ADVERTISEMENT

Off Season Q: Greatest IHSA Football Player You've Seen

Mike Burden-Palatine 92-95

3 time all state went to Ohio State and played as a true freshman until legal problems killed his career.

Honorable mention:
Jon Scheiwgert WWS 97-98
Terry Hawthorne EStl 07-08

Best Defensive player: Mike Burden-Palatine, Chris Zorich-CVS, Matt Roth-Willowbrook, Dan Rumishek-Addison Trail, Mark Nigro 85-87 Willowbrook
Best Offensive: John Dergo-Morris, Michael Turner-North Chicago, Riley Lees-Libertyville, Jim Tumilty-Naperville Central, Sam Brodner-Glenbard West, Mike Alstott-JCA, Brasic-RB, Davaris Daniels-VH

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
Eric Parker, Joliet Township to U Tenn w/ Manning, to SD Chargers. Freak athlete should be mentioned.
Chris Watt O Line, Glenbard West to ND, to SD Chargers.
Roth, Willowbrook
Randle El
Terry Hawthorne
Jon Beutjer/Jon Schweighardt
edit because... Flozelle

Last edited:
Eric Kumerow (OPRF). Offense, Defense, punted, kicked and was usually the flyer after the kick and absolutely devastated people after the punt or kick at 6-6 235. Absolute beast.

Mike Burden on film was/is sensational. They used to show him to is to show the "good old days." Someone you couldn't run at or run away from.

Reactions: kpjasion
Really hard to pick one
From JCA-JR Zwierzynski and Ty Isaac. Both dominant backs. JR would fall for 4 yards and when healthy, Ty was a threat to score every time he touched the ball.

Best defensive player I played against - Mike Burden (Pal.)/Kurt Belisle (BMac)
Best Offensive Player I played against - Lee Lafayette (BMac)/D McNabb (MC)
Best I ever saw in person - Jamie Baisley (LA)/Mike Alstott (JC)
Best I ever played with - Jarett Romanski (LA)/Mike Desherow (LA)
My favorite of all time - Jack Prikos (LA)

Mike Burden on film was/is sensational. They used to show him to is to show the "good old days." Someone you couldn't run at or run away from.
We played Palatine first game my senior year (LA 21 Pal 0) and Petricca started Burden at RB. He moved to LB after the 2nd half....we didn't get a first down after halftime. He was absolutely dominant. Sideline to sideline was incredible. Burden did this weird thing with his arms while in his stance...almost like he was mimicking and airplane.

Best defensive player I played against - Mike Burden (Pal.)/Kurt Belisle (BMac)
Best Offensive Player I played against - Lee Lafayette (BMac)/D McNabb (MC)
Best I ever saw in person - Jamie Baisley (LA)/Mike Alstott (JC)
Best I ever played with - Jarett Romanski (LA)/Mike Desherow (LA)
My favorite of all time - Jack Prikos (LA)

I like the best you ever played against question.

Best I ever played against:
Offense: Andy Gasperro (Marian) or Curtis Lipsey (St Pats)
Defense: Eddie Sutter (Peoria Richwoods)

Riley Lees Libertyville, I believe the first to ever pass for 2,000 yards and rush for 2,000 yards in a season.
Mark Carlson Deerfield QB 1975

Best offensive player: Hickey Thompson. There has not been a better running back in the state. Ever. More than 3100 yards in just "13" games. We had a open date week nine, so we only played 13 games that year, but Hick got tossed in 1Q against EVILLE (that was BS - and the only game under 200 yards) and he played deep into the second half only twice. This was against big-boy competition too.

Overall - DERGO.

Reactions: 89morrisgrad
That I've seen?

QB- Jon Beutjer/Donovan McNabb
RB- Ty Isaac/Mike Alstott/Don Dorham
WR- Ricky Smallings/Miles Boykin/ PJ Fleck
OL- Arthur Ray/Tony Pape/Jason Horn

Defense-
DL- Bryant Young/Steve Richardson/Oliver Gibson
LB- Jerry Schumacher/Pete Bursich
DB- Jamie Baisley/Eric Thigpen

Mike Tomczak was an obvious next-level throwing QB at TF North before going off to Ohio State followed by 15 years in the NFL, most notably with the Bears and Steelers. In college he was a 3-year starter guiding the Bucks to 3 straight 9-3 seasons. His senior year for OSU, he completed almost 60% of his passes for just shy of 2000 yards. He threw some balls, especially long ones, of the type not usually seen in most HS games.

Discussed this thread with a co-worker who was a CCL guy, I mentioned Dergo and he said without question Corey Rogers from Leo.

Reactions: pjjp and USD24
Discussed this thread with a co-worker who was a CCL guy, I mentioned Dergo and he said without question Corey Rogers from Leo.
Corey was a beast. Leo went to the semi finals that year in 4A (out of 6 classes then) and lost to eventual champs JCA. He was 98% of their offense, you knew he was getting the ball, you just had to stop him, which not many teams did.

Since I really only get out and see the FVC, I have say Samson Evans is the best I've seen in person. CG had a kid, Kyle Norberg, in 2012 that played fullback in his senior season. Ran for 2,200 yards and 27 touchdowns and had amazing breakaway speed. Fun to watch. Too bad he ran into Laquon Treadwell and Nyles Morgan in the state finals.

Since my alma mater has only played football since 2002, I have a limited experience with players I have actually seen play...but a couple jump out.

Kicker...yes, a kicker...In Manteno's very first home varsity game in 2002, they hosted the Tanner Roark & Tony Vercelli led Wilmington Wildcats who went to the semis that year...a thrashing occurred as expected...but the play of the game had to be the Cats lining up for a 52 yard field goal for the very first FG attempt in stadium history...which Shane Longest hit easily, setting a stadium record which will likely never be broken...Longest ended up trying out for the Bears...

Nick Nasti, Plano...averaged 8 ypc as the dive back in the double wing, and was a even better LB for the back to back state champs...

Watched in other sports...

Thomas Guynes, McNamara...my younger brother was friends with him from wrestling & track...of course, my brother was a 245 pound 4 year cross country runner wrestling against the future Wolverine & Cardinal tackle...lol

Offense Terry Hill---ESL
Homer Bush ESL
Chris Moore ESL
Hickey Thompson Althoff
Jerome Heavens ESL Assumpsion

Defense
Orlando Pope ESL Lincoln
Dana Howard ESL
Bryan Cox ESL
Cleveland Crosby ESL

Old School......

Since nobody has mentioned his name yet I guess none of you ever saw Simeon Rice play his SR year. He hardly played as a JR so he was never ranked, but his SR year he had to be the best defensive player in the nation and his college and pro career proved it. He was the 2nd pick in the NFL draft and although I might be wrong I can't remember any other IHSA player taken that high.

But if you want a surprise choice the best offensive I ever saw was Cordiss Collins. A pal of mine who taught near his school took me to see him play football since he knew I heard of him because he was one of the top b-ball prospects in the nation, He dominated and was totally sensational. But of course went to Kansas to play b-ball and led them to a national title his Soph year, but that was his moment of glory. But if he stuck with football I believe he would have been an NFL star.

Offense Terry Hill---ESL
Homer Bush ESL
Chris Moore ESL
Hickey Thompson Althoff

Defense
Orlando Pope ESL Lincoln
Dana Howard ESL
Bryan Cox ESL
Cleveland Crosby ESL

Old School......

I still remember Chris Moore doing the Heisman pose after scoring in the State Championship, was an amazing talent.

Offense Terry Hill---ESL
Homer Bush ESL
Chris Moore ESL
Hickey Thompson Althoff

Defense
Orlando Pope ESL Lincoln
Dana Howard ESL
Bryan Cox ESL
Cleveland Crosby ESL

Old School......

Both Terry Hawthorne and Jeff Thomas can be added to that list.

Reactions: flyerforlife
That I've seen?

QB- Jon Beutjer/Donovan McNabb
RB- Ty Isaac/Mike Alstott/Don Dorham
WR- Ricky Smallings/Miles Boykin/ PJ Fleck
OL- Arthur Ray/Tony Pape/Jason Horn

Defense-
DL- Bryant Young/Steve Richardson/Oliver Gibson
LB- Jerry Schumacher/Pete Bursich
DB- Jamie Baisley/Eric Thigpen

For MC on D my top 3 are Simeon Rice, Richardson, Schumacher. I am told Furjanic from the early 80's but never saw him play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT