ADVERTISEMENT

CCL/ESCC Power Rankings (Week 5)

ESCC fan

Nov 15, 2003
Well, that was one of the crazier weekends of Catholic football that I can remember. Upsets, near-upsets, multiple OT games...we had it all. Fun putting together this week's rankings. As always, love to hear thoughts from others. Next week, I'll start including a 'playoff outlook.'

1. Loyola (5-0): Second week in a row where the Ramblers looked vulnerable. (last week: 1)
2. Brother Rice (4-1): The Crusaders cruise to an easy crossover win over the weakest of the White teams. Big test this week vs the very hungry Caravan. (last week: 2)
3. JCA (5-0): A nice non-conference win over a talented Crete-Monee squad. The HIlltoppers should make light work of a down St. Laurence team this week (last week: 4)
4. St. Ignatius (5-0): These rankings are very much a 'what have you done for me lately thing'...and the Wolfpack had the win of the week so they leapfrog to #4. With a few 'easy' games upcoming, they might get passed by a few teams below them due to SoS considerations. (last week: 4)
5. Mount Carmel (4-1): No doubt the Caravan are still a state title contender. They got punched in the face last week but could set things straight quickly vs the Crusaders this week (last week: 3)
6. Marist (4-1): Tough dropping a team after a blowout win over a solid team on the road, but Marist has a shot to make some real noise this week. (last week: 5)
7. St. Rita (3-2): Another shutout victory for the Mustangs. Will be facing a hungry Nazareth team this weekend. (last week: 6)
8. Fenwick (3-2): Took the top team in state down to the final seconds. The Friars have no time for a letdown as a tough Marmion team comes to town (last week: 9)
9. Providence (3-2): A bit of a lackluster win at home vs a down MCC team. The Celtics will look to 'get right' vs Montini. (last week: 8)
10. Naz (2-3): The Roadrunners might be finding themselves a bit...two games is what we call a winning streak. Huge test this week vs the staunch defense of Rita (last week: 10)
11. Marmion (3-2): Cadets stand pat after a loss vs Marist. (last week: 11)
12. Benet (2-3) (last week: 16)
13. ND (1-4): Dons get on the board. Another 'must-win' game vs Benet this week--although the same can be said for Benet who still have JCA on the schedule (last week: 15)
14. St. Patrick (3-2): Shamrocks no match for Rita. With Fenwick & Loyola still on the schedule, the Shamrocks are walking a tight rope. (last week: 12)
15. St. Laurence (3-2): (last week: 13)
16. St. Viator (2-3): With Iggy and Mount Carmel still on the schedule, the Lions may have saw their playoff bubble pop in OT in Niles on Friday. (last week: 14)
17. Montini (2-3): Survived quite the scare. Very tough schedule ahead. (last week: 17)
18. Marian Central Catholic (2-3): These last few teams all lost this week. MCC may have had the most impressive loss so they get a bump (last week: 22)
19. Leo (2-3) (last week: 21)
20. Marian Catholic (2-3) (last week: 18)
21. De La Salle (2-3) (last week: 19)
22. Carmel (2-3) (last week: 20)
23. DePaul (2-3) (last week: 23)

Well, that was one of the crazier weekends of Catholic football that I can remember. Upsets, near-upsets, multiple OT games...we had it all. Fun putting together this week's rankings. As always, love to hear thoughts from others. Next week, I'll start including a 'playoff outlook.'

1. Loyola (5-0): Second week in a row where the Ramblers looked vulnerable. (last week: 1)
2. Brother Rice (4-1): The Crusaders cruise to an easy crossover win over the weakest of the White teams. Big test this week vs the very hungry Caravan. (last week: 2)
3. JCA (5-0): A nice non-conference win over a talented Crete-Monee squad. The HIlltoppers should make light work of a down St. Laurence team this week (last week: 4)
4. St. Ignatius (5-0): These rankings are very much a 'what have you done for me lately thing'...and the Wolfpack had the win of the week so they leapfrog to #4. With a few 'easy' games upcoming, they might get passed by a few teams below them due to SoS considerations. (last week: 4)
5. Mount Carmel (4-1): No doubt the Caravan are still a state title contender. They got punched in the face last week but could set things straight quickly vs the Crusaders this week (last week: 3)
6. Marist (4-1): Tough dropping a team after a blowout win over a solid team on the road, but Marist has a shot to make some real noise this week. (last week: 5)
7. St. Rita (3-2): Another shutout victory for the Mustangs. Will be facing a hungry Nazareth team this weekend. (last week: 6)
8. Fenwick (3-2): Took the top team in state down to the final seconds. The Friars have no time for a letdown as a tough Marmion team comes to town (last week: 9)
9. Providence (3-2): A bit of a lackluster win at home vs a down MCC team. The Celtics will look to 'get right' vs Montini. (last week: 8)
10. Naz (2-3): The Roadrunners might be finding themselves a bit...two games is what we call a winning streak. Huge test this week vs the staunch defense of Rita (last week: 10)
13. ND (1-4): Dons get on the board. Another 'must-win' game vs Benet this week--although the same can be said for Benet who still have JCA on the schedule (last week: 15)
14. St. Patrick (3-2): Shamrocks no match for Rita. With Fenwick & Loyola still on the schedule, the Shamrocks are walking a tight rope. (last week: 12)
16. St. Viator (2-3): With Iggy and Mount Carmel still on the schedule, the Lions may have saw their playoff bubble pop in OT in Niles on Friday. (last week: 14)
17. Montini (2-3): Survived quite the scare. Very tough schedule ahead. (last week: 17)
18. Marian Central Catholic (2-3): These last few teams all lost this week. MCC may have had the most impressive loss so they get a bump (last week: 22)
I look forward to this thread every week! Thank you for putting in so much effort!

There have been truly surprising results through 5 weeks as you point out. The Ignatius win over MC was the most obvious, especially the margin of victory. I was impressed with the Wolfpack in the Spring against JCA. They play a very unique, ball-possession style of offense. They also play tough, aggressive defense. Going to be very interested to see how they do in the 6A playoffs. Their style of play would seem to lend itself to winning in the postseason, as the weather gets bad.

Some other surprising CCL/ESCC results:
How did CoM beat Lake Forest in Week 2? They've struggled every other week.
How does Fenwick extend LA to the limit (I realize without Maldanado) and lose to the Provi team I saw get waxed by JCA?
And not sure what to make of Naz or Montini.....although they seem to be going in opposite directions.

Reactions: Gene K.

You do a great job with this, and it's pretty much spot-on analysis. Keep it up!

Reactions: krock the house
My solicited opinion...

1) Loyola - top dog until defeated
2) Joliet Catholic - rolling to a 14-0 season
3) St. Ignatius - a threat to ESL in 6A? ;)
4) Mount Carmel - still have 2 quality wins
5) Brother Rice - haven't beaten anyone
6) Marist - going for 3 straight in Wilmette
7) St. Rita - house under repair for 4 more weeks
8) Providence - must win this week vs Bronco
9) Fenwick - horseshoes and hand grenades
10) Nazareth - heating up but now Mustang

My solicited opinion...

2) Joliet Catholic - rolling to a 14-0 season
5) Brother Rice - haven't beaten anyone
Rice will be the definite favorites at home in Week 7. JCA may benefit by catching them right after the MC game, but I expect the JCA defense to have a lot of trouble slowing down the Lausch-led Crusader offense. And if Rice gets their injured D-linemen back, they have the personnel on defense to slow down JCA's power running game.

Does anyone know why Benet / ND are playing on Thursday night?
Was originally supposed to be on Saturday, but some other conflict at Benedictine, it wasn't the college team as they are on the road this Saturday, so not exactly sure

Reactions: eireog
Maybe LF played 2nd and 3rd string all night, no idea how they lost to Carmel but are now ranked. I would say we might know more had Carmel played LHS in week one, but I think we already know enough.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT