ADVERTISEMENT

State Playoffs Week 3(CPL, but no CPL)

Thereturnofcmonman

Oct 4, 2019
I'm doing this today, probably gonna start a fight, I know this can't be right, but guys COME ON!!! I loved you endlessly, when you weren't (or were you??) there for me. So now it's time to leave (NEVER) and make it alone (without my Wednesday and Thursday 4:15 games). I know that I can't take no more (weeks without Thursday football), it ain't no lie, I want to see you out that door (of the swinging gate), bye bye bye! Don't wanna be a fool for you (Thursday games never are foolish), just another player in your game for two (Noble schools), you may hate this thread, but it ain't no lie, bye bye bye!

There is only 1 CPL team left in the state playoffs. It is week 12 and we have said bye bye bye to our glorious 4:15 starts at Stagg, Winnemac, Eckersall, and Rockne. How on earth will we ever survive almost 10 months of no CPL Thursday 4:15 starts? Here are this week's featured games.

Hononegah Indians at St. Rita Mustangs(Class 7A):
"One, two, three, four, five, everybody in the car, so come on let's ride, to Vito and Nick's and get some great pizza, the boys say they want some sausage and giardiniera...!!!! Food haze like I had last week, can only be fixed with some football, I like Angela, Pamela, Sandra, and Rita, and as I continue (eating this pizza), you know it's getting sweeter (quick, I need some crushed red pepper!!!!!) So what can I do? I really beg you (to run the ball!!!!), to me it's flirting, it's just like passing (no it's not, never will be), anything goes, it's all good, let me dump it (off to the RB), please play the trumpets(I hope St. Rita's band has trumpets!!!!!!!!!!)." If Rita is good enough for Lou Bega, they are good enough for me. Take the Mustangs!

Abingdon-Avon Tornadoes at Colfax-Ridgeview Co-op Mustangs(Class 1A):
"Hey, I'm gonna leave this huddle, scramble all around, toss it in the air and then ground and pound. Yeah I'm gonna leave this huddle, scramble all around, toss it in the air and then ground and poundddd, make sure you'll never win! The winds are getting stronger and the sky is falling through (better have an umbrella), you ain't got much longer until the rage takes care of you, I'm a TORNADO and I'm coming after you." Take Little Big Town and the Tornadoes. The group name fits perfectly as well for the winner. Abingdon is a little town, Avon is a little town, when you put them together you have a Little Big Town!!!

Central A & M Raiders at Arcola Purple Riders(Class 1A):
"All my friends know the Purple Riders!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Purpler Riders, they're a little higher (seed that is)....Purple Riders drive a little slower (double digit play drives), Purple Riders, they are touchdown scorers....Purple Riders know every gap, purple riders, they're the one to beat!!! Purple Riders don't use no gas now(that means all gas!!!!), Purple Riders don't drive too fast....Take a little trip, take a little trip, take a little trip and see(Arcola take care of business!!!)" For your music fans, this will be a WAR but the Purple Riders prevail.

Benton Rangers at Mt. Carmel Golden Aces(Class 3A):
"On a warm Saturday morning, on a train bound for Mt. Carmel, I met up with a gambler, we were both too amped to sleep. So we took turns a-starin out the window at the darkness(oh wait, it's Daylight Savings so it's light now), the boredom overtook us(let's just get to the game!!!!), and he began to speak. He said, son I've made a life out of reading people's faces,(after refs throw garbage flags), knowing what the calls were by the way they threw their flags. So if you don't mind me saying, I can see you're out of aces(but wait, my sweater says Golden Aces), for a taste of your whiskey, I'll give you some advice.....You gotta know when to hold them(yes, the refs missed it!), know when to fold them (what kind of hinge block was that), know when to walk away(don't need a 15 yard taunting penalty), know when to run(we need a sub!!!), you never count your points while you're standing on the sidelines, they'll be time enough for counting when the game is done." Since I'm apparently out of aces, I guess I have to take Benton in an upset.

Crystal Lake Central Tigers at Cary-Grove Trojans(Class 6A):
When lights go down(hopefully we get the game in), I see no reason...for you to cry(we will just turn the lights on), we've been through this before(the sun always goes down), in every time and every season, God knows I've tried, so please don't ask for more(mustard on that hot dog)...Can't you see it in my eyes, this might be our last goodbye(definitely for Crystal Lake Central).....CAAARRRRRRRYYYYY! CAAAARRRRRRYYYYYY! Things they change, my friend(no they don't, Cary Grove still is dominating). CAAAARRRRYYYYY! CAAARRRRYYYY! Maybe we'll meet again, my friend(doesn't matter, Cary Grove will always win this one)!

Lincoln Way East Griffins at Loyola Ramblers(Class 8A):
"Well my father was a mechanic down in Frankfort, and he wound up on the wrong end of a deal. I was born in the backseat of a greyhound bus rolling down I-94.....Well I'm on my way to Wilmette Saturday morning, leaving out of the LW East Lot, they're always having a good time down on the Edens, Lord them bus rides take it out of me! Well, lord I was born a ramblin' man!!! Tryin to make a livin and doing the best I can, and when it's time for leaving, I hope you file out (single file please), because I was born a ramblin man!" Loyola wins this one by at least 2 TDs

Prairie Ridge Wolves at Lake Forest Scouts(Class 6A):
"Darken the city(wait a minute, it's a night game??), the night is a wire(telephone wires??), steam in the subway(take the highway not the subway), roads are afire(ahh, now it makes sense)...Ref, do you want me, give me a sign(For the love of Pete, would you please make your signals clearer), I'll catch my breath when they stop screaming from behind...In touch with the ground(someone fumbled the rock, scoop and score!!!), they're on the hunt, they're after you! Smell like I sound(oh boy), I'm lost in a crowd(this isn't a Gately crowd), and I'm hungry like the Wolves(where's my pretzel???)" Take the Wolves in a super close game.

Lockport Porters at Glenbard North Panthers(Class 8A):
"I am a lineman for the county(well we are a combo of two towns, but who cares), and I drive them way back(push them back!), searching behind the line for another pancake block...I hear you screaming from the sidelines, and I can hear you through the boos(of the opposing team's crowd), and the Lockport Porters linemen, they're still on the line(why haven't they got out of their stances!!!)" Take Glen Campbell and the Glenbard North Panthers to continue their roll through the playoffs.

Williamsville Bullets at Tolono Unity Rockets(Class 3A):
:Where you going, what you looking for(I can't find a parking spot!!), you know those boys don't want to wait around no more(it's time to start the game!!!!), it's true................They're motoring(up and down the field), what's their time per drive? In finding mister right(the right WR that is), you'll be alright tonite(just don't throw it to the other team)....Boy you know, you're moving up so fast(up and down the field we go), and mama's worrying that you won't last until the last play; Sister Christian there's so much time left, don't you give it up(the lead) before the time runs out...It's true!!!!!!!" Unfortunately, Tolono Unity will give up the lead on the last drive, so take Williamsville!

Note: My song now has no relation to the game, but someone must recall the greatness of Night Ranger. I'm sure the song ROCKETed to the top of the charts.

Game of the Week: Richmond-Burton Rockets at Phillips Wildcats
"Last dance........last dance for CPS....Yes it's my last chance(we need a line change), for CPS wins this year....I need you by me(so I can hand you the ball), beside me(you're supposed to be in the pistol!), to guide me (come on line, get a push), to hold me(holding is a 10 yard penalty), to scold me(that's what coaches are for), cause when I'm bad, I'm so so bad(oh boyyyy).....so Let's Dance!!!!!!!!! Let's Dance!!!!!!!! Let's Dance!!!!!!!!!!!! the Last Dance tonight!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" CPS has one team left and this could be their last dance.....OR NOT, Phillips gets a big win at Gately!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I love the playoffs. IHSA, CPL... bring on the games that you either win or go home! The Saturday games are a drag. Football is meant to be played at 3:45 on a Thursday! On to the picks!

Hononegah Indians at St. Rita Mustangs(Class 7A):
Indians? Mustangs? Real wild west vibe here. Give me the team that would have Bum Phillips as coach.
Ten Gallon Hats!

Abingdon-Avon Tornadoes at Colfax-Ridgeview Co-op Mustangs(Class 1A):
Abingdon-Avon sounds like a train station in northern England. Colfax-Ridgeview sounds like they would be late to the train, and then start a fight with the conductor when he asked for the ticket.
Co-Op!

Central A & M Raiders at Arcola Purple Riders(Class 1A):
Raiders vs Riders? Marauding hordes vs. people on the bus commuting home from work? Normally, I'd go Marauding hordes, but I watched Falling Down last week.
Disgruntled Commuters!

Benton Rangers at Mt. Carmel Golden Aces(Class 3A):
It must suck to be the Mt. Carmel that isn't the Mt. Carmel that everyone assumes you are. I mean, how many, variations of "where's Lenti?" can one school take?
Rangers!

Crystal Lake Central Tigers at Cary-Grove Trojans(Class 6A):
In the first of our subdivision battles, Muffy is still upset about the lack of corn stalks around the road signs in the back of the sub. Bryce was so sure no one would notice "way back there..." You should have known Bryce, you should have known...
The Grove!

Lincoln Way East Griffins at Loyola Ramblers(Class 8A):
I went to the LWE vs Taft playoff game five or six years ago at Lane Stadium. The Griffins won big, but the most impressive thing was LWE had to get dressed in 4 shifts, because the Lane locker rooms are so small.
Ramble ON!

Prairie Ridge Wolves at Lake Forest Scouts(Class 6A):
Anyone believe there will be enough Tesla charging stations at this one? Me either.
Thurston!

Lockport Porters at Glenbard North Panthers(Class 8A):
Wrestling season started yesterday. Glenbard North is a wrestling school. This can't be good for the Porters.
Gold Dot Nation!

Williamsville Bullets at Unity Christian Knights(Class 4A):
Williamsville is locked and loaded for this one! (someone had to do it)
Bullets!

You know I'm going Phillips in the upset. CPL! CPL! CPL! CPL!

Last edited:
Williamsville is 3A and its opponent is Tolono Unity Rockets, a public school.

Someone should figure out where “Unity Christian” is and tell them they have a game this weekend!

You know I'm going Phillips in the upset. CPL! CPL! CPL! CPL!

Mandrake Park or an actual stadium?
It will clearly be in Gately. If it was Mandrake, Richmond Burton would be in trouble. It's a pretty sweet environment...if you're Phillips. It's super intimidating if you aren't. Basically, it's a field surrounded by a giant traffic circle. Just small hills around the field. Fans all around the field...(with more than a few on the sidelines of both teams.) It's truly a unique environment...especially at night with all of the traffic on the street.
No fences, so no way for the IHSA to charge people to get in.

8A LWE @ Loyola
8A Lockport @ Glenbard North
7A Jacobs @ Prospect
5A Marion @ Kankakee
5A Mahomet-Seymour @ Morton
4A JCA v R-B throw down next week!!!
3A Reed-Custer @ Byron
3A Benton @ Mt.Carmel, IL
2A Bishop Mac @ Wilmington
2A Farmington @ Tri-Valley

Williamsville is 3A and its opponent is Tolono Unity Rockets, a public school.
This is what happens when I jump out of CPL and into the rest of the state. You are indeed correct and the thread has been updated. Damn MaxPreps again, because somehow Unity Christian came up when I clicked on Unity.

Where is my prep bowl playoff preview for the week?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT