, I can tell you that they will do whatever they can to spend as little amount as possible. If it's drivable they will more or less leave it, deploying the minimal amount of people.

Parents, students, staff, and even the d211 superintendent helping to clear the field

Looking at the game on the Cube right now. The field looks really good given the amount of snow that fell. Kudos and thanks to all who pitched in to make it ready for this game.

Are you at the game or watching on the Cube? My cube connection really sucks. Keeps freezing every 2 minutes or so.
Cube. And yes it keeps freezing. I think they can't handle this much traffic. 24k+ views currently

Refs seemed to have a bad feed on the long Laja run. Blitzing linebacker got tackled in the backfield

Reactions: kpjasion
Refs turned as soft as Laja on that play. I didn't know playing to the whistle (or lack there of) was illegal

Reactions: kpjasion
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT