ADVERTISEMENT

PC-StL Rematch with different look

PC Dad_MC Grad

Aug 22, 2018
I know week 2 is still in progress but looking for thoughts on PC-StL quarterfinals rematch. Of course both teams graduated a ton so we are obviously comparing apples and oranges. Thoughts? PC likely switching over to new QB with injury to starter last night. So far PC O-line has dominated first 2 opponents, understanding, of course, they didn’t play against 2 “kick-ass” defenses. Is StL D-line big enough of quick enough to stop PC running game? This, for me, is the intangible of this game. In addition, young, Pignotti-less PC D will get first real test if the year. Any Frank influence on this game? The Master has much experience coaching against Cogs.

ST L is young and small - but talented and quick. The Defense might be suspect to a big bruising type of running back - they can contain the outside but Benet was able to move the pile. On the pass, the secondary makes up for an average/slow rush up the middle. Offensively, the Vikes start 5 Sophs- they will gel real soon. Looking for the Vikes to keep it close and hope the 4Q goes their way (unlike the QF from last year). Over/Under = 72pts

Provi was very undisciplined last night. Inexperience showed again with too many penalties. Those penalties plus once Conway went out the O struggled to gel hence no running clock.

tmjgrady - PC has small but quick, agile RBs. Martus is small and runs low to ground. Once he hits the hole he is a punishing runner for a small guy. The kid runs and plays hard. The new kid on the block, Vaughn, is quick laterally. Once he gets outside then forget about it - he gone! Also watch out for speedster Jerrell Wright. It’s the PC O line that is big. Renfro is slowly but surely becoming a top notch D1 center recruit. In Renfro’s first two games he has punished the D lineman or LB that gets in his way. The kid is huge based on typical O center sizes.

Provi was very undisciplined last night. Inexperience showed again with too many penalties. Those penalties plus once Conway went out the O struggled to gel hence no running clock.

tmjgrady - PC has small but quick, agile RBs. Martus is small and runs low to ground. Once he hits the hole he is a punishing runner for a small guy. The kid runs and plays hard. The new kid on the block, Vaughn, is quick laterally. Once he gets outside then forget about it - he gone! Also watch out for speedster Jerrell Wright. It’s the PC O line that is big. Renfro is slowly but surely becoming a top notch D1 center recruit. In Renfro’s first two games he has punished the D lineman or LB that gets in his way. The kid is huge based on typical O center sizes.
I have PC as 18 pt. favorites I'm afraid

I have PC as 18 pt. favorites I'm afraid
The Gambletron 2000 has the Vikings as a 6 point dog. (3pts on neutral, add 3 for away game), with a 45 total. I think that they worked some of the kinks out against Joe's, and will hang around in this game.

Providence will win its way to playoff eligibility before being tested.

How is that Mr Speed? Even if they beat StL and SR then it puts them at 4-0, which is not playoff eligible, with game 5 against BR. Their next two games will shed some light on how good they are or how mediocre StL and SR are. I’m still not writing SR off just yet. One game at a time.

How is that Mr Speed? Even if they beat StL and SR then it puts them at 4-0, which is not playoff eligible, with game 5 against BR. Their next two games will shed some light on how good they are or how mediocre StL and SR are. I’m still not writing SR off just yet. One game at a time.

I know what playoff eligible means. I don't share the opinions on SR or BR of many on here. Not going any more negative than that.

Provi D has yet to be truly tested. This will tell the tale of their season.

I'd be more worried about the offense honestly. They're a function of their offensive line. QB1 is down. QB2 transferred. QB3 is on deck. Most teams can stop the run if they don't have to fear the pass. I think that's what you'll see. Neither RB is a "tackle-breaker".

I'd be more worried about the offense honestly. They're a function of their offensive line. QB1 is down. QB2 transferred. QB3 is on deck. Most teams can stop the run if they don't have to fear the pass. I think that's what you'll see. Neither RB is a "tackle-breaker".
Agree on that! That is why I’m very interested to see how the next 2 games pan out. I think Phillips will do fine at QB. They haven’t passed much because they didn’t have to. Porto, Marmol and Wright have been under utilized. We shall see come Friday night.

BTW, my point earlier is that they will be tested well before the BR game. If not this week then next week. I still think SR is much better than they have played.

The Gambletron 2000 has the Vikings as a 6 point dog. (3pts on neutral, add 3 for away game), with a 45 total. I think that they worked some of the kinks out against Joe's, and will hang around in this game.
I hope so - my confidence has grown since my declaration of an 18 pt dog -- and I'm jacked for the game on Friday - I believe we will see a good competitive game - Vikes will always compete

tmjgrady - if you are coming to game swing over to the Men’s Club bus/tent in west parking lot. We are having a pig roast. Food served around 630ish.

Reactions: tmjgrady
Agree on that! That is why I’m very interested to see how the next 2 games pan out. I think Phillips will do fine at QB. They haven’t passed much because they didn’t have to. Porto, Marmol and Wright have been under utilized. We shall see come Friday night.

BTW, my point earlier is that they will be tested well before the BR game. If not this week then next week. I still think SR is much better than they have played.
There’s only two reasons why you’d start a Soph QB. Either he’s the tits or you’re grooming him to get better. From the offense they’ve showed I don’t think it’s the first one. Now you’re at least a rung lower.

There’s only two reasons why you’d start a Soph QB. Either he’s the tits or you’re grooming him to get better. From the offense they’ve showed I don’t think it’s the first one. Now you’re at least a rung lower.
Soph QB was heavily sought by many schools. Dad is MC alum and i graduated with him in same year. Don’t know for a fact but I think he got the nod to start to get him experience (your latter reason) and he ran the offense well in camp. From what I was told the Sr QB did well in camp both soph nudged him out. I hope PC shoes more variety to the O this week. As you stated, can’t keep running the ball because it eventually catches up with you although Provi sicceeeded last year by running the ball.

Tell you what.....St. Laurence might not end up having a great record this year but I do know they have a ton of young talent and the next two years they could be a state title contender in 5A/6A.

StL is doing the latter as well. Two sophs battled it out for the starting job this summer, because there was a hole in the position depth chart for a year (realistically, two years). Coach Blackmon had no choice this year, but both kids will be better for it in the long run.

StL is doing the latter as well. Two sophs battled it out for the starting job this summer, because there was a hole in the position depth chart for a year (realistically, two years). Coach Blackmon had no choice this year, but both kids will be better for it in the long run.
I completely agree. Makes great sense. That's why I don't want to talk about their current year. Focus is on the future.

In Provi's case, probably the same. But if injuries and transfers have you down to QB3, your biggest concern probably shouldn't be your defense.

Very few sophs are capable of varsity success at the higher levels IMO. The few who get the chance and succeed are bona fide studs that coaches utilize and build their gameplans around. That wasn't what we saw from the highly recruited kid with the unfortunate injury.

Reactions: IgorStL
I completely agree. Makes great sense. That's why I don't want to talk about their current year. Focus is on the future.

In Provi's case, probably the same. But if injuries and transfers have you down to QB3, your biggest concern probably shouldn't be your defense.

Very few sophs are capable of varsity success at the higher levels IMO. The few who get the chance and succeed are bona fide studs that coaches utilize and build their gameplans around. That wasn't what we saw from the highly recruited kid with the unfortunate injury.
We saw him in the freshman game last year. Solid kid, going to be a really good QB. However, he's not a fifteen year old John Elway, and that is not a knock on him in any way. He's GOING TO BE a really good QB. There's a long way to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mr. Speed
Tell you what.....St. Laurence might not end up having a great record this year but I do know they have a ton of young talent and the next two years they could be a state title contender in 5A/6A.
I like your thinking Edgy, I will settle for '15 Semis; '16 Semis; '17 Quarters; '18 Rebuild; '19 State; '20 State........

Reactions: IgorStL
Talked with StL dad after game who was not very happy. I told him that those boys (Vikings) will be very good over the next 2 years. He seemed not to agree or want to agree. I told him be patient. With Blackmon and the Legend now part of StL things will be very good for StL. #28 looked good. Thought it was going to be a long night after Viking first drive but than bam a quick Celtic adjustment (I’m guessing) and StL offense hit a wall. For the third game in a row the PC O line just wore down opponents D line. I was on the field in the 2nd so I got a closer look and the StL D line was gassed by early 4th Q. PC/SR next week. Should be good game but again does SR have the D line and LBs to stop the Martus/Vaughn train led by the Renfro and company wrecking crew? Martus and Vaughn after 3 games combined for over 900 yards of offense and 13 TDS and Vaughn didn’t play much in Q1 last night. One game at a time!

Reactions: tmjgrady
Talked with StL dad after game who was not very happy. I told him that those boys (Vikings) will be very good over the next 2 years. He seemed not to agree or want to agree. I told him be patient. With Blackmon and the Legend now part of StL things will be very good for StL. #28 looked good. Thought it was going to be a long night after Viking first drive but than bam a quick Celtic adjustment (I’m guessing) and StL offense hit a wall. For the third game in a row the PC O line just wore down opponents D line. I was on the field in the 2nd so I got a closer look and the StL D line was gassed by early 4th Q. PC/SR next week. Should be good game but again does SR have the D line and LBs to stop the Martus/Vaughn train led by the Renfro and company wrecking crew? Martus and Vaughn after 3 games combined for over 900 yards of offense and 13 TDS and Vaughn didn’t play much in Q1 last night. One game at a time!
Lack of Size and Conditioning for certain - I was impressed with the Celtics for sure and STL will be ok - I know some of the football dads want immediate results - especially after the last few seasons -

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT