ADVERTISEMENT

Old School Grass Fields.

MIKEFTB

Jul 7, 2001
Bolingbrook IL
As we've seen over the past decade or better many schools have installed field turf that looks really nice with the team logo in the middle and the clearly visible yard lines that hold up and even the heaviest rains.

However there are still some schools that still play in a natural grass field so I thought it would be cool to start a list of schools still going old school on grass. I will start with these schools and if you know any more please add them to the group.

DUNDEE CROWN
GLENBARD WEST
NEUQUA VALLEY
OSWEGO
OSWEGO EAST
PROVISO WEST
WAUBONSIE VALLEY

Sycamore (the nicest field I’ve seen in 25 years)
Kaneland
Ottawa
Streator
Coal city
Seneca

That’s all I can think of right now that I’ve been to in my area

Reactions: MIKEFTB
RC just got turf. Herscher I believe will next year, if they didn't get it this year. Then obviously Lisle at BU is on turf.
Herscher has turf now, baseball and softball fields almost done.. new football building and football bleachers for next year.. something like $10M on athletic facilities, not bad for a 3A downstate school

Heard Momence getting it next year

Lakes feels like an odd one in that it is the same school district and only about 3 miles southeast of Antioch.
Yet Antioch has a fine-looking football arena with turf and Lakes’ setup looks like something very small-schoolish out of the 1960s, including real grass.
Antioch is the old school in the district and Lakes is the newer one.

Lakes feels like an odd one in that it is the same school district and only about 3 miles southeast of Antioch.
Yet Antioch has a fine-looking football arena with turf and Lakes’ setup looks like something very small-schoolish out of the 1960s, including real grass.
That's interesting because in Indian Prairie District 204 there are three schiols. Waubonsie Valley the oldest and Neuqua Valley which opened over 25 years ago both continue to play on grass football fields, but when Metea Valley the youngest school was built over 10 years ago they installed field turf during the construction.

Most familiar with IP 204 know if WV and NV wanted to install field turf they could do it in a minute but they chose not to and that's their right as members of the District. The two schools soccer teams play on their own seperate fields. MV plays soccer on the football turf

One school got a turf field. One school got a field house.

Lakes stadium is one of the rare no tracks stadiums.

Thornwood is grass. MC had to play a mud bowl in the playoffs a couple years ago

From an equipment manager’s standpoint I love turf fields. Uniforms stay cleaner longer! There was nothing worse than spending thousands on away uniforms, going to New Trier and having that nasty green ruin all your uniforms!!

Sycamore (the nicest field I’ve seen in 25 years)
Kaneland
Ottawa
Streator
Coal city
Seneca

That’s all I can think of right now that I’ve been to in my area

I would put the grass at Sycamore up against any grass field anywhere. That includes any college or pro grass field.

Their grass looks like it's turf on video.

I would put the grass at Sycamore up against any grass field anywhere. That includes any college or pro grass field.

Their grass looks like it's turf on video.
It does! I was looking at a satellite image of it and it really does look like turf that's awesome whoever maintains that field dies a great job

From an equipment manager’s standpoint I love turf fields. Uniforms stay cleaner longer! There was nothing worse than spending thousands on away uniforms, going to New Trier and having that nasty green ruin all your uniforms!!
MS.. New Trier plays on turf now at the Northfield campus correct?

WB6
Moline is the only one I think

TRAC
Princetown
Morrison
Riverdale
Erie-Prophetstown
Sherrard
Kewanee
Bureau Valley
Spring Valley/Hall
Orion
Rockridge
(Pretty much everyone except Mendota and Newman)

Others:
Milledgeville
Polo
Rock Falls
Byron
Dixon
Probably at least a dozen others.

Tons of grass fields in the Northwest corner of Illinois

Chicago Christian is grass. A generous donor was willing to pay for turf, but the school declined. That was a head scratcher for me

They share a large cluster of tennis courts across the street and the Antioch "red and grey" courts are always left shabby compared to the blue Lakes courts.

WB6
Moline is the only one I think

TRAC
Princetown
Morrison
Riverdale
Erie-Prophetstown
Sherrard
Kewanee
Bureau Valley
Spring Valley/Hall
Orion
Rockridge
(Pretty much everyone except Mendota and Newman)

Others:
Milledgeville
Polo
Rock Falls
Byron
Dixon
Probably at least a dozen others.

Tons of grass fields in the Northwest corner of Illinois
Nice! Do Geneseo & Sterling have turf?

Here are some that I recall

Belvidere
Belvidere North
Boylan
Hononegah
Rockford Lutheran
Stillman Valley
Byron
North Boone
Thanks, I was hoping that we would hear from the Rockford area..I was lookibg at satellite images of that area. It looks like Harlem has turf and Auburn and there is a public turf field that is probably used by a few schools.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT