ADVERTISEMENT

On December 17, 2019 District football was repealed

SOUTHSIDECFD

Oct 1, 2009
The vote was 374-241.

In the last four years has the proposers of this by-law change convinced you enough that it should be passed? Have they done enough to flip the vote? Yes No?

Sorry I edited this. I was trying to post a poll.

Last edited:
On December 17, 2019 District football was repealed by a vote of 374- 241. In the last four years has the proposers of this by-law change convinced you enough that it should be passed.
It was repealed once districts were announced. The original proposal for districts passed. There won't be the option to repeal this time before districts would go into effect in 2024. If teams want this they will need to vote on it blind and go along with whatever districts are formed after the vote.

No!

Over and under 345 against and 255 for it. Once people saw what it looked like last time they did not want it. I don't think they did a good job of selling it to the people who voted against it last time.

Steve Soucie was interviewed today. If you listen to the entire broadcast the two announcers were against District Football. They had talked to number of coaches and AD's who would not vote for it. Maybe I"m wrong but, the proposers of this have to flip about 134 vote from last time. I don't think they got the votes.

When Steve brought up the problems with the proposal to it’s authors they had no answers but to say that will be for the IHSA to figure out. First there are not enough teams to do this as written. Steve added teams from the CPS that do not qualify for the playoffs from Chicago. A lot of those teams did not play full seasons because of forfeits. During the interview Steve stated he knew of another team today that will be going to 8 man football.

So if there are not enough teams to do as written how do you fix it? Does 1A get less teams or does 8A? Than qualification for the playoffs has to change for that class. Who decides who gets a leg up and who does not? Steve said under that scenario its possible for a 2-7 to make it in the playoff. Again the authors of the proposals had no answers. As far as the travel for Moline goes I guess if its not you - you don’t care. So if it doesn’t effect 95% of the teams than XXXX-off to the other teams.

One thing they got wrong on the program is no one has week one and two games. A lot of teams have signed contracts for next year. Rita has a week one game with Sandburg and I would think they will want that honored. One thing they did get right is it’s going to be dog eats dog to get games week one and two since they do count for the playoffs.

Last edited:
Were we listening to the same podcast?

Steve Soucie was interviewed today. If you listen to the entire broadcast the two announcers were against District Football. They had talked to number of coaches and AD's who would not vote for it. Maybe I"m wrong but, the proposers of this have to flip about 134 vote from last time. I don't think they got the votes.
I listened to the podcast and both hosts were against it but they said multiple times that the coaches they sent out surveys to, about 40, I think, were split, with more small schools being in favor of it.

When Steve brought up the problems with the proposal to it’s authors they had no answers but to say that will be for the IHSA to figure out.
Where did he say he spoke with anyone from Mahomet-Seymour? That's who submitted the proposal. He said several times that HE didn't have the answers because of all the unknowns, but never mentioned anyone form Mahomet.

So if there are not enough teams to do as written how do you fix it? Does 1A get less teams or does 8A? Than qualification for the playoffs has to change for that class. Who decides who gets a leg up and who does not? Steve said under that scenario its possible for a 2-7 to make it in the playoff. Again the authors of the proposals had no answers. As far as the travel for Moline goes I guess if its not you - you don’t care. So if it doesn’t effect 95% of the teams than XXXX-off to the other teams.
Creating even teams throughout all classes would be an issue.

I know it's only a one game difference, but he said multiple times that a 3-6 team could get in, not a 2-7 team. His example was a team going 3-4 in district and 0-2 out of district and still finishing 4th in their district. If it doesn't effect 95% then yes, it shouldn't matter. Why should the 5% be catered to over the vast majority?
One thing they got wrong on the program is no one has week one and two games. A lot of teams have signed contracts for next year. Rita has a week one game with Sandburg and I would think they will want that honored. One thing they did get right is it’s going to be dog eats dog to get games week one and two since they do count for the playoffs.
He was referencing that if districts passes then no one would have a week 1 or 2 game. I see no reason why existing contracts for weeks 1 and 2 couldn't still be honored in that case.

They count for playoff seeding, but not making the playoffs.

Reminder......the actual voting is done by school principals not ADs or coaches...and unfortunately in more cases than not what the coaches/AD want is not always the way these things get voted.....sadly. Those votes get campaigned for favors back and forth etc.

I've spoken to coaches about it all over the state and last week in particular focused on Central and Southern Illinois and I was really surprised how on board they are all pretty much telling me they are voting no..and that was not the case on the first go around....I still don't feel comfortable about it failing but I do feel more encouraged the more people I've spoken with lately.

On Soucie's interview, he said he expected it to be within 25 votes either way and I tend to agree with him.

Over the year, the Leg committee has shown that they know how to count votes. Very few things which are proposed are defeated, let alone soundly defeated.

To Edgy's point, it sounds like more central IL teams arevoting no this time. However, I am hearing that a least a few suburban schools are voting for it, which I don't recall last time.

The only block which is soundly against it is the CCL.

Reactions: 4Afan
However, I am hearing that a least a few suburban schools are voting for it, which I don't recall last time
Yes. As I’ve read the half dozen threads on districts but commented rarely if at all, this makes sense. Districts seems to be a fever dream for Lake County and DuPage County admins. Their populaces have diverse enrollment numbers spread out among many schools per whatever land size unit one would use.

This insulates these schools from many of the negatives of districts the other 80-90% of the schools will bear whether it’s travel times or not having to play vulnerable programs or any of the other smaller inconveniences of districts.

I can see yes votes coming from the larger collar counties and yes votes from around the state that favor any type of automating processes (whether net positive or net negative would not matter, automation = easier = less responsibility = a good thing to these type of yes voters) and then yes votes from low info admins that didn’t even play out any scenarios in their vote, just see vote, sounds good, vote.

Then I see no votes from everyone else.

What does that equal? We’ll find out in a couple weeks.

Were we listening to the same podcast?

I know it's only a one game difference, but he said multiple times that a 3-6 team could get in, not a 2-7 team. His example was a team going 3-4 in district and 0-2 out of district and still finishing 4th in their district. If it doesn't effect 95% then yes, it shouldn't matter. Why should the 5% be catered to over the vast majority?
listen again at the 2:03.00 to 2:03.10 he does say he has a scenario for a 2-7 team.

listen again at the 2:03.00 to 2:03.10 he does say he has a scenario for a 2-7 team.
You left out the part where that was a hypothetical based on there being 16-17 districts in a given class.

Yes. As I’ve read the half dozen threads on districts but commented rarely if at all, this makes sense. Districts seems to be a fever dream for Lake County and DuPage County admins. Their populaces have diverse enrollment numbers spread out among many schools per whatever land size unit one would use.

This insulates these schools from many of the negatives of districts the other 80-90% of the schools will bear whether it’s travel times or not having to play vulnerable programs or any of the other smaller inconveniences of districts.

I can see yes votes coming from the larger collar counties and yes votes from around the state that favor any type of automating processes (whether net positive or net negative would not matter, automation = easier = less responsibility = a good thing to these type of yes voters) and then yes votes from low info admins that didn’t even play out any scenarios in their vote, just see vote, sounds good, vote.

Then I see no votes from everyone else.

What does that equal? We’ll find out in a couple weeks.
So Mr. Soup the CCL just did a conference realignment. Are they going to play in a Districts or are they going their own way? Has there been internal vote? Has anyone contacted the CCL from the IHSA or the the sponsor of this proposal? I'm also hearing (from Simeon) the CPS has NOT made a commitment to this. They may only allow their top teams 10-14 to going into Districts. The rest are going to stay in internal leagues after looking at the dismal record on the opening round in this year's playoffs.

So Mr. Soup the CCL just did a conference realignment. Are they going to play in a Districts or are they going their own way? Has there been internal vote? Has anyone contacted the CCL from the IHSA or the the sponsor of this proposal? I'm also hearing (from Simeon) the CPS has NOT made a commitment to this. They may only allow their top teams 10-14 to going into Districts. The rest are going to stay in internal leagues after looking at the dismal record on the opening round in this year's playoffs.
You can call me Rock😂.

Heck I don’t know, I was stunned or blind-sided that the realignment was made and approved during the season and couldn’t believe some of the adjustments in the realignment that they all agreed to. So I’m nowhere close to know any inside info that could answer your questions but maybe someone here can help.

You left out the part where that was a hypothetical based on there being 16-17 districts in a given class.
He did say that there are not enough teams to do this and unless they gerrymander stuff with crossovers.

Do you think Soucie's sample districts helped or hurt this vote? And the other two guys on this were a little stronger against this than I thought they were going to be.

Again 133 votes is a big flip.

But the plus I see is the good schools can go Big Time in weeks one and two like MS and ESL have done in the past because there are guaranteed six or seven wins in there districts. MS almost has that now in their league.

He did say that there are not enough teams to do this and unless they gerrymander stuff with crossovers.

Do you think Soucie's sample districts helped or hurt this vote? And the other two guys on this were a little stronger against this than I thought they were going to be.

Again 133 votes is a big flip.

But the plus I see is the good schools can go Big Time in weeks one and two like MS and ESL have done in the past because there are guaranteed six or seven wins in there districts. MS almost has that now in their league.
Who says it's still 133 votes to flip? That was 133 four years ago. Quite a bit has changed for many schools since then. 8 man has been created in Illinois, teams like Alleman, that were discussed on the podcast, that didn't even field a team this past year. More schools have more to think about and may have changed their minds in the past 4 years. Also have to consider that schools may have different administrators since the last vote who have different views or don't get along with their ADs.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
It's probably a bit better in the 7-8A and maybe even 6A, but 5A is really brutal on in some of those proposed Soucie districts. 4A as well. And it's basically all those CPS schools. To Naz specifically, even if week 1+2 are scheduled right I see maybe 15 solid quarters (depending on GBS) of regular season tape they can put out in regular seasons. Some will counter petitioning up, which perhaps they'd have to consider, but along with JCA, St Francis, IC and others, I don't think there is a windows to do it by 2024. So they're stuck for at least a year.

No!

Over and under 345 against and 255 for it. Once people saw what i looked like last time they did not want it. I don't think they did a good job of selling it to the people who voted against it last time.

When Steve brought up the problems with the proposal to it’s authors they had no answers but to say that will be for the IHSA to figure out. First there are not enough teams to do this as written. Steve added teams from the CPS that do not qualify for the playoffs from Chicago. A lot of those teams did not play full seasons because of forfeits. During the interview Steve stated he knew of another team today that will be going to 8 man football.

All.... The "new" CS8 which is going to have two divisions next year has been set up for W1 and W2 non con games or additional crossovers. Just about all of the 12 schools have already filled those dates most with two year commitments. If this thing passes it will be interesting to see how many in the conference keep those games or go looking for greener pastures. Some scheduled heavy hitters. Ratsy

The question is out of 374 who voted no on this when they saw the sample districts, how many would change their vote this time?

I can see 15-20 schools change there vote to yes, but how many yes votes now become no.

What is the big event that changes the vote.

Reactions: Snetsrak61
The question is out of 374 who voted no on this when they saw the sample districts, how many would change their vote this time?

I can see 15-20 schools change there vote to yes, but how many yes votes now become no.

What is the big event that changes the vote.
Who says it's still 133 votes to flip? That was 133 four years ago. Quite a bit has changed for many schools since then. 8 man has been created in Illinois, teams like Alleman, that were discussed on the podcast, that didn't even field a team this past year. More schools have more to think about and may have changed their minds in the past 4 years. Also have to consider that schools may have different administrators since the last vote who have different views or don't get along with their ADs.
Refer to my previous post. There's multiple factors as to which schools would vote a certain way versus 4 years ago. There's not one big change, it's dependent on each school and what has changed for them since the last vote.

Refer to my previous post. There's multiple factors as to which schools would vote a certain way versus 4 years ago. There's not one big change, it's dependent on each school and what has changed for them since the last vote.
I would bet that 25% or even more have a new principal, who will make a new decision. 25% is about 125 schools. That's too many to predict what could happen. Get the vote out!!!

I would bet that 25% or even more have a new principal, who will make a new decision. 25% is about 125 schools. That's too many to predict what could happen. Get the vote out!!!
Without reason to believe otherwise I'd assume the 25% is evenly represented from yays and nays and is equally as likely to flip or stay the same. Would be surprising if school admin changes became the driver to change the vote.

Only in the IHSA would Rockford (KIKIFER'S Entrepreneurial Academy) (Enrollment 1 student) and Pittsfield (Pike County Christian Academy) (Enrollment 5 students) votes count as much as Berwyn-Cicero (Morton) (enrollment 7778.5) and Waukegan (H.S.) (enrollment 4457).

I think the vote is out, or soon will be and will be made public on the 19th. Those more in the know and with more connections seem to think this will be close and will either pass or fail by +/- 25 votes.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT